Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRIP Ken Stabler Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

RIP Ken Stabler

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Former Oakland Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler died Wednesday from complications resulting from Stage 4 colon cancer, the team confirmed Thursday. He was 69....

The Foley, Alabama, native threw for 27,938 yards during his 15-year career in the NFL, compiling a 96-49-1 record as a starting QB. He played for the Raiders from 1970-79, winning the NFL Most Valuable Player award in 1974 and earning Pro Bowl honors four times. He led Oakland to victory in Super Bowl XL in January 1977.

"I was head coach of the Raiders the entire time Kenny was there and he led us to a whole bunch of victories including one in Super Bowl XI," former Raiders coach John Madden said in the team release. "I've often said, If I had one drive to win a game to this day, and I had a quarterback to pick, I would pick Kenny. Snake was a lot cooler than I was. He was a perfect quarterback and a perfect Raider. When you think about the Raiders you think about Ken Stabler. Kenny loved life. It is a sad day for all Raiders."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13230192/ken-stabler-former-oakland-raiders-quarterback-dies

The Snake fell off rather quickly but in his prime from 1974 -77 he was as good as any QB in the NFL and a worthy adversary during the epic Steelers-Raiders rivalry in the 70s

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Kenny was the perfect QB to run those 70's Raiders offenses. I liked Kenny he was one cool QB. r.i.p.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 11:16 am

Stabler was a renegade that fit the Raider identity of that time perfectly. Probably in the Bobby Lane category of partying, then playing.

I heard Paul Feinbaum of ESPN SEC tell stories about him last year, as they used to broadcast some games together. Feinbaum said there were times when you didn't know if Stabler was going to show up for the broadcast until minutes before the game. He also mentioned a story of Stabler possibly framing a reporter for cocaine possession and I thought that was the craziest thing I hadn't heard of yet. Here is that reporters account ... http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/4189498-181/padecky-ken-stabler-memories-on#.VaKUt6g6x64.twitter?page=1
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 12:47 pm

cool story.

Back to top Go down
4xSBChamps
Xtreme Newb

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 5:20 pm

since Ms. Goodell has ruined what was once known as 'football', I rarely check-in, nor pay attanetion to anything Steeler / National Felony League-related these days, but the passing of Kenny Stabler has hit me very hard

I can honestly say I enjoyed watching him play football more than any other QB of my time
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 pm

I didn't like the Raiders but respected the tough football they played on the field.

the Raiders and the Steelers were a lot a like in the 70s, running game to move the chains and set up the deep ball and good defense, both teams had the WRs to make the tuff catch over the middle.

Kenny had the it as a QB put this off the field fun shortend  his career imo.

High school career[edit]

Stabler became a highly touted football player at Foley High School in Foley, Alabama. He led Foley to a win-loss record of 29–1 over his high school career—the only loss coming against Vigor High School. He was an all-around athlete in high school, averaging 29 points a game in basketball and excelling enough as a left-handed pitcher in baseball to receive minor-league contract offers from the Houston Astros and New York Yankees. He was an all-american athlete. During his high school career, he earned his nickname "the Snake"[1] from his coach following a long, winding touchdown run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Stabler

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am

Not to be rude, but just curious:
Ken's family says, "He passed peacefully surrounded by the people he loved the most, including his 3 daughters and longtime partner, as some of his favorite songs played in the background, such as Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama' and Van Morrison's 'Leaves Falling Down.'"

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/09/ken-stabler-dead-at-69-family-confirms/#ixzz3g40ZyBqa

Other news outlets say "partner not to be named"...who is this mysterious person??

4xSBChamps
Xtreme Newb

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Other news outlets say "partner not to be named"...who is this mysterious person??

reportedly, like his predecessor at Alabama (Joe Namath), Stabler had many female friends

a Sports Illustrated article in the mid-1970's said he had a constant companion for the time the writer spent with him, but only called her 'Wonderfully Wicked Wanda', so one can only imagine...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RIP Ken Stabler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Ken Stabler   RIP Ken Stabler Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Ken Stabler
Page 1 of 1