Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSammie Coates has surgery Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Sammie Coates has surgery

Go down 
+8
Atlanta Dan
muncher
SteelerFreak58
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
jak341
solardave
IowaSteeler927
12 posters
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Sammie Coates has surgery Empty
PostSubject: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785775/article/sammie-coates-reportedly-undergoes-hernia-surgery

So Coates has undergone surgery to repair a hernia. This, in addition to surgery he had last month to repair his broken fingers.

Can't really say I blame the guy for his drop off in production. I can't imagine playing his position with two busted fingers on the same hand, and a sports hernia on top of that. I just hope he gets back to full health and we get to see the Sammie Coates from Weeks 1-5 who showed some flashes of talent. I think we'll definitely benefit from getting Bryant back, and Coates won't have to be relied upon so heavily but he could be fresh legs, or an additional weapon on the field in 4 or 5 WR sets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 am

I bitched a lot about him last year and hearing this I feel for him. I hope he comes back and has a good season next year. Like you said Iowa with Bryant back and Rogers breaking out I think he can be a valuable receiver for us.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785775/article/sammie-coates-reportedly-undergoes-hernia-surgery

So Coates has undergone surgery to repair a hernia. This, in addition to surgery he had last month to repair his broken fingers.

Can't really say I blame the guy for his drop off in production. I can't imagine playing his position with two busted fingers on the same hand, and a sports hernia on top of that. I just hope he gets back to full health and we get to see the Sammie Coates from Weeks 1-5 who showed some flashes of talent. I think we'll definitely benefit from getting Bryant back, and Coates won't have to be relied upon so heavily but he could be fresh legs, or an additional weapon on the field in 4 or 5 WR sets.

Maybe that is why he slid down the depth chart into obscurity?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Lot of people were flat out tearing him up, I'd like to see them catch passes with two broken fingers and a sports hernia. I think Coates has potential, if he can get past these injuries I think he can be successful.

FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Too young and too promising to give up on him so soon IMO.

Even if he was healthy all year and still had the down year that he did have, I still wouldn't give up on him.  He could be a solid #3 or #4 receiver (AB, Martavis  Sammie Coates has surgery 1426860608 and Eli/Sammie battling it out for #'s 3 and 4) if he pulls it together.

Size and speed he has....let's hope the surgery he had to fix his fingers also fixes his hands.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Lot of people were flat out tearing him up, I'd like to see them catch passes with two broken fingers and a sports hernia. I think Coates has potential, if he can get past these injuries I think he can be successful.

Lots of guys catch footballs with sports hernia. The broken fingers are tough, but Coates already was not a natural hands catcher when he was drafted, so don't expect him to ever be reliable with hands. He makes Ted Ginn look like Raymond Berry in the way of hands.

Hope he can come back healthy, but I don't think he ever becomes more than a #3 WR with questionable hands.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 18, 2017 6:19 am

If Bryant has it all together I think Eli Rogers is the #3 going in to camp.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 am

Below are the weaknesses of Coates from his draft evaluation. 19% drop rate, Suspect Ball Tracking. Gears down on deep routes turning TD's into Overthrows.

Those are all things we have seen and things that are not a function of his injuries. Can only hope he keeps getting better, but I really don't know how you coach up ball tracking other than reps.

Weaknesses Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/sammie-coates?id=2552470
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 am

Hoping for the best with Coats expecting the worst.
Back to top Go down
muncher

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 18, 2017 4:16 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Below are the weaknesses of Coates from his draft evaluation.  19% drop rate, Suspect Ball Tracking.  Gears down on deep routes turning TD's into Overthrows.

Those are all things we have seen and things that are not a function of his injuries.  Can only hope he keeps getting better, but I really don't know how you coach up ball tracking other than reps.  

Weaknesses Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/sammie-coates?id=2552470

he is improving tho. he increased his drop rate from 19% to 30% Sammie Coates has surgery 1797695198
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

When all is said and done, you go with him next year and hope for the best.
Let him play and prove his fingers were the reason for his "hands" problem,
OR
he continues to drop passes and he's not in your plans going forward.  Sammie Coates has surgery 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 8:14 am

P-G dropped this line in an article on the Steelers wide receivers for 2017

Coates was dogged by injuries to his finger and groin and could be facing knee surgery.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/02/18/Steelers-wide-receivers-antonio-brown-martavis-bryant-markus-wheaton/stories/201702180135

First time I had read about the possible knee surgery being another issue
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Get well soon Sammy!

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 pm

solardave wrote:

Eli Rogers will be our slot guy, Bryant and Brown will lock it down on the outside and Coates will come in for those 4 and 5 WR sets or to spell guys like Brown, or Bryant when someone needs a breather.

If everyone can be healthy going into next season we'll have a lot of weapons at our disposal and the offense should be much better than it was this past season.

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyMon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Eli Rogers will be our slot guy, Bryant and Brown will lock it down on the outside and Coates will come in for those 4 and 5 WR sets or to spell guys like Brown, or Bryant when someone needs a breather.

If everyone can be healthy going into next season we'll have a lot of weapons at our disposal and the offense should be much better than it was this past season.

True, but I have a bad feeling that Bryant will be a disruption and Josh Gordon his way out of the NFL. Coates isn't reliable and the Steelers will look to the draft for another receiving weapon.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyMon Feb 20, 2017 5:52 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

True, but I have a bad feeling that Bryant will be a disruption and Josh Gordon his way out of the NFL.  Coates isn't reliable and the Steelers will look to the draft for another receiving weapon.

Somthing tells me you're right, I wouldn't rely on Bryant either. And I'm not high on Coates either Sammie Coates has surgery 1664291743
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

True, but I have a bad feeling that Bryant will be a disruption and Josh Gordon his way out of the NFL.  Coates isn't reliable and the Steelers will look to the draft for another receiving weapon.

Yeah I kind of have that same gut feeling about Bryant as well. Hopefully he's truly pulled his head out of his ass. I won't be surprised though if he does end up like Josh Gordon. Would be an epic waste of talent because I honestly feel like Bryant could be the next Randy Moss if he gets his act together.

solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 5:29 am

Last report on Coates I heard is that his fingers aren't healing right and that they're no better after surgery.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 8:34 am

solardave wrote:
Last report on Coates I heard is that his fingers aren't healing right and that they're no better after surgery.

that sucks for him and the team.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 am

solardave wrote:

Yeah that's no good, questionable hands to begin with, and now he might be damaged goods. If this is true I don't see him sticking around after his rookie contract is up.

JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 1:27 am

Yeah as really just needs time to heal. As healing can take a long time.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 am

JPPT1974 wrote:
Yeah as really just needs time to heal. As healing can take a long time.

Thankfully we'll have Bryant back (hopefully without any new behavioral issues), and that should take some pressure off of Coates' shoulders.

Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 10:29 am

I'm not so sure Bryant will be coming back to the Steelers...we'll see. I hope so, the kid has so much talent. This catch is one of the best I've ever seen in football:

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sammie Coates has surgery   Sammie Coates has surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

Sammie Coates has surgery
Page 1 of 1