Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAnthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.

Go down 
+10
kan_t
pczach
kirklandrules
BlackAndGold
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Hawaii 5-0
tony hipchest
Master_Of_Puppets
DesertSteel
El-Gonzo Jackson
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pczach

pczach

Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
So Chickillo is standing out quite a bit with his quickness, hand skills and toughness.  Who would have thought that was going to happen ??  Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 2800024739

apparently nobody in the NFL,  he was still on the board at pick 212 Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 2087824411

Charlie at WalterFootball.com had Chikillo as a 4th round prospect.  After seeing him at the Shrine Game and Combine I was impressed with his quickness, motor, toughness and pass rush skill, but thought he projected as a 4-3DE.  Now that he is in the 255 lb range, I think he is going to take time to learn playing standing up, but is a gem.

I agree. I watched him play and the way he was used. I really liked what I saw and thought he wasn't always playing to his strengths in the defense he was in. He has natural quickness, a great motor, he uses his hands well, has a feel for the game, and seems to have some intangibles to go with his abilities. The kid could play.

I thought he would be gone earlier in the draft. I was very happy when they drafted him.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 am

Give him a year to develop and I think the Steelers would get their starting OLB. Before the Training Camp I think he would compete with Howard Jones for the final spot. Now I think he would be a legit challenge to Jarvis Jones.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Chickillo takes the next step

Posted May 9, 2016
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Anthony Chickillo made huge strides in his first NFL season.

A year ago, Anthony Chickillo was going through what this year’s rookie class just went through. From dealing with the NFL Scouting Combine, to the NFL Draft, and then rookie minicamp, he experienced it all.

And to say it was a learning experience, from the beginning of minicamp to the end of the season, is an understatement.

The linebacker learned what life in the NFL is like, every aspect of it, from the good and the bad.

The reality of it all hit early on when he was released from the team on the final cut down day before the regular season, signed back to the practice squad a day later, and then eventually brought up to the active roster a few weeks later.

It was a whirlwind that opened his eyes up to what taking that next step in football is really all about.

“I didn’t know I was going to get cut, but they made a business decision and that’s part of it,” said Chickillo. “I’m just happy to be here. I like being here. I want to be here as long as I can.”

The learning didn’t end there for the Steelers’ 2015 sixth-round draft pick. Chickillo came to the Steelers after playing defensive end at the University of Miami and had to make the transition to outside linebacker in the Steelers 3-4 defense. So not only was he adjusting to a completely different defensive scheme, he was adjusting to a new position.

“There was some, maybe not doubt, but you’re not used to that, you’re out of your comfort zone,” said Chickillo. “Learning a new position was the toughest thing for me. I was out of my comfort zone, not having done it before in college. I hadn’t played since little league, playing standing up.

“There were different things I had to do, just playing in space, dropping in coverage. Those are things I didn’t do in college. I was strictly hand in the dirt, playing more like a defensive tackle than an outside edge rusher. So that was a learning experience for me.”

Chickillo relied heavily on others for help, from defensive coordinator Keith Butler, to fellow linebackers James Harrison, Arthur Moats and Jarvis Jones. But it was the tutelage of linebackers coach Joey Porter, the two working in tandem, that made the transition go smoothly.

“He explains things always so we can understand,” said Chickillo. “He makes it simple for us so we can understand. He is just a great motivator. He makes you really want to play hard for him because you don’t want to let him down. He’s been huge for me overall and for me learning how to play outside linebacker. I learned that I can play in this league.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Chickillo-takes-the-next-step/234b07e5-63d4-4179-a0f3-d7ea8beeb570
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 12:22 am

Will be interesting to see if he is comfortable this preseason standing up now as opposed to playing with hand in the dirt. He has the same measurables as Nate Orchard did last year, but Orchard played in space. When he did get time last season, he just looked hesitant and like he was overthinking, instead of just playing.

I still believe that Chickillo can make the conversion from DE and be a Clark Haggans type OLB for the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 1:03 am

I stand by what I said last year. He would be a legit challenge to Jarvis Jones in the coming season.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2016 1:20 pm

A caring cut for Chickillo

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Getting 'cut' isn't normally good for a football player, except in this case.

Linebacker Anthony Chickillo is sporting a new look this offseason, his long signature hair replaced by a shorter cut.

The new look has nothing to do with getting ready for the warm summer weather, or just wanting a change of pace.

Chickillo cut it off to benefit Wigs for Kids, a nonprofit organization that donates wigs to kids who are losing their hair because of medical reasons.

“I just felt like it was a good thing I could do,” said Chickillo. “I knew I could grow mine back so I thought it was a good thing. I saw it online one day, I saw someone had done it, and I thought it was a good thing I could do.”

Wigs for Kids requires you cut off at least six to seven inches of hair, and it wasn’t a problem for Chickillo who had eight inches cut off.

“I wish I could see whoever gets it, but I know it will make someone happy,” he said. “It’s something good you can do for someone else.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-caring-cut-for-Chickillo/87badd1e-f5cd-410a-89a9-192296cab8fd
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Some Hall of Fame advice for Chickillo

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Linebacker Anthony Chickillo definitely considers himself a student of the game. Entering his second season, he is open to any avenue where he can learn something new, pick up tips, and continue to grow as a player.

He just never expected one of those avenues would be learning from a Hall of Fame linebacker.

While Chickillo was working out recently at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016, stopped by. He ran into Chickillo and spent some time giving the young linebacker some tricks of the trade.

“It was awesome to hear what he said,” said Chickillo. “He was such an approachable guy. Sometimes guys like him, who have had that success, won’t spend the time to talk to you. As soon as I talked to him he was asking me questions and started telling me things he used to do. I am a football historian so it was really cool to meet him too.”

READ MORE: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Some-Hall-of-Fame-advice-for-Chickillo/75903db3-5898-422d-b3f6-2506c72d926c

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 12:43 pm

I'm kinda curious to see how Chickillo progressed after a year in the system. I've heard he's done well in training camp last year, I'm hoping he can push Jarvis Jones for a chance to start
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
I'm kinda curious to see how Chickillo progressed after a year in the system. I've heard he's done well in training camp last year, I'm hoping he can push Jarvis Jones for a chance to start

I'll be surprised if he can push Jones for the starting spot, but pleasantly surprised.

Chickillo was more likely an undersized 4-3DE, that Miami asked to bulk up to 275 and play as an undersized 3-4 DE. Bigger learning curve, as he didn't really play on the outside in college. But, I like his motor, quickness, heavy hands, football IQ and the fact he was defensive all star at Under Armour highschool game and East West Shrine game defensive MVP. The kid just can play football and has done it well at every level.

I've said I think he can be a Clark Haggans type guy and I hope he shows that this season, to again make the 53 and get some rotational snaps at OLB. Would be good to know that we have 2 or 3 guys that can play OLB going into 2017.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 3:53 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I'll be surprised if he can push Jones for the starting spot, but pleasantly surprised.

Chickillo was more likely an undersized 4-3DE, that Miami asked to bulk up to 275  and play as an undersized 3-4 DE.  Bigger learning curve, as he didn't really play on the outside in college.  But, I like his motor, quickness, heavy hands, football IQ and the fact he was defensive all star at Under Armour highschool game and East West Shrine game defensive MVP.  The kid just can play football and has done it well at every level.

I've said I think he can be a Clark Haggans type guy and I hope he shows that this season, to again make the 53 and get some rotational snaps at OLB.  Would be good to know that we have 2 or 3 guys that can play OLB going into 2017.

He'll get his opportunities this year. Something tells me we won't see 2 straight years without a significant injury to one of the four OLBs.
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2016 12:38 pm

It would be incredibly silly to write him off in any capacity yet. I wish he would've shown more than he has to this point, particularly because HoJo was released in favor of keeping him around, but his career is still budding to this point. The transition from a 5-technique DE to an OLB isn't smooth for any player. Porter likely had to strip him down to the basics and essentially re-teach him how to play as an edge/rush linebacker.

Chickillo's career is going to be interesting to watch with Pittsburgh for a couple of reasons, but notably because of how deep the edge class is in 2017. The front office is going to have to target an OLB early regardless, but Chickillo may be able to alleviate some of the pressure on a rookie pass rusher if he's able to develop into anything.

It looks as if he's going to excel at anchoring the edge and playing the run with purpose, but may lag behind in his ability to properly rush the passer. If this ends up being the case, a switch over to LOLB and being able to provide quality depth behind Dupree wouldn't be the worst thing for this team.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptySun May 22, 2016 12:53 am

Could Steelers OLB Anthony Chickillo become the next Mike Vrabel?

By Christopher Bondi on May 21, 2016

Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 Usa-today-9091890.0

Anthony Chickillo arrived in Pittsburgh last season to little fanfare. A sixth round selection from the University of Miami (212th overall), Chickillo was identified as a prospect, a 3-4 defensive lineman who would be tasked with making the conversion to outside linebacker.

The Steelers have had a long history of drafting defensive lineman and converting them to outside linebacker. They've had successes: Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, and Lamar Woodley.

And they've had failures: Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis, and Steven Conley.

As with most, if not all of these players, the first step in securing a spot on the team by excelling on special teams, something Chickillo did during his rookie season. He recorded six tackles, forced one fumble, and recovered another.

He even had an opportunity to get in some snaps at linebacker during the team's season finale against Cleveland.

Entering his second season, Chickillo needs to further impress coaches and prove that he's ready to assume a larger role in the defense.

He'll have some competition, however. The Steelers made certain of that when they selected linebacker Travis Feeney from Washington in the sixth round of this year's draft. In terms of pure athleticism, Feeney's got the edge on Chickillo. He runs a blazing 4.5 40 and had 17.5 tackles for loss and 8 sacks last season.

Making things even more challenging for Chickillo is the already crowded outside linebacking corps. Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree look to be the starters, while Arthur Moats and James Harrison will continue rotating in. That doesn't leave much room for anyone else.

But hold the phone.

James Harrison just turned 38 earlier this month, making 2016 his likely career swan song. As for Jarvis Jones, the former first round pick has been a bit of a disappointment, so much so that the Steelers declined to pick up the option on his rookie contract. His future with the Steelers following this season is highly uncertain.

Chances are, there could be an opportunity for another player to slide into the ROLB spot next season.

Could that player be Chickillo?

Chickillo's situation is reminiscent of another former Steelers draft pick who made the switch from defensive lineman to outside linebacker: Mike Vrabel.

Vrabel was selected in the 3rd round in 1997 from Ohio State. He had more pedigree than Chickillo (he was a consensus All-American in 1996), but was in the same boat. He played mostly special teams during his first few years and received minimal playing time.

The Steelers couldn't figure out how to maximize Vrabel's abilities. He was, therefore, trapped behind Greg Lloyd, Donta Jones, and Carlos Emmons during the 1997, 1998, and 1999 seasons. In 2000, Joey Porter turned into Joey Porter and that was all she wrote for Vrabel's career with the Steelers.

He became a free agent following the 2000 season and signed with New England. Unfortunately for the Steelers, Bill Belichick figured out how to use Vrabel, and Vrabel went on to have an All-Pro career and star on three Super Bowl winning teams with the Patriots*. He was named to the NFLs "All Decade Team" for 2000-2010.

Just like Vrabel, Chickillo is known for his toughness, his intelligence, and for having a "consistent motor, keeping the switch flipped on." Chickillo's also durable, having started the last 47 games of his college career.

Also, as with Vrabel and the Steelers, Miami never really figured out how to properly use Chickillo during his college career, yet he still managed to make plays.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/5/21/11720444/could-steelers-olb-anthony-chickillo-become-the-next-mike-vrabel
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptySun May 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Here is to hoping he has an awesome pre-season and camp and takes the job from JJ. I would love to see him have a breakout season.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 EmptySun May 22, 2016 1:39 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Here is to hoping he has an awesome pre-season and camp and takes the job from JJ. I would love to see him have a breakout season.

I'm honestly not that optimistic that he will make the huge jump this year, but will take it if he does.

I'm not a Miami fan, but as a football fan and a guy that has coached some youth football, I just love a player with a motor, work ethic, great attitude that just truly loves and is a student of the game. A football junkie is what he appears to be IMO. The Jerry Olsavsky, Chidi Iwouma, Lethon Flowers, Patrick Bailey, Vince Williams type guys that weren't highly touted or drafted, but just seem to do nothing but work and sacrifice for the better of the team and the love of football are guys you want on your team.

I think 2017 will be his big year, but still hopeful that he progresses to be a guy that can earn some meaningful snaps and contribute in the rotation. Like SteelCanada said, if he ends up being a backup on the left side OLB, great. I honestly hope he can be a guy that earns the start on the left side and Dupree can move to the right side, but Bud is another guy that needs to learn how to use his hands and footwork in the rush, as well as how to leverage against the run.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.   Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthony Chikillo not used at Miami to his strengths.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2