Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem

Go down 
+19
Wallace108
Vis
kirklandrules
WVABE
Steeler-in-west
SteelerFreak58
Fire Arians
FrancoLambert
SteelerSpartan
BKAnthem
stlrtruck
Craziaskowboi
effyou515
Master_Of_Puppets
schillah
OX1947
IowaSteeler927
El-Gonzo Jackson
Hawaii 5-0
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
WVABE

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 7:46 am

Shit stirrers are being paid very well these days.
Looks and sounds like some of the NWO bullshit going on these days.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Why is it that when Kaperneck says his problem is with how minorities are treated.........but everybody wants to make this into him disrespecting military servicemen/women??  

Seems like one of 2 things:
1. Classic deflection from talking about issue of race, so they make it about military service.
2. Nobody is listening to what Kaepernick is saying, so they make it about their issues, not his issue.  (first seek to understand, then seek to be understood- Stephen Covey)

Gonz,

I think the connection is made because the national anthem is so closely associated with the military and those who serve or have served our country and he chose to make his personal statement by using the national anthem as his vehicle.

When you hear the anthem played or sung, what comes to mind first..... racial/social injustice or giving thanks for our freedom, our country and those who served to protect it.

From the reaction across the country it points to the latter.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 230572241

The song itself is about a battle and the author realizes how much he's thankful for after a night-long bombardment of an American fort because "the flag was still there". America's national anthem is a song that blatantly reminds Americans that their freedom was paid by the blood of those who served. This isn't my opinion ... it's all in the words of the song. It's why people cry during the song ... not because they are just patriotic and feel the joy of freedom ... they are thinking of those that paid for our freedom.

I agree with Truck, Kaepernick's protest sh!ts on our service members even if that's not what he intended. If his anger is with the US, go hunt bald eagles or maybe he should keep his anger at the police and  protest the brothers in blue. It just goes to show the stupidity of our entertainers these days. What would people think if I said I feel sick about the US because a very small percentage of teachers have had sexual encounters with their students? Kinda stupid isn't it? Honestly, this reminds me of that scene in Animal House when Otter gives his diatribe that banning Delta was bad-mouthing the United States of America. "Well, I for one, am not going to stand here while you bad-mouth the United States of America".

The beauty of the the 1st amendment is that he has the right to make his protest. And I have a right to say he's an overpaid, sh!tty QB who is coming off as a dumb-ass.

PS: Did you guys see that Kaepernick tried to throw the American flag on the ground to burn it? It was intercepted! Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 2913999526
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 11:57 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Black people commit crimes at a higher rate than any other ethnicity, I would never judge the entirety of their community based on the actions of the few but I'm sick and damn tired of hearing people call the police murderers, claiming that they're out there just shooting unarmed people willy nilly. That's a crock of crap, and the people making these claims are people that haven't walked a single day in the shoes of a police officer and have no understanding of what it is that that job entails. If you did then you'd understand that those of us who comprise the thin blue line, don't take kindly to rotten apples amongst our ranks, and you'd understand that just like any other profession out there, that unfortunately, rotten apples find a way in. We're all for prosecuting them but calling cops murderers, and saying "Black Lives Matter" as if they're more important than any other life is just beyond ludicrous. Look at all these landmark shootings that have spurred on this whole "movement". Michael Brown assaulted a store owner, assaulted and attempted to disarm a police officer, and ended up shot. Witnesses blatantly lied on Michael Brown's behalf saying he had his hands up saying "don't shoot" which was proven to be a lie. The officer was battered, and he was judged guilty and raked through the coals nationally by a media and public that denied him his constitutional rights to due process and ruined his life and career. Nobody cared about the facts though, the facts came out, and all these people incensed to hate the police just waited for another shooting to happen so they could carry on the negative narrative.

These impoverished communities need to stand up, accept accountability for their mistakes, and work to improve themselves so the police don't have to intervene when their kids join gangs and get involved in criminal activities. It's not the police's fault when people make the decision to become criminals. They're not racist, they're not out targeting any specific race, they're out targeting crime and it just so happens that crime is the highest within the black community. These problems need to be attacked at the roots, as it sits, people don't want to accept that, they just want to scapegoat the police. That's not to say the police don't mess up, because they do, but the problems with the police are few and far between compared to the problems at large with the black community, in particular the most impoverished communities nationwide. People want to generalize the police for a handful of questionable shootings, but when 60 people get shot as a result of gang violence in Chicago in one weekend... Nobody says a thing. These same protesters, who are crying "Black Lives Matter" were nowhere to be found when Louisiana was hit with horrendous flooding, but the police were out there saving lives and putting themselves on the line... The police stood in front of, and protected protesters from the shooter in Dallas despite the fact these very same people were the ones defaming them.

Either way, I just get sick of hearing this stuff. Day in and day out, good officers getting killed because of this negative narrative that has gone way, way too far. People are acting like it's 1950 and we have institutional segregation going on... I'm sick of being called a racist myself simply because I'm white and I have to tell people "no" in my career field. I'm the furthest thing from racist, my family is ridiculously diverse, and the group of friends and I hang out with and talk to are diverse just the same. Color of skin means nothing to me outside of these stupid political debates where you're forced to bring it up. To me race is a label, one that only creates division among people. We're all human beings, that's all that should matter.

As for Kaepernick, stand for the National Anthem and respect the flag and your country, and the people that have fought for it. If you want to protest do it on your own time instead of using your team and the league as a medium to push your agenda down everyone else's throats. You can go and stand for a cause in a respectable way, without being disrespectful to your country.

Had to check and make sure i wasn't on a storm front or KKK website after reading this BS, But you are from Iowa so ( see what i did there?) :

A 2011 study which examined violent crime trends between 1980 and 2008 found that racial imbalances between arrest and incarceration levels were both small and comparably sized across the study period. The authors argued that the prior studies had been confounded by not separating Hispanics from Whites.[29] Another recent study in 2012 raises a different concern, showing that Hispanics and blacks receive considerably longer sentences for the same or lesser offenses on average than white offenders with equal or greater criminal records.[30][31]

A 2012 University of Michigan Law School study found that African Americans are given longer federal sentences even when factoring prior criminal records, and that African American jail sentences tend to be roughly 10% longer than white jail sentences for the same crimes.[32] The study found that Federal Prosecutors of African American and Hispanic defendants are almost twice as likely to push for mandatory minimum sentences, leading to longer sentences and disparities in incarceration rates for federal offenses.[33]

Ref:

"The Imprisonment Penalty for Young Black and Hispanic Males". Jrc.sagepub.com. 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2013-08-15.

"Racial disparity in the wake of Booker/Fanfan Making sense of "messy" results and other challenges for sentencing research - Engen - 2011 - Criminology & Public Policy - Wiley Online Library".

"Racial Disparity in Federal Criminal Charging and Its Sentencing Consequences". Papers.ssrn.com. Retrieved 8 October 2014.

Rehavi and Starr (2012) "Racial Disparity in Federal Criminal Charging and Its Sentencing Consequences" Working Paper Series, no. 12-002 (Univ. of Michigan Law & Economics, Empirical Legal Studies Center)

In a Nutshell....Same Crime...Different Time

And if your going in on old boy....where is the outrage over Bryton Mellott?  Not one person here (including you) crucifying Kapernick mentioned him...smdh
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 7:40 am

Nate Boyer writes open letter to Colin Kaepernick

"I'm not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It's your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I'd be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I've never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you've gone through is as ignorant as someone who's never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it's like to go to war. ...

"I look forward to the day you're inspired to once again stand during our national anthem. I'll be standing right there next to you. Keep on trying. ... De Oppresso Liber."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000693173/article/nate-boyer-writes-open-letter-to-colin-kaepernick

watch the interview - be like Nate

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 am

Vis wrote:
Nate Boyer writes open letter to Colin Kaepernick

"I'm not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It's your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I'd be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I've never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you've gone through is as ignorant as someone who's never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it's like to go to war. ...

"I look forward to the day you're inspired to once again stand during our national anthem. I'll be standing right there next to you. Keep on trying. ... De Oppresso Liber."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000693173/article/nate-boyer-writes-open-letter-to-colin-kaepernick

watch the interview - be like Nate

Good article thanks for posting.  ESPN has a good article including a video interview with the ex Green Beret and Seahawks long snapper.  The link is below:

Nate Boyer defends Colin Kaepernick's right to protest

Nate Boyer, a former Green Beret and Seattle Seahawks long snapper, penned an open letter to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Tuesday evening, defending his right to protest racial inequality in the United States by sitting during the national anthem.

Later, in an interview with SportsCenter, Boyer said that after he listened to Kaepernick's reasoning for his protest, "not only does he every right to do that, but I respect him. It was incredibly brave what he did."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17433156/veteran-ex-nfler-nate-boyer-defends-colin-kaepernick

There are even some tweets from other veterans on their opinions of the situation.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 10:15 am

Problems don't get solved by dividing people. If Kaepernick wants to change hearts and minds and help make America (and the world) a better place, perhaps he could learn a thing or two from Florida State wide receiver Travis Rudolph.

FSU WR joins middle schooler with autism who had been sitting by himself at lunch

The gridiron isn’t the only place where a football player can do something special.

Several Florida State football players visited Montford Middle School Tuesday to meet with students. Wide receiver Travis Rudolph was one of the players who went and he helped make the day of a young student with autism by having lunch with him.

Leah Paske shared a post on Facebook thanking Rudolph for the gesture and explained how normally her son eats by himself at lunch. What Rudolph did brought her to tears.

“I'm not sure what exactly made this incredibly kind man share a lunch table with my son, but I'm happy to say that it will not soon be forgotten,” Paske wrote. “This is one day I didn't have to worry if my sweet boy ate lunch alone, because he sat across from someone who is a hero in many eyes.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/florida-state-receiver-eats-lunch-autistic-boy-sitting-article-1.2772697

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 10:33 am

To Viz, Gonzo, and BK, it's honestly not even worth it to try arguing with the sort of people who find this as some great affront to American values but will vote Trump come November despite having shit on POWs (McCain), disrespected the parents of a fallen soldier (Khan), & promises to make America great again despite the fact that none of the garbage he's ever produced was Made in the USA. This is the champion of people who buy xenophobia over actual policy or critical thinking.

Don't waste your breath, guys.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 10:44 am

dave n'at wrote:
To Viz, Gonzo, and BK, it's honestly not even worth it to try arguing with the sort of people who find this as some great affront to American values but will vote Trump come November despite having shit on POWs (McCain), disrespected the parents of a fallen soldier (Khan), & promises to make America great again despite the fact that none of the garbage he's ever produced was Made in the USA. This is the champion of people who buy xenophobia over actual policy or critical thinking.

If you assume that all the people who are critical of Kaepernick in this thread are Trump supporters or will vote for him ... well, you know what they say about assumptions. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 10:48 am

Wallace108 wrote:
dave n'at wrote:

If you assume that all the people who are critical of Kaepernick in this thread are Trump supporters or will vote for him ... well, you know what they say about assumptions. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 230572241

I wasn't really including you in this scenario since you really didn't post much in the way of what I was referring to. In fact, I actually was rather moved by the story you did post about the kid sitting by himself at lunch. But dudes like Iowa? I'd bet the farm on his Trump loyalty.

EDIT: For the record, I generally agree with the sentiment that if Kaepernick wants to make a difference in the community, there's vastly better ways to do it, especially for someone of his social and economic standing. However, as an American, I will stand up for his right to protest however he sees fit. Being paid handsomely for the job you do does not negate your rights as an American citizen. I'm willing to bet if he said he was sitting until Hillary (whom I also detest) admitted fault for Benghazi, all these right wing nutjobs would be as silent as a church mouse. But then you'd see the left up in arms just like the right wing is in this scenario. Everyone needs to learn that freedom is freedom, not "freedom to agree with what I agree with".

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 10:54 am

BKAnthem wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Black people commit crimes at a higher rate than any other ethnicity, I would never judge the entirety of their community based on the actions of the few but I'm sick and damn tired of hearing people call the police murderers, claiming that they're out there just shooting unarmed people willy nilly. That's a crock of crap, and the people making these claims are people that haven't walked a single day in the shoes of a police officer and have no understanding of what it is that that job entails. If you did then you'd understand that those of us who comprise the thin blue line, don't take kindly to rotten apples amongst our ranks, and you'd understand that just like any other profession out there, that unfortunately, rotten apples find a way in. We're all for prosecuting them but calling cops murderers, and saying "Black Lives Matter" as if they're more important than any other life is just beyond ludicrous. Look at all these landmark shootings that have spurred on this whole "movement". Michael Brown assaulted a store owner, assaulted and attempted to disarm a police officer, and ended up shot. Witnesses blatantly lied on Michael Brown's behalf saying he had his hands up saying "don't shoot" which was proven to be a lie. The officer was battered, and he was judged guilty and raked through the coals nationally by a media and public that denied him his constitutional rights to due process and ruined his life and career. Nobody cared about the facts though, the facts came out, and all these people incensed to hate the police just waited for another shooting to happen so they could carry on the negative narrative.

These impoverished communities need to stand up, accept accountability for their mistakes, and work to improve themselves so the police don't have to intervene when their kids join gangs and get involved in criminal activities. It's not the police's fault when people make the decision to become criminals. They're not racist, they're not out targeting any specific race, they're out targeting crime and it just so happens that crime is the highest within the black community. These problems need to be attacked at the roots, as it sits, people don't want to accept that, they just want to scapegoat the police. That's not to say the police don't mess up, because they do, but the problems with the police are few and far between compared to the problems at large with the black community, in particular the most impoverished communities nationwide. People want to generalize the police for a handful of questionable shootings, but when 60 people get shot as a result of gang violence in Chicago in one weekend... Nobody says a thing. These same protesters, who are crying "Black Lives Matter" were nowhere to be found when Louisiana was hit with horrendous flooding, but the police were out there saving lives and putting themselves on the line... The police stood in front of, and protected protesters from the shooter in Dallas despite the fact these very same people were the ones defaming them.

Either way, I just get sick of hearing this stuff. Day in and day out, good officers getting killed because of this negative narrative that has gone way, way too far. People are acting like it's 1950 and we have institutional segregation going on... I'm sick of being called a racist myself simply because I'm white and I have to tell people "no" in my career field. I'm the furthest thing from racist, my family is ridiculously diverse, and the group of friends and I hang out with and talk to are diverse just the same. Color of skin means nothing to me outside of these stupid political debates where you're forced to bring it up. To me race is a label, one that only creates division among people. We're all human beings, that's all that should matter.

As for Kaepernick, stand for the National Anthem and respect the flag and your country, and the people that have fought for it. If you want to protest do it on your own time instead of using your team and the league as a medium to push your agenda down everyone else's throats. You can go and stand for a cause in a respectable way, without being disrespectful to your country.

Had to check and make sure i wasn't on a storm front or KKK website after reading this BS, But you are from Iowa so ( see what i did there?) :

A 2011 study which examined violent crime trends between 1980 and 2008 found that racial imbalances between arrest and incarceration levels were both small and comparably sized across the study period. The authors argued that the prior studies had been confounded by not separating Hispanics from Whites.[29] Another recent study in 2012 raises a different concern, showing that Hispanics and blacks receive considerably longer sentences for the same or lesser offenses on average than white offenders with equal or greater criminal records.[30][31]

A 2012 University of Michigan Law School study found that African Americans are given longer federal sentences even when factoring prior criminal records, and that African American jail sentences tend to be roughly 10% longer than white jail sentences for the same crimes.[32] The study found that Federal Prosecutors of African American and Hispanic defendants are almost twice as likely to push for mandatory minimum sentences, leading to longer sentences and disparities in incarceration rates for federal offenses.[33]

Ref:

"The Imprisonment Penalty for Young Black and Hispanic Males". Jrc.sagepub.com. 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2013-08-15.

"Racial disparity in the wake of Booker/Fanfan Making sense of "messy" results and other challenges for sentencing research - Engen - 2011 - Criminology & Public Policy - Wiley Online Library".

"Racial Disparity in Federal Criminal Charging and Its Sentencing Consequences". Papers.ssrn.com. Retrieved 8 October 2014.

Rehavi and Starr (2012) "Racial Disparity in Federal Criminal Charging and Its Sentencing Consequences" Working Paper Series, no. 12-002 (Univ. of Michigan Law & Economics, Empirical Legal Studies Center)

And if your going in on old boy....where is the outrage over Bryton Mellott?  Not one person here (including you)  crucifying Kapernick mentioned him...smdh

BK, I don't disagree with the evidence you present nor with the idea that there's prejudice in the system, however, I don't think your analysis was in line with Iowa's post. You're slamming him for his ideas by providing evidence in a separate category from which Iowa speaks to. Incarceration rates compared to arrest rates isn't in his topic. You might want to provide evidence that shows crime rates by demographic, that will help get your argument in line with his post.

I'm not sure why you think people would reference Mellott as an example in line with Kaepernick. Mellott is a nobody nut who got 5 mins of fame (although not widespread fame because he was really a nobody) for burning the flag and posting pics of it online. The guy has more than a few loose screws, thought he could post his pics of flag burning on Facebook and hide behind the 1st amendment ... but was arrested anyways. Kaepernick was a semi successful QB who took his team to the SB and decided to use his fame to protest against something that is recently dear to him. There are some responders to this thread that think his protest is ill-directed and shows a lack of thought.

And for those trying to keep a tic sheet: I'm disgusted with both Trump and Hillary, somehow that matters in this thread?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:00 pm

dave n'at wrote:
EDIT: For the record, I generally agree with the sentiment that if Kaepernick wants to make a difference in the community, there's vastly better ways to do it, especially for someone of his social and economic standing. However, as an American, I will stand up for his right to protest however he sees fit. Being paid handsomely for the job you do does not negate your rights as an American citizen.

Freedom of speech doesn't always extend to the workplace, but that's a discussion for another time.

Who is trying to take away his rights? No one is suggesting that Kaepernick doesn't have the right to do what he's doing. But just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do it and that there won't be consequences. You have the right to walk into your boss's office and call him/her an asshole, but I wouldn't suggest exercising that right.

No one is trying to take away Kaepernick's rights. He has the right to not stand during the National Anthem (as long as the 49ers/NFL don't object). And people have the right to criticize him for it. That's how freedom of speech works.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Freedom of speech doesn't always extend to the workplace, but that's a discussion for another time.

Who is trying to take away his rights? No one is trying to take away Kaepernick's rights.

Okay, I'll bite.

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I watch the NFL to escape the politics, and garbage the media spews..  Now I'm being forced to see it in my football. Enough is enough with this crap.

Craziaskowboi wrote:
Yes, they really should shut up and entertain me, because that's exactly what they're paid to do. They're not getting paid to politicize.

Fire Arians wrote:
America made him a rich ass dude so he should stand or gtfo. Maybe play for the CFL and earn 50k a year instead of hating on the country that made him a wealthy man lol

And that's just from this board in a two-page thread. The bile is even worse on social media.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:12 pm

If you decide to voice your concerns about racial intolerance, police behavior, and freedom of expression, it may not be a good look to appear in a T-shirt with images of Malcolm X and Fidel Castro or to wear socks with images of police as pigs if you do not want your message to be overtaken by dislike for the messenger.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Colin-kaepernick-castro-t-shirt
http://www.snopes.com/kaepernick-wears-castro-t-shirt/

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Kaepernick-socks-cops-08-31-16
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

Just because entertainers from both the right and left have a public platform to express their views on significant issues does not mean those views are particularly well informed, even if it may result in you winning a nomination for President.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:13 pm

dave n'at wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Who is trying to take away his rights? No one is trying to take away Kaepernick's rights.

Okay, I'll bite.

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I watch the NFL to escape the politics, and garbage the media spews..  Now I'm being forced to see it in my football. Enough is enough with this crap.

Craziaskowboi wrote:
Yes, they really should shut up and entertain me, because that's exactly what they're paid to do. They're not getting paid to politicize.

Fire Arians wrote:
America made him a rich ass dude so he should stand or gtfo. Maybe play for the CFL and earn 50k a year instead of hating on the country that made him a wealthy man lol

And that's just from this board in a two-page thread. The bile is even worse on social media.

No one here at SX nor anyone on social media has the power to take away Kaepernick's rights. It seems that you want Kaepernick to have the right to free speech/protest, but not those who disagree with him.

Back to top Go down
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
dave n'at wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Okay, I'll bite.

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Craziaskowboi wrote:

Fire Arians wrote:

No one here at SX nor anyone on social media has the power to take away Kaepernick's rights. It seems that you want Kaepernick to have the right to free speech/protest, but not those who disagree with him.

Yeah cause that's definitely something I said. Oh wait, it's not actually. They can say whatever the hell they please but suggesting he shut his mouth or leave the country is certainly not an argument for freedom. This all started with me suggesting the other level-headed people in this thread not waste their time trying to explain shit to a brick wall and now I'm gonna take my own advice. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 2981382511

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:31 pm

dave n'at wrote:
This all started with me suggesting the other level-headed people in this thread not waste their time trying to explain shit to a brick wall and now I'm gonna take my own advice. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 2981382511

You mentioned the bile on social media. There are a lot of people out there who can't be civil toward anyone who doesn't agree with them. As for this thread, members are essentially on one of two sides. Only one of those sides has insulted and ridiculed the other for not agreeing with them. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 230572241

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:39 pm

dave n'at wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
dave n'at wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Okay, I'll bite.

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Craziaskowboi wrote:

Fire Arians wrote:

Yeah cause that's definitely something I said. Oh wait, it's not actually. They can say whatever the hell they please but suggesting he shut his mouth or leave the country is certainly not an argument for freedom. This all started with me suggesting the other level-headed people in this thread not waste their time trying to explain shit to a brick wall and now I'm gonna take my own advice. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 2981382511

So you site quotes of a few posters' opinions and treat them as aggression toward the 1st amendment? Kaepernick has to understand when you put yourself in the spotlight and take a stand, people will express their opinions. Maybe you just happen to agree with his protest. But several posters, myself included, stated he has the right protest, but we have the right to say what we think about him if he does. And people have the right to disagree with what the 1st amendment covers. At this point, all the talk from both sides still falls within the 1st amendment. Once someone takes action to prevent Kaepernick from making an ass of himself, then there's a problem.

If someone posted a remark that is vile toward a minority group that is in line with the KKK, would you stand up for their 1st amendment right by criticizing anyone who tells that person to leave the country or shut their mouth? I bet you'd be the first in line to clobber that individual. So, what we have here is:

dave n'at wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
It seems that you want Kaepernick to have the right to free speech/protest, but not those who disagree with him Dave.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Kaepernick-socks-cops-08-31-16
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

Head of police association blasts Colin Kaepernick over socks

The head of a national police organization ripped Colin Kaepernick and the NFL for the San Francisco 49ers quarterback wearing socks with cartoon pigs in police hats.

According to USA Today, Kaepernick has reportedly worn the socks as early as Aug. 10 in practice, but he has not yet been asked about them. Images of the socks were posted on social media Wednesday night and quickly created a stir.

"It's just ridiculous that the same league that prohibits the Dallas (Cowboys) football club from honoring the slain officers in their community with their uniforms stands silent when Kaepernick is dishonoring police officers with what he's wearing on the field," Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said, according to USA TODAY Sports.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17441449/head-police-association-slams-colin-kaepernick-socks
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

"It's just ridiculous that the same league that prohibits the Dallas (Cowboys) football club from honoring the slain officers in their community with their uniforms stands silent when Kaepernick is dishonoring police officers with what he's wearing on the field," Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said, according to USA TODAY Sports.

That will be a good point if he wears them on gameday while in uniform

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Vis wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

That will be a good point if he wears them on gameday while in uniform

For purposes of clarification my photo of the shoes post did not include the statements from the NAPO director, which I also regard to be an erroneous interpretation of the league's uniform policy

But FWIW under the CBA personal conduct disciplinary provisions as they are being interpreted in the courts, if Goodell wants to go after Kaepernick for what he wears in practice to disparage the police my bet is he can do it regardless of whether or not it is game day

It would be idiotic and get the league in the middle of something it wants to go away, but as we know Kaepernick has no freedom of expression rights as a NFL employee

Someone much savvier than Kaepernick  is hoping he gets a plan for where this is heading

"At some point in the very near future he needs to figure out a way where he can be a part of the solution," [Kareem] Abdul-Jabbar said, "so I would suggest to Mr. Kaepernick that he try to become a bridge between the black community and the police forces."...

Abdul-Jabbar said the killing of unarmed individuals is "no longer something we can live with." Saying that his father and grandfather were both members of law enforcement, Abdul-Jabbar also said, "Police officers are a very vital and necessary part of what democracy is about. We can't do without police."

Abdul-Jabbar recounted his experience in 1967, when he and other black athletes, including Jim Brown and Bill Russell, held a summit to show their support for Muhammad Ali's decision not to fight in the Vietnam War.

As to whether he sees Kaepernick's actions in line with Ali's protest, Abdul-Jabbar said it depends on what Kaepernick does now, and whether he can "find a positive way to interact with the people who support him. ... We have to be able to hear the other side."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/kareem-abdul-jabbar-colin-kaepernick-part-solution/story?id=41800984

As to how someone can use a professional athlete's fame to make their point without castigating the police, this is how LeBron James, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade did it at the ESPYs

Back to top Go down
SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Half the country is going to vote for a guy named Trump who said, BTW, that "Mexican's are rapists". I'm willing to bet that just about all of those same people have a problem with Kap wearing those socks.

I'm a veteran and I have no issue with him not saluting the flag. Every single vet alive that's ever served was there to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". If he's exercising his 1st amendment rights, which is part of the constitution, then there ya go...

I'm more upset that him refusing to salute the flag is even an issue

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 6:21 pm

SteelerEmpire wrote:

I'm a veteran and I have no issue with him not saluting the flag. Every single vet alive that's ever served was there to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". If he's exercising his 1st amendment rights, which is part of the constitution, then there ya go...

I'm more upset that him refusing to salute the flag is even an issue

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 1647293567
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 7:47 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Ref:

And if your going in on old boy....where is the outrage over Bryton Mellott?  Not one person here (including you)  crucifying Kapernick mentioned him...smdh

BK, I don't disagree with the evidence you present nor with the idea that there's prejudice in the system, however, I don't think your analysis was in line with Iowa's post. You're slamming him for his ideas by providing evidence in a separate category from which Iowa speaks to. Incarceration rates compared to arrest rates isn't in his topic. You might want to provide evidence that shows crime rates by demographic, that will help get your argument in line with his post.

I'm not sure why you think people would reference Mellott as an example in line with Kaepernick. Mellott is a nobody nut who got 5 mins of fame (although not widespread fame because he was really a nobody) for burning the flag and posting pics of it online. The guy has more than a few loose screws, thought he could post his pics of flag burning on Facebook and hide behind the 1st amendment ... but was arrested anyways. Kaepernick was a semi successful QB who took his team to the SB and decided to use his fame to protest against something that is recently dear to him. There are some responders to this thread that think his protest is ill-directed and shows a lack of thought.

And for those trying to keep a tic sheet: I'm disgusted with both Trump and Hillary, somehow that matters in this thread?

It is in line if you consider a black person will more than likely end up with a criminal conviction and a white person won't for committing the same crime....padding these crime stats he's referring to that are committed by blacks over any other ethnicity. Mellot Burned a Flag and got not even half the outrage Colin is getting for his silent protest which hurts no one and damages nothing. I also disagree with your lack of thought comment, he thought it was in his constitutional protected right to protest something he felt was wrong..the only lack of thought i see are people quick to call him the N word and disrespectful for it...
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 8:13 am

BKAnthem wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Ref:

Insinuate I'm racist again and you'll be on the wrong side of the ban hammer real quick. That kind of disrespect is totally unnecessary. My uncle is a black man married to a white woman, I have two cousins that are mixed race. You think I didn't have to defend them from racist scumbags growing up in small town Iowa?

My best friend is South Korean, my wife is Hispanic. I have family that is openly gay, and I have a member in my family that's transsexual as well. I'm the furthest thing from racist or intollerant. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I'm racist. I do not hate anyone, in fact I think race is a ridiculous label that only creates division between everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 8:26 am

dave n'at wrote:

I wasn't really including you in this scenario since you really didn't post much in the way of what I was referring to. In fact, I actually was rather moved by the story you did post about the kid sitting by himself at lunch. But dudes like Iowa? I'd bet the farm on his Trump loyalty.

Well better get me the deed to your farm, because I'm not a Trump supporter. I hate Hillary, and I hate Trump. I am a firm Independent and I'll likely be writing someone in on my ballot. Any more asinine assumptions about me that I can address?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next