Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeEd B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip

Go down 
+12
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
SoCalFan
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
effyou515
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelersYak
solardave
pczach
FrancoLambert
IowaSteeler927
Buddha Bus
Atlanta Dan
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip Empty
PostSubject: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 8:14 am

Great article by Bouchette

On The Steelers: Woe, The Slump

How many times have you heard this one lately? The Steelers have not won a playoff game since the 2010 season and if they do not beat Cincinnati tonight, it will be their longest stretch without a postseason victory since the Immaculate Reception ended 49 years without one.

It’s been five years. My, what a horrible stretch, what a waste of time and money. Can’t even win one measly playoff game in four years? Make it five and there should be changes, right? Front office, coaching staff, maybe even new owners. Shake things up. This cannot continue.

Are some in the, uh, Nation, a little spoiled?...

To begin, their 28 playoff berths and 21 division titles are more than any other team since the 1970 NFL merger with the AFL. Their six Lombardi trophies also are more than any team. But you want to know what they’ve done for you lately, so let’s go there.

In this century, since the 2000 season, the Steelers have the third-best record in the NFL at 164-91-1, behind New England (187-69) and Indianapolis (168-88)....

The Steelers also have gone 12 years without a losing record.

But that’s not the argument. It is that they have not won a playoff game since 2010, even though they’ve now made the postseason three times since that 2010 season, when they won the AFC championship and lost to Green Bay in the Super Bowl by six points.

Here are teams that have not even made the playoffs since then: Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami, Dallas, Chicago and the New York Jets — 11 teams — more than one third of the league.

You want playoff win droughts? Look no further than tonight’s Steelers opponent. The Bengals have not won a playoff game in 25 years. There are others with longer streaks than the Steelers and not counting those 11 who haven’t even made the playoffs since the last time the Steelers won a post-season game. They include Kansas City (22 years without a playoff win), Washington (10), and Philadelphia (7).

And what’s one playoff victory going to do anyway? Instead of one-and-out, is two-and-out that much better? As Mike Tomlin put it so well to Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook this week, “I’m not looking for nuggets of success. I don’t want to hang my hat on and feel good because I won a playoff game in recent years.’’

Maybe one playoff win would make the folks in Cincinnati or Kansas City or Cleveland feel good, but in Pittsburgh everyone is spoiled by the success that began in the 1970s, took a dip in the 1980s — yes, under the great Chuck Noll — and came roaring back pretty much for good in the 1990s.

Yes, they have had the advantage of playing with an elite quarterback since 2004. But what have those elite quarterbacks named Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers accomplished? One fewer Super Bowl win, to start. And what of others like Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo? They’ve never even sniffed one.

You want to follow a team that wins the Super Bowl every year? Can’t help you. Want to follow a team that wins Super Bowls more than anyone and whose only success in most any stretch of this century you want to include is surpassed only by the Patriots*? You have it right here.

Link to full article

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/09/Woe-The-Slump-Steelers-face-Bengals-in-AFC-wild-card-matchup/stories/201601090031

Don't get me wrong - I would be delighted for the Steelers to go on another 1972-79 or 2004 - 2010 run - but until you live in a city with a sad sack franchise like the Falcons it may be hard to recognize how lucky we are as fans

For almost any other franchise the 2004 -2010 run and the competitiveness since Cowher was hired would be astonishing - for Steelers fans it is a second act

Props to the team for hanging together with all of the injures this season - I plan to enjoy as the ride continues tonight
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 am

I hope some on here are reading this article slowly and VERY carefully.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 am

Sometimes the negativity though puts a little pressure on these guys to perform better though I completely agree a lot of people have gone completely overboard with their complaining over the past few seasons. I won't forgive them for that last loss to the Ravens though, that was more than embarrassing, but sometimes a team needs a loss like that to humble them, and make them focus. We're in the playoffs now, and all that matters is winning. Even if we don't win, this team has really improved, and is only a few pieces away from being a powerhouse again. What Tomlin managed to do with this team this season despite major injuries to key players is pretty god damned phenomenal to be completely honest. No Pouncey, no Beachum, Ben out for multiple games, and Le'Veon Bell gone for the season.... Yet here we are in the playoffs. Even if the Bills helped us out a little bit, this season could've easily gone the opposite direction, and the coaches deserve a lot of credit for what they've been able to do in spite of everything.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Great article by Bouchette

On The Steelers: Woe, The Slump

How many times have you heard this one lately? The Steelers have not won a playoff game since the 2010 season and if they do not beat Cincinnati tonight, it will be their longest stretch without a postseason victory since the Immaculate Reception ended 49 years without one.

It’s been five years. My, what a horrible stretch, what a waste of time and money. Can’t even win one measly playoff game in four years? Make it five and there should be changes, right? Front office, coaching staff, maybe even new owners. Shake things up. This cannot continue.

Are some in the, uh, Nation, a little spoiled?...

To begin, their 28 playoff berths and 21 division titles are more than any other team since the 1970 NFL merger with the AFL. Their six Lombardi trophies also are more than any team. But you want to know what they’ve done for you lately, so let’s go there.

In this century, since the 2000 season, the Steelers have the third-best record in the NFL at 164-91-1, behind New England (187-69) and Indianapolis (168-88)....

The Steelers also have gone 12 years without a losing record.

But that’s not the argument. It is that they have not won a playoff game since 2010, even though they’ve now made the postseason three times since that 2010 season, when they won the AFC championship and lost to Green Bay in the Super Bowl by six points.

Here are teams that have not even made the playoffs since then: Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami, Dallas, Chicago and the New York Jets — 11 teams — more than one third of the league.

You want playoff win droughts? Look no further than tonight’s Steelers opponent. The Bengals have not won a playoff game in 25 years. There are others with longer streaks than the Steelers and not counting those 11 who haven’t even made the playoffs since the last time the Steelers won a post-season game. They include Kansas City (22 years without a playoff win), Washington (10), and Philadelphia (7).

And what’s one playoff victory going to do anyway? Instead of one-and-out, is two-and-out that much better? As Mike Tomlin put it so well to Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook this week, “I’m not looking for nuggets of success. I don’t want to hang my hat on and feel good because I won a playoff game in recent years.’’

Maybe one playoff win would make the folks in Cincinnati or Kansas City or Cleveland feel good, but in Pittsburgh everyone is spoiled by the success that began in the 1970s, took a dip in the 1980s — yes, under the great Chuck Noll — and came roaring back pretty much for good in the 1990s.

Yes, they have had the advantage of playing with an elite quarterback since 2004. But what have those elite quarterbacks named Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers accomplished? One fewer Super Bowl win, to start. And what of others like Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo? They’ve never even sniffed one.

You want to follow a team that wins the Super Bowl every year? Can’t help you. Want to follow a team that wins Super Bowls more than anyone and whose only success in most any stretch of this century you want to include is surpassed only by the Patriots**? You have it right here.

Link to full article

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/09/Woe-The-Slump-Steelers-face-Bengals-in-AFC-wild-card-matchup/stories/201601090031

Don't get me wrong - I would be delighted for the Steelers to go on another 1972-79 or 2004 - 2010 run - but until you live in a city with a sad sack franchise like the Falcons it may be hard to recognize how lucky we are as fans

For almost any other franchise the 2004 -2010 run and the competitiveness since Cowher was hired would be astonishing - for Steelers fans it is a second act

Props to the team for hanging together with all of the injures this season - I plan to enjoy as the ride continues tonight

Me too.
Keeping things in the proper perspective....losing Ben and Bell for long stretches of the season......a very weak secondary.....and now losing our second lead RB......Tomlin and company have done a hell of a job getting the team to where they are today.
I'll be as disappointed as one can be if we lose tonight but with the right perspective things look bright for next year.....add a few pieces (secondary players) and better luck staying healthy.....we'll be a serious contender again next year.

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 1948569602
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 9:16 am

There are so many fans that just don't have any perspective.

I get as aggravated or frustrated as anyone, but then I remember how lucky I have been to pick this team as my own and how fortunate I have been to be able to enjoy the wild and unprecedented success this franchise has had over my lifetime.

When I hear the criticisms of fans that call for everyone's head, I just shake my head.

No matter what happens tonight, I am very proud of what the team has accomplished this year. They have overcome a ton of adversity and have never lost focus or faith. Coaching has a lot to do with that. Tomlin has had his best year of coaching IMO. He and this entire staff have done everything they could to make this team believe they could succeed this year despite the injuries and difficulties.

It's years like this that are some of the most rewarding. Every game from here on is a bonus. I'll be upset if the team loses and maybe even question coaching decisions or player performances, but I understand that what they have already done is a great accomplishment.

Fans need to enjoy any success when they can. You never know when things can turn bad. When Ben retires, there will be a giant void that will need to be filled. Rough times may be ahead. We don't know what the future holds, but fans should celebrate and enjoy quality football. Seeing many of my friends and family that root for other teams gives a glimpse into the agony that fans of so many other teams deal with all the time....some of them their entire lives.

Again....we are so fortunate.

Go Steelers!

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 9:53 am

I was the one who said that if we loose to the Brown's because of Blake staying in the game both Tomlin and Butler should be fired and I over reacted.In my defense that would be different if there wasn't another (better) DB to put in.

That aside I also believe they've made the most of what they had to work with (the exception being Blake).
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 am

Agree 100% with @Buddha Bus.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 10:43 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Sometimes the negativity though puts a little pressure on these guys to perform better though I completely agree a lot of people have gone completely overboard with their complaining over the past few seasons.

Negativity doesn't really ever produce positive results.

Ed is right. Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 1647293567 Steeler fans need to be grateful they aren't Chiefs fans. Last Chiefs playoff win was Joe Montana at QB defeating Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers. Bunch of spoiled crybabies complaining that Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 3 seasons.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 11:24 am

yes get a grip on reality if the Steelers lose it will not be the end of the would but I'll still be bummed out.

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip Bf3eed971cf0599a54bf72296bde3d28

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 2829330259

is it to early to start drinking?

here's to a Steelers win  Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 98245350  Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 3056903510

I think it will take all of the four quarters to pull it off.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 11:28 am

He's right. I understand why we place a higher standard- 6 SB rings and that third best record since 2000 and I think we have the best record since the merger but proplr saying Tomlin sucks or the team sucks need perspective and I think Ed gave it here by pointing out that there are many teams that haven't even won a playoff game in the time we've won two SBs and there are some that haven't even gotten to 500. The last time the Steelers had a sub-500 season I was a junior in high school. I recently attended my 10 year reunion. Believe me guys, most fans of other teams are envious of our situation and that's a good part of why many of them hate the Steelers but also why some of them have respect too. Time to continue the Bengals run of misery and go on to Denver.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 11:42 am

Screw this if we lose crap, we haven't won a playoff game in what seems like a decade! No funking way we allow those bungles the first playoff win in a quarter century, not on our clock! If they lose this game simply blow up the building, EVERYBODY'S FIRED!!!

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 2180_hiding_behind_a_couch

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 pm

SoCalFan wrote:
Screw this if we lose crap, we haven't won a playoff game in what seems like a decade! No funking way we allow those bungles the first playoff win in a quarter century, not on our clock! If they lose this game simply blow up the building, EVERYBODY'S FIRED!!!

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 2180_hiding_behind_a_couch

Finally someone restores some sanity in here . Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 2625562446
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Fuck his couch!
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 2:58 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Sometimes the negativity though puts a little pressure on these guys to perform better though I completely agree a lot of people have gone completely overboard with their complaining over the past few seasons.

Ed is right. Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 1647293567  Steeler fans need to be grateful they aren't Chiefs fans.  Last Chiefs playoff win was Joe Montana at QB defeating Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers.  Bunch of spoiled crybabies complaining that Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 3 seasons.  

agreed. for fans, limiting expectations can help to ease disappointment but where's the fun in that? and in general criticism can help to correct a problem. but from the viewpoint of a competitor, negativity breeds doubt and loss of focus. sloppy mistakes and giving up follow easily. You play like you practice, practice makes permanent, so practice perfectly.

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 pm

The Steelers have a HOF QB, a great offensive line, Solid WRs and a slew of Defensive players who were taken 1st-2nd round and they cannot win a Playoff game? That to me seems like reason for major concern. The team has way to much talent to #1- Lose to Sub .500 teams on a regular basis, #2- not only be winless (playoffs)in 5 seasons but be embarrassed at home last year looking completely unprepared. Something has to change.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 6:36 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip Morechiaroscuroandglee
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 12:09 am

Well the playoff win drought is over and the Bengals one continues due to their own stupidity. Gotta love it.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 12:24 am

Games like today play a factor into the craziness of this fanbase.....watching this team play is like having all your emotions ripped out of you and letting a 4 year old play around with it.

This team has to lead the league in games where that type of crazy shenanigans trolls your emotions

FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 12:26 am

WCSteeler wrote:
The Steelers have a HOF QB, a great offensive line, Solid WRs and a slew of Defensive players who were taken 1st-2nd round and they cannot win a Playoff game? That to me seems like reason for major concern. The team has way to much talent to #1- Lose to Sub .500 teams on a regular basis, #2- not only be winless (playoffs)in 5 seasons but be embarrassed at home last year looking completely unprepared. Something has to change.

It did.  

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 175256714 Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 2287965686 Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip 1948569602
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip   Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip Empty

Back to top Go down

Ed B. of the P-G to Steelers Fans - Get A Grip
Page 1 of 1