Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFavorite Nicknames Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Favorite Nicknames

Go down 
+7
solardave
IowaSteeler927
Buddha Bus
Rhyno
Fire Arians
jak341
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm

We all have favorite players. Polamalu was my favorite before he retired and I'll always have love for Mean Joe for being the starter piece in the puzzle that was the Steel Curtain dynasty but my favorite nickname of all time for a Steeler is Jack Ham's Dobre Shunka. Jack's from Johnstown which also happens to be the hometown of my maternal grandparents and furthermore Dobre Shunka is Good Ham in Polish and Slovak(where my mom's mom family was from, glad they went to Johnstown and not somewhere near Cleveland or else I'd be a Browns fan probably yuck.). I also love The Bus for Bettis. Jerome was the first football player I really remembered since he had that awesome nickname and he represented the power football that I fell in love with watching games with my Grandpa as a kid.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 12:32 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
We all have favorite players. Polamalu was my favorite before he retired and I'll always have love for Mean Joe for being the starter piece in the puzzle that was the Steel Curtain dynasty but my favorite nickname of all time for a Steeler is Jack Ham's Dobre Shunka. Jack's from Johnstown which also happens to be the hometown of my maternal grandparents and furthermore Dobre Shunka is Good Ham in Polish and Slovak(where my mom's mom family was from, glad they went to Johnstown and not somewhere near Cleveland or else I'd be a Browns fan probably yuck.). I also love The Bus for Bettis. Jerome was the first football player I really remembered since he had that awesome nickname and he represented the power football that I fell in love with watching games with my Grandpa as a kid.

x2 on the Dobre Shunka. I've always thought that was an awesome nickname. I can only imagine back in the 70's of having aging parents / grandparents that WERE the immigrants from Poland, Slovakia, and the other Eastern European countries speaking broken English.

I was born after the Steel Curtain, but it would have been a great time to be a Steelers fan.

For the record, I was also born and raised in Cambria County. Still have a lot of friends / family in the Johnstown / Altoona area.
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 12:39 pm

I like the nickname for our current defense...Swiss Cheese.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 pm

jak341 wrote:

x2 on the Dobre Shunka. I've always thought that was an awesome nickname. I can only imagine back in the 70's of having aging parents / grandparents that WERE the immigrants from Poland, Slovakia, and the other Eastern European countries speaking broken English.

I was born after the Steel Curtain, but it would have been a great time to be a Steelers fan.

For the record, I was also born and raised in Cambria County. Still have a lot of friends / family in the Johnstown / Altoona area.
Yeah it must have been. I think I confused you though, I was born after the Steel Curtain too and actually am from Virginia but my mom's aunts and uncles lived in Johnstown so we visited a lot when I was a kid, they're all gone now though but we're planning a visit there this summer. I think I really was born to be a Steelers fan with my Western PA roots. My dad's mother grew up not near what became Three Rivers Stadium and my Dad's Dad went to Pitt. I've never lived in Pittsburgh or Johnstown but they're where I consider my roots to be since those are the cities that gave my family a chance when we emigraetd. Plus pierogis are just awesome and the Steelers too.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm

steelers5895 wrote:
I like the nickname for our current defense...Swiss Cheese.
Dude do you have to be a buzzkill? And honestly I don't think our current defense is that bad. It's not what it was I concede but I think it's on the verge of being on the upswing. Our defense played quite well in the playoffs I thought too.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Jonathan "Rollerskates" Scott
Dwight "Hands of" Stone
Limas Peed the bed as a toddler and still does
Jason GilDong
The WoodenDong

Favorite Nicknames 1797695198
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Potsy (not sure If I got that spelled right) James Farrior, the guy with old man strength Favorite Nicknames 1797695198 Favorite Nicknames 1797695198

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm

harrison'samonster wrote:
Potsy (not sure If I got that spelled right)  James Farrior, the guy with old man strength  Favorite Nicknames 1797695198 Favorite Nicknames 1797695198
Potsie. Man I forgot about him. I always thought he was sort of underrated. Not by the team itself but by the fans. IIRC he was captain for a long time too.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

Rhyno

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Potsy (not sure If I got that spelled right)  James Farrior, the guy with old man strength  Favorite Nicknames 1797695198 Favorite Nicknames 1797695198
Potsie. Man I forgot about him. I always thought he was sort of underrated. Not by the team itself but by the fans. IIRC he was captain for a long time too.

Farrior may have been underrated by some, but to many of us he was and will be an all-time favorite. (Of course, I have a long list of all-time favorites.)
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Rhyno wrote:

Farrior may have been underrated by some, but to many of us he was and will be an all-time favorite. (Of course, I have a long list of all-time favorites.)
Maybe not Steelers fans but he never got the amount of attention that Troy, Deebo(another great nickname), got from other fans. But yeah I enjoyed him too. I forget if it was him or Peezy that shouted out after we beat the Bengals in the 2005 playoffs "Who dey they think going to beat them Bengals?"
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Rhyno wrote:

Maybe not Steelers fans but he never got the amount of attention that Troy, Deebo(another great nickname), got from other fans. But yeah I enjoyed him too. I forget if it was him or Peezy that shouted out after we beat the Bengals in the 2005 playoffs "Who dey they think going to beat them Bengals?"

That was Peezy. Farrior was more of a quiet leader.

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Rhyno wrote:

Ah okay, thought that was Peezy but wasn't sure. I always thought Farrior was a little more vocal though. Not quite Peezy but not as quiet as Troy is. I do love how even though we weren't the team that drafted him that Farrior very much became a part of this team. Hope he's enjoying retirement.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Cam "Turnstyle" Thomas

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Rhyno wrote:

Ah okay, thought that was Peezy but wasn't sure. I always thought Farrior was a little more vocal though. Not quite Peezy but not as quiet as Troy is. I do love how even though we weren't the team that drafted him that Farrior very much became a part of this team. Hope he's enjoying retirement.

Most of the team was more vocal than Troy. Favorite Nicknames 1797695198

I think Farrior just wasn't the type of trash talker that guys like Peezy, Greg Lloyd, and Woodley were in comparison.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:19 pm

Jeff "Skippy" Reed

Jerome "The Bus" Bettis

Najeh "Dookie" Davenport

"Mean" Joe Greene

Casey "Big Snack" Hampton

Troy "The Flyin' Hawaiian" Polamalu

Chad "Burnt Toast" Scott

Byron "Bam" Morris

"Fast" Willie Parker

John William "Frenchy" Fuqua

Terry "The Blonde Bomber" Bradshaw

Last edited by Buddha Bus on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:31 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Rhyno wrote:

I think Farrior just wasn't the type of trash talker that guys like Peezy, Greg Lloyd, and Woodley were in comparison.
Hahaha yeah that's a good point. It's too bad that Woodley turned out to be a bust on his second contract. I really thought we had something special with him.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Rhyno wrote:

Hahaha yeah that's a good point. It's too bad that Woodley turned out to be a bust on his second contract. I really thought we had something special with him.

Tell me about it. Woodley looked like a beast until he got that second contract and decided to use the money to test the limits of Golden Corral's all-you-can-eat buffets.

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Rhyno wrote:

Tell me about it. Woodley looked like a beast until he got that second contract and decided to use the money to test the limits of Golden Corral's all-you-can-eat buffets.
I know, I kept on waiting for him to be healthy but he never was. Deebo and Wood are Yin and Yang of how to handle the big bucks. I am glad it's James that the young guys like Jarvis Jones, Anthony Chickillo, and Bud Dupree are learning from. Honestly, if we didn't have a firm spot with Peezy as OLB coach, I'd offer that positoin to James as soon as he retires if he wanted it. Anyhow good nicknames. Rocky Bleier is technically Rocky's nickname and it just is one of those names that sounds like a football name. And although he had that accident, Senor Sack for Gabe Rivera was pretty cool too. Too bad about his accident.
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:47 pm

We have not yet begun to test the limits of an all you can eat buffet!!!

Favorite Nicknames All+You+Can+Eat

IowaSteeler927

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:

Haha I think they have a picture up of him at Golden Corral now as someone that's banned from any franchise premises. Woodley, Eddie Lacy, and Mike Tolbert anyways!

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:38 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Haha I think they have a picture up of him at Golden Corral now as someone that's banned from any franchise premises. Woodley, Eddie Lacy, and Mike Tolbert anyways!

You forgot LenWhale White. Favorite Nicknames 1797695198

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Haha that guy. The 2006 Draft was the first draft I really seriously followed. I posted on the old Steelers.com forum in those days. Anyone else? Anyhow a lot of people thought White would be a great Bettis 2.0. Obviously the FO liked what they had in Fast Willie Parker at that time and traded up for Santonio instead.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Nope! He works there!

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Hey guys how come Ryan Clark never got a nickname? He was always a pretty charismatic guy. Heath Miller is another guy who I don't think has one but I always call him Old Reliable.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 2:11 am

Hey guys how come Ryan Clark never got a nickname? He was always a pretty charismatic guy. Heath Miller is another guy who I don't think has one but I always call him Old Reliable.

Heath does have one. It's "HEEEATTTTHHHHH!!!!!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite Nicknames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Nicknames   Favorite Nicknames Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Nicknames
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next