Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense

Go down 
+3
jak341
Hawaii 5-0
Vis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Vis

Vis

Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense Empty
PostSubject: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 8:41 am

The Steelers report to their 50th training camp today at Saint Vincent College in Latraobe, where they will try to spit-shine the highest-ranked offense in 35 years and scrub clean a defense coming off its worst performance this century.

Within that defense are four young players who have not panned out yet but could help turn them back into a champion.

Read the article"

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/07/25/Four-young-Steelers-key-to-improvement-on-defense/stories/201507250083

Hawaii 5-0

Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Cortez Allen Trained With James Harrison And His People This Offseason

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/cortez-allen-trained-with-james-harrison-and-his-people-this-offseason/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Kevin Colbert: Cortez Allen Needs To Restore Both His & Our Confidence

July 27, 2015

LATROBE (93-7 The Fan) – Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert sat down with “The Fan Morning Show” at training camp on Monday. The timing was quite opportune for Colbert because he had something to brag about – a two-year contract extension that he received over the weekend.

It hasn’t been all smooth sailing for Colbert. The Steelers’ defense is in the midst of a major transition, with Dick LeBeau and his longtime players moving on and being supplanted by Keith Butler and a cast of new characters.

“You’ve watched coach Butler work with coach LeBeau for all those years, and you knew Keith was very capable and sooner or later he was going to get his opportunity, the differences that he brings to our defense,” Colbert said. “I’m guessing that most of the defense will be a lot of the same core principles that coach LeBeau practiced, because that’s what Keith learned. But, Keith also will put his own touches on it.”

One of the guys that Butler will be looking to for growth is Cortez Allen. He was expected to be a major contributor last season after receiving a contract extension, but fell off due to a mix of health and performance issues. Colbert isn’t sure if last year was a fluke.

“We don’t know if last year was a flub,” Colbert said...

to read rest of article:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/07/27/kevin-colbert-cortez-allen-needs-to-restore-both-his-our-confidence/
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 am

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of C. Allen from Colbert.

But the truth hurts sometimes I guess...
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 9:12 am

jak341 wrote:
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of C. Allen from Colbert.

But the truth hurts sometimes I guess...

It's more than the truth hurts. Honesty is the key and Colbert is being completely honest for Allen's sake. Allen has the skill set .... he displayed it as a backup for 2 years and made an impact when he got on the field. Now that he's the starter, he can't just flop.

More than any other player, I think Allen is the key. I don't think there's another player that has to just make the grade for the team to have much more success. If he can just get to average, this defense turns a major corner this year. Shamarko Thomas will be interesting to watch, but if he is playing sub par, you have Will Allen ready to step in. There's no one behind Cortez that I feel great about, especially when they deploy 3 CBs often.

The lack of a ringing endorsement isn't made any better by Allen's first practice:

Mark Kolby -Triblive wrote:
Cornerback Cortez Allen gave up a couple of catches, missed a tackle and got caught on pass interference during the first day of camp Sunday. Allen said he isn't going to dwell on one day. “If you have ever played football before you understand that you aren't going to win every play,” Allen said. “You aren't going to have a perfect game. Coach LeBeau always said that sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. It's how you come back from it is what defines you.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8801660-74/gradkowski-game-camp#ixzz3hBuLkjoe
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I'll root for him to pull it together and make this team a true contender.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 am

Shazier and Thomas will be stars.

Hopefully Jarvis can stay healthy and help produce for the team.

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 am

kirklandrules wrote:
...The lack of a ringing endorsement isn't made any better by Allen's first practice:

Mark Kolby -Triblive wrote:
Cornerback Cortez Allen gave up a couple of catches, missed a tackle and got caught on pass interference during the first day of camp Sunday. Allen said he isn't going to dwell on one day. “If you have ever played football before you understand that you aren't going to win every play,” Allen said. “You aren't going to have a perfect game. Coach LeBeau always said that sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. It's how you come back from it is what defines you.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8801660-74/gradkowski-game-camp#ixzz3hBuLkjoe
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I'll root for him to pull it together and make this team a true contender.

That is particularly scary. Didn't I read somewhere that he isn't covering top wide receivers, so he can get confidence back? If he was covering AB, I would expect him to give up some catches. If he is covering the 3rd WR, 4th WR, or practice squad players, I would expect him to shut them down.

I do agree there isn't much behind him. William Gay we all know and love. I'm not sold on Blake being anything more than the 3rd corner. Plus, it looks like Golson may be missing camp time due to injury, and I haven't heard anything at all about Grant.

Bottom line...he has to step up or the secondary is in serious trouble.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:34 am

I think he gave up those passes to AB and Bryant. Hadn't heard that he's not covering top receivers, but those were the receivers listed on Steelers National Radio
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Cortez steps in front of AB comeback, picks it off. Allen making splash plays.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 7:31 pm

why not post the whole article? the last thing i wanna do is click another link to read the whole story when i can just do it here. just sayin.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 am

Fire Arians wrote:
why not post the whole article? the last thing i wanna do is click another link to read the whole story when i can just do it here. just sayin.

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t203-please-read

@Fire Arians, there are legal reasons. But just from an ethical standpoint, if we're going to borrow other people's work for our own discussions, (whether it's from a professional site or a fan blog), the least we can do is give them some clicks. That's especially important for news sites that depend on ad revenue.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:10 am

Kozora tweeting play-by-play from training camp reminds me of those early South Park episodes where Jimbo would give play-by-play from the bushes of Stan's mom taking off her shirt while his one armed buddy, Ned, stood next to him beating off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense   Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense Empty

Back to top Go down

Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen, Shamarko Thomas key to Steelers improvement on defense
Page 1 of 1