Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board

Go down 
+10
SteelCityUnderground
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
IowaSteeler927
Lokki
PhantomJB93
BlackAndGold
El-Gonzo Jackson
DesertSteel
kirklandrules
teegre
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
teegre

teegre

TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   Empty
PostSubject: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 12:02 am

Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh. For draft aficionados , like myself, this should be an interesting read.

The 2016 Steelers Draft Board
by Tiger Rowan

In order to create a mock draft, a draftnik first needs to set up a draft board. The way that I arrange my draft board is similar to how actual draft boards are set up.

First, I make a list of players who will definitely go before the Steelers’ draft slot; these are players who the Steelers would absolutely draft, but those players have no realistic chance of dropping that far. Then, I list the players who the Steelers do not need, but will assuredly go in the top part of the draft (usually this is the quarterback position). At that juncture, I generally have about a dozen names written down, so I create a tiered list of the players who the Steelers might actually draft. Last, but not least, I make a list of players that the Steelers do not need (or, whom I do not want) and every time that one of these players gets drafted, it bumps one of the players from the third list (possible picks) down towards Pittsburgh’s slot.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-2016-steelers-draft-board/

Feel free to pass this link along to any mock drafters that you know.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 9:29 am

Another great article Teeg ... thanks for posting!

I tend to like Apple, but it's so hard to know when you have a good one and when you don't. One thing that I liked about Apple that you don't see much in the various write ups is that OSU tends to not provide much help in coverage to their CBs. I don't want to say he was a shut down corner left on an island, but he knew he was on his own for most plays.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:01 pm

I think you're standing on an island when it comes to Apple. If he's there, they're taking him IMO.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Nice article Teeg. I just don't think Artie Burns is going to be risked by anybody until late 2nd or maybe 3rd at the earliest. Ball skills, but not great technique and didn't look fluid in change of direction in the combine drills. I think he has a better chance at being Demarcus Van Dyke than a 1st rounder.

Jackson looks all the part, if he is a willing tackler. Apple is a kid that will take a couple years to progress to be a starter, but not as big a project as Burns IMO.

I think if Spence falls that far, the Steelers might again go with the pass rusher if they are OK with his character questions. Still think its going to be BPA in back 7 of the defense.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 10:01 pm

I have an odd feeling they really like Karl Joseph. If the knee looks good, and he'll be ready by training camp, they may feel comfortable taking him at #25.

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:05 am

kirklandrules wrote:
Another great article Teeg ... thanks for posting!

I tend to like Apple, but it's so hard to know when you have a good one and when you don't. One thing that I liked about Apple that you don't see much in the various write ups is that OSU tends to not provide much help in coverage to their CBs. I don't want to say he was a shut down corner left on an island, but he knew he was on his own for most plays.

Thanks, man.

Interesting about OSU not helping their CBs. Some college guys rack up huge INT numbers, because the safety helps bracket their receiver. "Playing alone" is a plus in Apple's favor.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:07 am

DesertSteel wrote:
I think you're standing on an island when it comes to Apple.

Probably. Everyone, their mother, and the kitchen sink is mocking Apple at #25.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:14 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Nice article Teeg.  I just don't think Artie Burns is going to be risked by anybody until late 2nd or maybe 3rd at the earliest.  Ball skills, but not great technique and didn't look fluid in change of direction in the combine drills.  I think he has a better chance at being Demarcus Van Dyke than a 1st rounder.

Jackson looks all the part, if he is a willing tackler.  Apple is a kid that will take a couple years to progress to be a starter, but not as big a project as Burns IMO.

I think if Spence falls that far, the Steelers might again go with the pass rusher if they are OK with his character questions.  Still think its going to be BPA in back 7 of the defense.

Thanks, brother.

Here's my take on Burns:
Burns is a track star, who is still learning to play football. He is a raw; he's the quintessential "potential" guy. He probably should have gone back to Miami for another year... but, he had to enter the draft.

Burns' father was already in jail (25 years) when Burns' mother died of a heart attack. Here Burns was: 21 years old and the sole guardian for his two younger brothers. There was no option; he had to enter the draft.

Burns is the type of kid that you root for. Even if he plays for the Ravens, I'll be rooting for him.

SUMMATION:
IMO He's not just a speed guy: he has learned to play football; he has improved every year. He'll need a lot of coaching, but I would not mind drafting him at 25 (although, I'd rather trade back at get him at 35).

SPENCE:
Here's my rationale for him: there is ONE blue-chip pass-rusher (Spence). Whereas, there are about seven draftable safeties and fifteen DT/DEs.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 10:16 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
I have an odd feeling they really like Karl Joseph. If the knee looks good, and he'll be ready by training camp, they may feel comfortable taking him at #25.

All of the talk about Burns aside, I actually only have three names on my draft board:

1. Noah Spence
2. Karl Joseph
3. A'Jarrandrew Robillingseed

:nod:
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 pm

teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Nice article Teeg.  I just don't think Artie Burns is going to be risked by anybody until late 2nd or maybe 3rd at the earliest.  Ball skills, but not great technique and didn't look fluid in change of direction in the combine drills.  I think he has a better chance at being Demarcus Van Dyke than a 1st rounder.

Jackson looks all the part, if he is a willing tackler.  Apple is a kid that will take a couple years to progress to be a starter, but not as big a project as Burns IMO.

I think if Spence falls that far, the Steelers might again go with the pass rusher if they are OK with his character questions.  Still think its going to be BPA in back 7 of the defense.

Thanks, brother.  

Here's my take on Burns:  
Burns is a track star, who is still learning to play football. He is a raw; he's the quintessential "potential" guy. He probably should have gone back to Miami for another year... but, he had to enter the draft.

Burns' father was already in jail (25 years) when Burns' mother died of a heart attack. Here Burns was: 21 years old and the sole guardian for his two younger brothers. There was no option; he had to enter the draft.

Burns is the type of kid that you root for. Even if he plays for the Ravens, I'll be rooting for him.

SUMMATION:
IMO He's not just a speed guy: he has learned to play football; he has improved every year.  He'll need a lot of coaching, but I would not mind drafting him at 25 (although, I'd rather trade back at get him at 35).

SPENCE:  
Here's my rationale for him: there is ONE blue-chip pass-rusher (Spence).  Whereas, there are about seven draftable safeties and fifteen DT/DEs.  

Burns isn't really a speed guy. He was a hurdler (110 m and 330M)

Doran Grant ran faster than Burns on the Indy turf (4.44 vs 4.46). Doran Grant had a higher vertical (31.5 vs 33") and similar short shuttle (4.33 vs 4.30) than Burns at their combines. Doran Grant looked efficient in his technique drills on field, while Burns looked all over the place with his angular frame at the combine. Burns 10,4" broad jump was better (9'8" Grant), but Grant benched 21 times to Burns 7 reps.

All in all, I would say that Artie Burns is a similar athlete, more raw in his football ability and much less experience than Doran Grant. IMO, somebody is going to take Burns because he looks the part, but I would not touch him before the 3rd and I would still rather have Eric Murray in the 3rd or 4th instead of Burns. Football players vs. track wimps IMO.
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm

My thoughts:

-I disagree with your argument for Paxton Lynch. If we're taking a first round QB, we're taking him to replace Ben, period. Which I really don't think we need right now. There is simply no reason to invest that high a pick in a QB purely for backup purposes. A "wasted" year with a crappy backup QB for a high pick would be a bigger net gain than losing a first rounder to have a guy like Lynch try and replace Ben purely in the short term and salvage a few games a season. Besides, Paxton is shooting up draft boards after private workouts and I think somebody definitely takes him in the top 15.

-Shaq Lawson should be on here somewhere. He'll likely go before we pick and a lot of people have reported the Steelers love him. I have a feeling if he drops, he's one of those guys we run to the podium for.

-I'm still holding out on my completely biased hope that Kendall Fuller has a chance to be the pick if we do go CB and the top couple guys are gone. His knee injury is the only reason he's been dropped out of the first round and he just received clearance that he's good to go for next season.

And Ike Taylor is completely convinced he is the Steelers' guy, if that means anything.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm

I like Fuller too. Not sure if he is #25 value, but rather more #40 range. Doesn't have the long speed you want, but keeps it in front of him, breaks on footballs and will be physical. I kind of liken him to Marcus Trufant, but a better tackler and not as fast. Almost a DeShea Townsend type player, but I think quicker and more physical.

Could be a great guy in Steelers system with safety help over top. Lets hope he is there in the 2nd round for the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Thanks, brother.  

Here's my take on Burns:  

SUMMATION:
IMO He's not just a speed guy: he has learned to play football; he has improved every year.  He'll need a lot of coaching, but I would not mind drafting him at 25 (although, I'd rather trade back at get him at 35).

SPENCE:  
Here's my rationale for him: there is ONE blue-chip pass-rusher (Spence).  Whereas, there are about seven draftable safeties and fifteen DT/DEs.  

Burns isn't really a speed guy.  He was a hurdler (110 m and 330M)

Doran Grant ran faster than Burns on the Indy turf (4.44 vs 4.46).  Doran Grant had a higher vertical (31.5 vs 33") and similar short shuttle (4.33 vs 4.30) than Burns at their combines.  Doran Grant looked efficient in his technique drills on field, while Burns looked all over the place with his angular frame at the combine.  Burns 10,4" broad jump was better (9'8" Grant), but Grant benched 21 times to Burns 7 reps.

All in all, I would say that Artie Burns is a similar athlete, more raw in his football ability and much less experience than Doran Grant.  IMO, somebody is going to take Burns because he looks the part, but I would not touch him before the 3rd and I would still rather have Eric Murray in the 3rd or 4th instead of Burns.  Football players vs. track wimps IMO.

Good points.

I honestly think that the Steelers are going to go DT/DE and SS (or, SS and DE/DT) in R1 and R2. They won't address CB until R3... where I like Cyrus Jones or the kid from Temple.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 7:25 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
My thoughts:

-I disagree with your argument for Paxton Lynch.  If we're taking a first round QB, we're taking him to replace Ben, period.  Which I really don't think we need right now.  There is simply no reason to invest that high a pick in a QB purely for backup purposes.  A "wasted" year with a crappy backup QB for a high pick would be a bigger net gain than losing a first rounder to have a guy like Lynch try and replace Ben purely in the short term and salvage a few games a season.  Besides, Paxton is shooting up draft boards after private workouts and I think somebody definitely takes him in the top 15.

-Shaq Lawson should be on here somewhere.  He'll likely go before we pick and a lot of people have reported the Steelers love him.  I have a feeling if he drops, he's one of those guys we run to the podium for.

-I'm still holding out on my completely biased hope that Kendall Fuller has a chance to be the pick if we do go CB and the top couple guys are gone.  His knee injury is the only reason he's been dropped out of the first round and he just received clearance that he's good to go for next season.

And Ike Taylor is completely convinced he is the Steelers' guy, if that means anything.

LYNCH:
Good point. In five years (ashen Lynch's rookie contract runs out), BB will be 39. Sooo... maybe Lynch us a backup now, but become the starter in a few years. IMO Lynch is a very good QB. If he drops to 25, the Steelers have to strongly consider him.

If he goes top 15, that pushes a defender down to the Steelers... which is a good thing.

LAWSON/DODD:
Yeah, I didn't include those guys... both of whom could go top 24 and/or coukd play OLB for the Steelers.

FULLER:
I like him better than Apple. (I know that you'all have written a lot to convince me of otherwise, but Apple seems like a reach to me.) He might indeed be Pittsburgh's guy... at 58.

Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 11:48 am

teegre wrote:

Like Elam? Still too soon? TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   1797695198
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 11:13 pm

Lokki wrote:
teegre wrote:

Like Elam?  Still too soon?  TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   1797695198

TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   1797695198

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 4:43 am

Good write up Teeg. Can't wait for the draft!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 7:31 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Thanks, brother.

I already have next Thursday & Friday off from work (so that I can be home in time to watch the draft).

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 10:24 am

Good read as always. I'm looking forward to draft night and discussing it with you guys as the events unfold. I can't wait to see who we get.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Good stuff! I think the obvious ones, are, well, obvious!

I see us going after Robinson, Billings, Joseph or Neal. Of the 4, I do think Joseph is our guy.

I don't think we take a CB in round 1. The visits/pro days just don't line up for it.

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2016/04/19/duel-opinions-who-do-the-steelers-choose-with-their-top-draft-pick/

http://steelcityunderground.com
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 4:24 am

teegre wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Thanks, brother.  

I already have next Thursday & Friday off from work (so that I can be home in time to watch the draft).  

Lucky duck! My work sucks right now, can't get any time off whatsoever. Thankfully I work nights though so I can catch the draft!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 1:23 pm

On draft day there is one guy I'm watching, that sort falls into Teegres elam disappointment territory .....meaning I don't want him to go to one of our rivals....

And that's Josh doctson Wr fom TCU....him paired up with an aj green, and tyler eifert would be a nightmare to cover.....and it would be almost as bad if he went to the ravens.

Doctson is the only offensive playmaker I'd be OK with them using another 1st round pick on if he somehow falls that far...I'm kind of resigned to the fact that we aren't going to take a corner in the 1st and have moved on to other players that could be an impact player for us....I know it's unlikely as they drafted Sammie and have shown support and willingness to stay by bryant....but I just think it would be one Hellacious assortment of weapons if we added him to bell and brown.

But above all I just hope he doesn't end up on either the ravens or bengals.

SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 2:58 pm

SteelerSpartan wrote:

Can we just take away the Bengals or Ravens pick?

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 3:04 pm

SteelCityUnderground wrote:
SteelerSpartan wrote:

I'll take it.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
SteelCityUnderground wrote:
SteelerSpartan wrote:

I'll take it.

Give it to Cleveland. They'll know what to do with it!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board    TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board   Empty

Back to top Go down

TPOP: The 2016 Steelers Draft Board
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next