Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTomlin's season-ending news conference Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Tomlin's season-ending news conference

Go down 
+3
stlrtruck
Gingerchip
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Tomlin's season-ending news conference Empty
PostSubject: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today at his season-ending news conference that nose tackle Casey Hampton and offensive tackle Max Starks have ACL injuries and defensive lineman Brett Keisel has a severe groin injury. All three are being evaluated today by team doctors and are potential candidates for surgery.

Tomlin also said surgery is a possibility for Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who did not play in the final game of the season for the second year in a row because of a high ankle sprain.

Tomlin also provided some more insight into the defensive concept on the final play of the game -- an 80-yard pass from Tim Tebow to Demaryius Thomas for the game-winning touchdown on the first play of the overtime period.

Tomlin said it was an inverted zone coverage where the safeties were close to the line of scrimmage for run support. He declined to say what safety Ryan Mundy's responsibilities were on the play.

Tomlin said it is not out of the ordinary for the Steelers to employ such a defense in that situation. He said they have done it many times when facing run-oriented quarterbacks.

Tomlin also said that he would "probably" attack the Denver offense in the same way if he had to do it over again. He explained that defending Tebow and the potential of his running limits what a defense can do in a planned scheme.

Tomlin was asked if he expected offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau back next season.

He acknowledged the possibility for change, but said "we're going to work to maintain continuity as we always do."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12009/1202407-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1izCSznPE
-------------------------------------------

Quote :
He declined to say what safety Ryan Mundy's responsibilities were on the play.
In other words, Mundy blew it on that play as we've discussed here http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t1610-was-just-watching-nfl-network

I respect Tomlin for not throwing Mundy under the bus, but at the same time, Taylor is getting unfairly crucified for losing the game.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 pm

So does this mean that the majority of Steeler Nation (from what I've read) will get their wish and see Arians gone from the sidelines? I can't really give an intelligent opinion on Arians since I haven't been as attached to the goings-on of the Steeler's organization as I normally am (full time student working on a nursing degree -- ain't easy going back to school after 20 years!). Is he really as bad as most seem to think?
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
So does this mean that the majority of Steeler Nation (from what I've read) will get their wish and see Arians gone from the sidelines? I can't really give an intelligent opinion on Arians since I haven't been as attached to the goings-on of the Steeler's organization as I normally am (full time student working on a nursing degree -- ain't easy going back to school after 20 years!). Is he really as bad as most seem to think?

He's got his moments of brilliance but they are overshadowed by his high inability for in-game changes and lack of play calling with a lead. For more information check out the 'FIRE ARIANS' thread here: http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t936-official-fire-arians-thread

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Tomlin's season-ending news conference 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
Is he really as bad as most seem to think?
That's an awfully big can of worms to open up. The answer will depend on who you ask. I'm in the anti-Arians camp, but I also feel that some of the problem stems from Ben's inability to make quick and good decisions. The strongest argument against Arians, in my opinion, is that Ben needs an OC who doesn't treat him like a best friend ... someone who will crack down on him and make him work on his deficiencies. Either that, or design an offense that takes advantage of his strengths and doesn't expose his weaknesses.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Gingerchip wrote:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I feel he's a fairly solid OC and the majority of our problems are centered around execution by the offense as a whole and the decision making (or lack there of) of #7.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm

i dont have a problem with arians but i would prefer mike martz or mike mularky ......i think there both available too

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

vasteeler wrote:
i dont have a problem with arians but i would prefer mike martz or mike mularky ......i think there both available too

I'll give whomever they hire a 3 year window just like I did Arians.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Tomlin's season-ending news conference 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
Is he really as bad as most seem to think?
That's an awfully big can of worms to open up. The answer will depend on who you ask. I'm in the anti-Arians camp, but I also feel that some of the problem stems from Ben's inability to make quick and good decisions. The strongest argument against Arians, in my opinion, is that Ben needs an OC who doesn't treat him like a best friend ... someone who will crack down on him and make him work on his deficiencies. Either that, or design an offense that takes advantage of his strengths and doesn't expose his weaknesses.

I couldn't agree more. It was obvious last night that Ben does not see the field at times. Hey he makes some great throws but last night he missed at least 2 guys wide open while throwing into double or even triple coverage. BA thinks Ben doesn't need any work that he's fine the way he is. I wish Ben would go hang out and work out with Drew Brees. Then he'd see a QB who is striving to get better when he IMHO is the best or in the top 2 anyway.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:27 pm

"I respect Tomlin for not throwing Mundy under the bus, but at the same time, Taylor is getting unfairly crucified for losing the game."

I don't think he is. He got there and didn't make the tackle. It's really that simple. If it were the other way around and Ike was out of position I'd be willing to bet we'd all be saying Mundy should have made the tackle. Sure Mundy should share in the blame but that's why he's a backup. Would Clark have been out of position? Who knows? But I say Ike should have made the tackle.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 pm

they are all to blame BEN,TOMLIN and ARIANS they're like BFF Tomlin's season-ending news conference 2913999526

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin's season-ending news conference   Tomlin's season-ending news conference Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomlin's season-ending news conference
Page 1 of 1