Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFavorite Shows Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Favorite Shows

Go down 
+5
vasteeler
JonM229
Wallace108
SteelCityMom
Farrior_roirraW
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Well?

Here's my top 10:

Lost
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Mad Men
The Wire
Deadwood
Twin Peaks
Doctor Who
Treme
Breaking Bad
Cowboy Bebop

And because I'm an asshole I separate comedy:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Flight of the Conchords
Arrested Development

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Off Air:

Mystery Science Theater 3000....All time favorite show, always and forever (in case nobody could tell by now Favorite Shows 1797695198 ).
Wonder Years
Firefly
Dead Like Me
Penn & Teller's Bullshit
I Love Lucy
Twilight Zone (mainly original)
Outer Limits (mainly original as well)
Night Gallery
Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour
Thriller

On Air:

Dexter
True Blood
Weeds
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Shameless
The Big C
United States of Tara
Nurse Jackie
How I Met Your Mother
Simpsons
South Park
Deadliest Catch
The First 48
Cops

Guilty Pleasures:

Days of Our Lives
Hell's Kitchen
Master Chef

Wallace108

Wallace108

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Lost is my all-time favorite show.

I'm not really into anything right now, but I do enjoy Red Eye and Tosh.0

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
JonM229

JonM229

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:08 am

Doctor Who
Dexter
Weeds
True Blood
Boardwalk Empire
Twilight Zone
30 Rock
South Park
Rescue Me
Little Britain
Louie
MST3K

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:47 am

What did you guys think of the fifth season of Dexter? It really killed my interest in ever watching the show. I'm a fan of the first four seasons (yes, even the third Favorite Shows 1797695198 ) but they really botched what Chic Eglee set up at the end of season four. Favorite Shows 2087824411

Some more shows I like:

Angel
Firefly
Terriers
Dollhouse
Rubicon
The Sopranos (this would probably be in my top 10 if the rest of the show had been like the last 9 episodes which has some really superb writing by Chase/Weiner/Winter)
Six Feet Under
Oz
The X-Files
John From Cincinnati
Battlestar Galactica
Sons of Anarchy
Californication
Twilight Zone (original)
The Prisoner (original)
Fringe
Wonderfalls

I find Hung, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, Dexter, Dead Like Me and the Walking Dead to be good shows but really frustrating at the same time because of problems I have with the storytelling that doesn't allow me to enjoy them as much as I should.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
What did you guys think of the fifth season of Dexter? It really killed my interest in ever watching the show. I'm a fan of the first four seasons (yes, even the third Favorite Shows 1797695198 ) but they really botched what Chic Eglee set up at the end of season four. Favorite Shows 2087824411

Some more shows I like:

Angel
Firefly
Terriers
Dollhouse
Rubicon
The Sopranos (this would probably be in my top 10 if the rest of the show had been like the last 9 episodes which has some really superb writing by Chase/Weiner/Winter)
Six Feet Under
Oz
The X-Files
John From Cincinnati
Battlestar Galactica
Sons of Anarchy
Californication
Twilight Zone (original)
The Prisoner (original)
Fringe
Wonderfalls

I find Hung, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, Dexter, Dead Like Me and the Walking Dead to be good shows but really frustrating at the same time because of problems I have with the storytelling that doesn't allow me to enjoy them as much as I should.

I'm just heavily addicted to Showtime shows right now. Getting around to catching up on Californication soon...because I've heard it's pretty good. The last season of Dexter certainly wasn't as good as other seasons, but I really liked certain aspects of it. Still interested to see this new season. Weeds is just sort of an afterthought now. I still love the series, but I don't look forward to watching it as much as I used to.

I gave up on Sons of Anarchy after about 5 episodes. We kept falling asleep to them. I know a lot of people rave about it, but to me, it's basically Sopranos, but with bikers. And Sopranos bored me to death after the second season. I really wanted to like it though, because I'm a huge Ron Pearlman fan.

What was it that bothered you about Dead Like Me (out of curiosity)? The only thing I disliked was that it was canceled and the movie that tried to wrap it up. I thought it had a basic premise though that allowed for a long series and a variety of characters.

True Blood you have to take with a grain of salt. Think of it as Dark Shadows...with bewbs. Favorite Shows 1797695198 Cause that's pretty much all it is.

As far as Whedon goes...love SOME of his stuff. Loved Firefly and Dollhouse was pretty good. Hated Buffy (the show, not the movie) and Angel though. Have you ever seen Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog? It's weird, but good. A little too much singing sometimes IMO, but I enjoyed it.

Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:24 am

SteelCityMom wrote:
I'm just heavily addicted to Showtime shows right now. Getting around to catching up on Californication soon...because I've heard it's pretty good. The last season of Dexter certainly wasn't as good as other seasons, but I really liked certain aspects of it. Still interested to see this new season. Weeds is just sort of an afterthought now. I still love the series, but I don't look forward to watching it as much as I used to.

I gave up on Sons of Anarchy after about 5 episodes. We kept falling asleep to them. I know a lot of people rave about it, but to me, it's basically Sopranos, but with bikers. And Sopranos bored me to death after the second season. I really wanted to like it though, because I'm a huge Ron Pearlman fan.

What was it that bothered you about Dead Like Me (out of curiosity)? The only thing I disliked was that it was canceled and the movie that tried to wrap it up. I thought it had a basic premise though that allowed for a long series and a variety of characters.

True Blood you have to take with a grain of salt. Think of it as Dark Shadows...with bewbs. Favorite Shows 1797695198 Cause that's pretty much all it is.

As far as Whedon goes...love SOME of his stuff. Loved Firefly and Dollhouse was pretty good. Hated Buffy (the show, not the movie) and Angel though. Have you ever seen Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog? It's weird, but good. A little too much singing sometimes IMO, but I enjoyed it.

I had a longer reply but my laptop died right at the end of my post. So, here I go. For the second time.

I watch Weeds out of necessity to finish the series (well, that and El Andy). I was watching season 7 of Weeds because I thought it was going to be the last and actually I think the season 6 finale would have been a good place to end the show. Californication is a really really good show, but season 4 it began to lose its flavor, with that said the season 4 finale is just as good as all the other season finales.

Yeah, I don't take True Blood very serious and it has great moments but a whole lot of nothing in between those really great moments. I like Alan Ball's writing despite his short comings and I was looking forward to his adaptation of The Mystic Art of Erasing All Signs of Death.

First season of Dead Like Me is pretty good and probably would have been even better had Bryan Fuller not left. The writing visibly gets a lot worse in the second season despite quite a few good moments with George/Daisy/Mason and then the whole Rube storyline that season has a few very strong moments like the discovery of the mistake by the post office. However, one of the things they retcon'd was the concept of reapers appearance change to everyone who was not a reaper which was really interesting a great and doesn't surprise that Showtime or any network/cable company would stick with it because of how potentially confusing that could get but this really messes up what could have been a great cathartic scene for Rube and his daughter. They also threw out the whole losing memories by talking to them. Ah well. The movie was just terrible that came out 5/6 years after the show ended. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that.

I've heard people say similar things about Whedon, I'm not sure whats up with the polarization between Firefly and Buffy fans. I love both. ("Objects in Space" is such a brilliant episode.) I know a lot of dudes that like Buffy but I have never once met any woman that likes Buffy. Favorite Shows 1664291743 I haven't seen the 1992 film. I can't imagine anyone that does not like Buffy, liking Angel or vice versa. Favorite Shows 1797695198 Dr. Horrible is pretty good a little bit of weird story but I think it works. When Whedon does anything with singing (like the Buffy episode, "Once More With Feeling") he tends to go into the direction of musicals that I despise-on the verge of crossing that line. I like musicals just not what is typically known as Broadway musicals where they sing and dance but more like Sondheim's so I didn't really have a problem with the singing.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:

I had a longer reply but my laptop died right at the end of my post. So, here I go. For the second time.

I watch Weeds out of necessity to finish the series (well, that and El Andy). I was watching season 7 of Weeds because I thought it was going to be the last and actually I think the season 6 finale would have been a good place to end the show. Californication is a really really good show, but season 4 it began to lose its flavor, with that said the season 4 finale is just as good as all the other season finales.

Yeah, I don't take True Blood very serious and it has great moments but a whole lot of nothing in between those really great moments. I like Alan Ball's writing despite his short comings and I was looking forward to his adaptation of The Mystic Art of Erasing All Signs of Death.

First season of Dead Like Me is pretty good and probably would have been even better had Bryan Fuller not left. The writing visibly gets a lot worse in the second season despite quite a few good moments with George/Daisy/Mason and then the whole Rube storyline that season has a few very strong moments like the discovery of the mistake by the post office. However, one of the things they retcon'd was the concept of reapers appearance change to everyone who was not a reaper which was really interesting a great and doesn't surprise that Showtime or any network/cable company would stick with it because of how potentially confusing that could get but this really messes up what could have been a great cathartic scene for Rube and his daughter. They also threw out the whole losing memories by talking to them. Ah well. The movie was just terrible that came out 5/6 years after the show ended. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that.

I've heard people say similar things about Whedon, I'm not sure whats up with the polarization between Firefly and Buffy fans. I love both. ("Objects in Space" is such a brilliant episode.) I know a lot of dudes that like Buffy but I have never once met any woman that likes Buffy. Favorite Shows 1664291743 I haven't seen the 1992 film. I can't imagine anyone that does not like Buffy, liking Angel or vice versa. Favorite Shows 1797695198 Dr. Horrible is pretty good a little bit of weird story but I think it works. When Whedon does anything with singing (like the Buffy episode, "Once More With Feeling") he tends to go into the direction of musicals that I despise-on the verge of crossing that line. I like musicals just not what is typically known as Broadway musicals where they sing and dance but more like Sondheim's so I didn't really have a problem with the singing.

Favorite Shows 1797695198 My husband loves Buffy and Angel. I tease him endlessly about it.

The movie (Buffy) is great! You should definitely check it out sometime.

vasteeler

vasteeler

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am

dont watch a lot of tv shows but i do like a few

2 1/2 men (pre kutcher)
the simpsons
family guy
cops
deadliest catch
wipe out
modern family
Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:55 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
Favorite Shows 1797695198 My husband loves Buffy and Angel. I tease him endlessly about it.

The movie (Buffy) is great! You should definitely check it out sometime.

I've been in need for recommendations for new movies to watch so I'll add it to the queue, I've never heard anything about it either way.

I also liked the episodes of Roseanne that Whedon wrote, especially the one where Mark (or whoever Becky's boyfriend is) cooks supper for the family and DJ tries to get sent to his room without supper for "smoking cigarettes" and the meal turns out to be disgusting so Dan gives DJ his plate and says, "Teach you for smoking cigarettes." Favorite Shows 3562723908

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:28 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
I know a lot of people rave about it, but to me, it's basically Sopranos, but with bikers. And Sopranos bored me to death after the second season. I really wanted to like it though, because I'm a huge Ron Pearlman fan.

I'd probably have never gotten into the show if it weren't for Pearlman

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 7:37 am

Right now, I'd say that my two favorite on air shows are Raising Hope and Breaking Bad.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:18 am

JonM229 wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:
I know a lot of people rave about it, but to me, it's basically Sopranos, but with bikers. And Sopranos bored me to death after the second season. I really wanted to like it though, because I'm a huge Ron Pearlman fan.

I'd probably have never gotten into the show if it weren't for Pearlman

We finally ended up giving it a go again a few weeks ago...and are all caught up with the current season now. Favorite Shows 1797695198

I'm very glad we gave it another shot. It quickly earned a spot as one of my favorite shows.

It will now replace Weeds. Season 7 was such a steaming pile of crap, that it kind of ruined me wanting to watch any of the earlier seasons. It was just that bad.

CapLovesTroyP43

CapLovesTroyP43

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm

House
Lock Up God I LOVE this show!!!
The Steelers when they play on TV
Little House On The Prairie
Flintstones
Transformers
Documentaries on the Holocaust (Fascinating page in history but oh so dark one!)

"WE WILL NOT GO GENTLY. WE WILL UNLEASH HELL" MIKE TOMLIN

Favorite Shows 2480670802 Favorite Shows 2287965686 Favorite Shows 1948569602

FREEDOM...NOT COMMUNISM!!!! :old glory: :old glory: :old glory:

"AND OUR QB WEARS THE NUMBER SEVEN" RICH BANKS

CAP'S FAVORITE ICON... Favorite Shows 1645253483 Favorite Shows 1645253483 Favorite Shows 1645253483
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm

In no particular order

Northern Exposure
Lost
Carnivale
The X-files
The Walking Dead
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Homlcide life on the street

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:08 pm

I'd like to add Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men and Californication to my favorite shows. I've also become quite fond of Raising Hope (though I've only gotten halfway through the first season).

Bays

Bays

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:52 pm

My ten favorite shows, in no particular order.

Californication
My Name Is Earl
Roseanne
MST3K
Entourage
King Of The Hill
How I Met Your Mother
Prison Break
Scrubs
Frasier ( Bite me )

Bays

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Screw top ten, a few more just popped into my head:

The X-Files
Lost
Sopranos

Edit:

Sons of anarchy
Weeds

They just keeping coming through Favorite Shows 1797695198

Wallace108

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Bayz, maybe you should just tell us which shows you don't like. Favorite Shows 3798349058

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Bayz, maybe you should just tell us which shows you don't like. Favorite Shows 3798349058

Netflix has expanded my love for shows so much it's impossible to narrow it down Favorite Shows 1797695198

About a month ago I finished watching every show I ever liked at some point, and recently I began watching show's i'd never seen before. Now i'm falling in love with these shows. It's quite ridiculous, really Favorite Shows 1505004552

Wallace108

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:07 pm

I need to add Once Upon a Time to my list. Definitely not a show I thought I'd like. But I'm really enjoying it.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Sonofabitch. ( Someone said this earlier, it's mine now. )

A couple more just came to mind. I'm getting angry.

The Shield
The Wire

Wallace108

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:56 pm

My list of favorite shows has changed a lot in the past year thanks to Netflix. Here's my current list of favorite shows:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Sons of Anarchy
3. Fringe
4. 24
5. Jericho
6. Walking Dead
7. Lost

Lost used to be my all-time favorite show, but as I see other shows tying together all the story lines and nailing the endings, it makes me lose respect for Lost. Lost was a great show, and no other show comes close to creating mystery and raising questions. The ending wasn't horrible, but it wasn't nearly as satisfying as it should have been, and way too many things were left unanswered. As a viewer, I was able to reach my own conclusions to fill in the holes, but for a TV show, it's THEIR job to tell the story ... not mine.

Back to top Go down
darbs89
Xtreme Newb

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm

1. The Office
2. Breaking Bad
3. Sons of Anarchy
4. Mad Men
5. The Walking Dead
6. Cowboy Bepop
7. The Blacklist
8. Being Human

I still need to watch a lot of the favorites I've seen listed! Walking Dead used to be much higher on my list but I find the suspense has ended for me. We know the threats, if it weren't for the finale of this season it would likely be below Cowboy Bebop but it's obviously a better show, however Cowboy Bebop has nostalgic value for me so it'll stick around in my tops.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite Shows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shows   Favorite Shows Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Shows
Page 1 of 1