Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery

Go down 
+9
SoCalFan
Steeler-in-west
FrancoLambert
Vis
ETL
tony hipchest
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
El-Gonzo Jackson
Hawaii 5-0
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery Empty
PostSubject: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm

By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Good afternoon,

The Steelers are considering several options for rookie cornerback Senquez Golson, including having him undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.

Golson has been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since the start of training camp July 25. He went through spring practices with no apparent issues but later told team officials he thought he injured his shoulder during those practices.

His injury is part of the reason the Steelers traded for cornerback Brandon Boykin from the Philadelphia Eagles for a conditional fifth-round draft pick Saturday night. That pick reportedly could become a fourth-round pick if Boykin plays in 60 percent of the Steelers’ defensive snaps this season.

Although only 5-9 and listed at 176 pounds, Golson’s 10 interceptions last season for Ole Miss were second in the nation – only behind the Steelers’ seventh-round draft choice, Louisville safety Gerod Holliman, who had 14.

The Steelers will practice Boykin both inside in the slot, where he played for the Eagles, and on the outside, where he will have a chance to compete with Cortez Allen and William Gay to start. He also will see practice time returning punts, starting this afternoon in practice.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/08/03/Rookie-Golson-May-Have-Season-Ending-Surgery/stories/201508030004
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Unfortunate, but its happened before and if so, the Boykin trade makes it OK. They would have to keep him up to the final cuts and then put him on IR so he isn't exposed to waivers. Would likely make a 6 man CB corps Allen, Gay, Boykin, Blake, Grant, Webb or Fogg
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Unfortunatel but it does happen. Hopefully it's just a fluke and doesn't impact his career.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Meh...

I already chalked him up as a loss for the year anyways. We always lose a rookie every year.

Spence
Decastro
Shazier

So much for a second round pick.

. .
Back to top Go down
ETL

ETL

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Sad to see this happen. I was looking forward to Golson playing and proving the naysayers wrong.

Hopefully it will be a blessing in disguise in that he can mentally grow and watch and be more prepared next year.

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Meh...

I already chalked him up as a loss for the year anyways.  We always lose a rookie every year.

Spence
Decastro
Shazier

So much for a second round pick.

So the rest are safe this year. Whew.....

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 9:22 am

Not as bad as the Ratbirds losing Elam (projected as a starter) for the year.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Good job picking up Boykin. Tough on Golson, he's just got to rehab and be ready for next year.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 1:50 pm

I think they went after Boykin knowing this! Wish him well. I agree with ETL, will allow for growth!

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 2:12 pm

SoCalFan wrote:
I think they went after Boykin knowing this! Wish him well. I agree with ETL, will allow for growth!

Thought I saw an article or blurb in one of the sports publications that the team wanted him to have the surgery and Golson was trying to rehab it without. Look, if it's season ending surgery, there's really no rush as long as the recovery doesn't impact next year. So it hasn't really impacted his timeframe to try the rehab first. My sense is that the Steelers picked up Boykin knowing that either way Golson wasn't going to be recovered in time to make an impact this year.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 2:53 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
SoCalFan wrote:

Thought I saw an article or blurb in one of the sports publications that the team wanted him to have the surgery and Golson was trying to rehab it without. Look, if it's season ending surgery, there's really no rush as long as the recovery doesn't impact next year. So it hasn't really impacted his timeframe to try the rehab first. My sense is that the Steelers picked up Boykin knowing that either way Golson wasn't going to be recovered in time to make an impact this year.

I think you are correct.

Also, next year will be William Gay's 10th NFL season and I think the Steelers are wary that they got 12 seasons from both Ike Taylor and Troy. It doesn't hurt to have a young guy like Boykin on the team when a 10 year veteran's contract comes due.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm

disappointing but the addition of boykin makes things more bearable. we did pick up a good player for a 5th rounder. the last 5th round corner that panned out was william gay lol.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Steelers rookie cornerback Senquez Golson had shoulder surgery this morning, but coach Mike Tomlin said he did not know how long his No. 2 draft choice from Mississippi would be out.

However, because the Steelers waited this long, it is likely Golson will miss the entire season....

We thought [camp] would be a good experience, that’s why we waited until now,” Tomlin said. “Hopefully the weeks have been beneficial for him.” Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery 2829330259

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/21/Steelers-coach-Mike-Tomlin-says-cornerback-Senquez-Golson-sidelined-with-shoulder-surgery/stories/201508210254

If Golson has not been participating in drills it would seem you could watch practice and attend meetings with your arm in a sling
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Per source, #Steelers 2nd round pick CB Senquez Golson's surgery today was to repair a torn labrum.

— David Todd (@DavidMTodd) August 21, 2015
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 10:33 pm

I like the way Tomlin explained how the decision was made..."you only get one rookie camp."
At first, I questioned waiting this long before commiting to surgery.
But by waiting he had to be more involved with team activities and non-hitting drills.
I also think by giving him a bigger taste of a full camp it will make him more hungry for next year.  Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery 2087824411
(No pun intended.)
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Told ya he was a bust.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 am

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac

Steelers place no 2 pick Senquez Golson on IR. Done for the season.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery   Rookie Golson May Have Season-Ending Surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1