Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home2017 NHL Playoffs Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

2017 NHL Playoffs

Go down 
+2
stlrtruck
IowaSteeler927
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Not sure why it took me so long to get this going, but alas, here we go.

In case you missed the first round of the playoffs here's what went down:
WEST ROUND 1:
Nashville Predators (the last wild card spot) smoked the #1 seeded Chicago Blackhawks 4-0
St Louis Blues downed the Minnesota Wild 4-1
Anaheim Ducks swept the Calgary Flames 4-0
Edmonton Oilers ousted San Jose Sharkes 4-2

EAST ROUND 1:
New York Rangers dropped Montreal Canadiens 4-2
Ottawa Senators took down the Boston Bruins 4-2
WsaCapitals outlasted the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2 (5 of 6 games went in to OT, with one reaching double OT)
Pittsburgh Penguins lower the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-1

ROUND 2 MATCUPS:
WEST:
Nashville Predators vs. St Louis Blues
Anaheim Ducks vs. Edmonton Oilers

EAST:
Washington Capitals vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers vs. Ottawa Senators

Regarding the Caps vs. Pens series, it's not Ovechkin that concerns me. It's the guys on the other lines who have created and taken advantage of their opportunities. Guys like Justin Williams, Marcus Johansson, and TJ Oshie. It's not the same team the Pens beat last year, and they'll need an all out effort every game. Otherwise the Caps will walk away with this one.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION 2017 NHL Playoffs 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyFri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 am

Go Pens!!!! Stole one in DC!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyFri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

After the two goal flurry in the first two minutes of the 2nd period, the Capitals poured on the pressure and you could tell it was only a matter of time before they tied the game. They were relentless and the Penguins seem to be playing 'not to lose' and it damn near cost them the game, if not for the actions of Bonino getting behind the defender and hitting Holtby just in the right spot under his arm and squeezing one in to the back of the net.

I'll take the 'W' and hope the Penguins skate much better Saturday night. If they can take another one in DC, there's hope the series could end in 4. I don't count on it. I see the series going 6, and the Pens winning it on home ice.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 2:19 am

stlrtruck wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

After the two goal flurry in the first two minutes of the 2nd period, the Capitals poured on the pressure and you could tell it was only a matter of time before they tied the game.  They were relentless and the Penguins seem to be playing 'not to lose' and it damn near cost them the game, if not for the actions of Bonino getting behind the defender and hitting Holtby just in the right spot under his arm and squeezing one in to the back of the net.

I'll take the 'W' and hope the Penguins skate much better Saturday night.  If they can take another one in DC, there's hope the series could end in 4.  I don't count on it.  I see the series going 6, and the Pens winning it on home ice.

Yeah the Caps aren't going to go down without a fight, but if the Pens really wanted to make a statement to the rest of the league, putting away the Caps in four games would surely do just that.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyMon May 01, 2017 8:07 am

From a Capitals team perspective, how do you reward your fans after dominating the first 30 minutes of Game 2. You lose it - terribly. In Game 2, the Caps certainly outplayed the Pens in the first period and for most of the 2nd. Then something strange happened, the Penguins after weathering the storm, seemed to start gliding over the ice, the passes were smoother, and the skating more efficient. All of a sudden the pucks were in the net, Holtby was on the bench, and the Penguins head home with 2-0 lead.

Iowa, I agree that if the Pens can eliminate the Caps in 4 games it would certainly send a message. However, I don't think that's going to happen. It would be great, but I anticipate the Caps winning at least one in Pittsburgh - probably Game 4.

The Penguins need to come out with the intensity the Capitals came out with Game 2, and not rely so heavily on Fleury to keep them in the game. My expectation is the Capitals come out in Game 3 with the type of emotion they had in Game 4 (it might have been Game 5) against the Maple Leafs.

Needless to say, sweeping won't be easy, but it certainly is possible after crushing them on their ice.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyTue May 02, 2017 4:47 am

Should of won Game 3. Proud that the team came back and tied that game though under the adversity of their captain being out and injured. Just hoping that Sid is OK and will be back for Game 4. We're going to need him. Need to win Game 4 and take back the momentum.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyTue May 02, 2017 9:07 am

I don't foresee Crosby being active for Game 4. Early reports don't look promising.

However, my expectations for Game 4 is a level of physicality to out match the Capitals and for the 3rd and 4th lines to up their play. I look for these lines to produce some pressure on Holtby and putting biscuits in the basket. Then head back to DC for Game 5, and there, in front of their fans, putting the nail in the coffin.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyWed May 03, 2017 4:49 am

I hope we beat the piss out of them the next two games. They played tough without Crosby and showed some resolve, we're going to need that in Game 4 or the Capitals are going to tie the series.

I think Ovechkin got off easy for slashing Crosby two-handed with his stick. Going back and watching that mess over and over Ovechkin was really the dirtbag in the situation from what I saw. At first glance I wanted to point the finger as Niskanen but his contact looked incidental. Ovechkin started that by swinging his stick, and then tripping Crosby up with his skate.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyWed May 03, 2017 11:48 am

I want to beat the piss out of them too, but it has to be done within the rules of the game. The best way to exact revenge for the injury to Crosby is to oust them from the playoffs.

Tonight, the Pens need to be more physical and make the Caps think twice about touching the puck in open ice.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyThu May 04, 2017 4:40 pm

The Pens pulled out a great victory last night.

However, the Capitals were still more physical than that Pens. The Pens need to ramp up their physicality level (within the rules).

The refs did their best get control of the series, especially after the game 3 shenigans.

Here's what needs to happen Saturday night (as I'm camping and will be unable to watch the game or get highlights until Sunday):
1. Be physical
2. Be aggressive with the shooting
3. Get people in front of Holtby
4. Forget retaliating in any aspect, the greatest retaliation comes in the form of scoring goals and sending the Caps home
5. Protect Fleury, we can't expect him to be Superman every game

Although I predicted the Pens in 6, it would be great to win the series on their ice in front of their fans and really stick it to them.

LET'S GO PENS!
DEFEND THE CUP!

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyFri May 05, 2017 6:47 am

This series has been intense. There are long chunks where I am just sitting there holding my breath while the Caps are putting shot after shot at Fleury and he keeps coming up with amazing saves. Usually we are the team that is out-shooting the other team, but in this series, we are getting out-shot by a huge margin.

I can't help but be fearful that the Playoff Fleury of the past is going to show back up. I certainly hope not. Maybe sitting behind Murray in last year's playoffs and most of this season has knocked that out of Fleury.

That said, I would love to end the series in game 5 in front of the Caps home crowd.

I was hoping that the Senators would beat the Rangers, but the Rangers have tied up the series and seem to have the momentum now.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyFri May 05, 2017 9:32 am

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-black-aces/c-289282614

Quote :
'Black Aces' is a hockey term referring to players added to an NHL club's roster once the minor-league season ends. These players practice with the team and are eligible to play for the Penguins in the playoffs.

I like it. Especially with the Crosby situation day-to-day, having these guys now available could spark some better play from others. Hell, one of these guys could be lightning in the bottle for the Pens at some point.

I was hoping the Senators would win too, but now that I think about it, if the Sens & Rangers can make it a 7 game series, that's a benefit for the Pens.

In the losers bracket:
Nashville leads St Louis: 3-1
Oilers and ducks tied: 2-2

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyFri May 05, 2017 12:54 pm

In the category of it just keeps getting better, Crosby and Sheary were on the ice this morning in full uniform.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/crosby-sheary-return-to-practice/c-289285014

Quote :
Crosby didn't rule out playing in Game 5 Saturday night at Washington's Verizon Center with his Pens holding a 3-1 series lead.

"We'll see," Crosby said. "I don't want to rule it out. It's not really up to me. You just relay how you feel and direct it from there.

Crosby, who skated on Wednesday and Thursday on his own, participated in full contact and skated on a line with his usual linemates Jake Guentzel and Patric Hornqvist.

"It was good to get out there," Crosby said. "It was good to be out there with the guys. I feel good. Right now I'm just following what I'm told to do.'

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyFri May 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Again. living where I do, the hatred I receive for being a Pittsburgh fan shows no ceiling. Not that I give a shit, but it's comical how I get unfriended during playoff season regardless of the sport, only to be re-friended weeks later. Anyway, enough with the "who gives a shit" personal diatribe, Pens are looking like a well oiled unit, even without their most prolific offensive leader...let's close them out tomorrow night so I can lose some more "friends".

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyMon May 08, 2017 9:16 am

Drizztbob wrote:
Again. living where I do, the hatred I receive for being a Pittsburgh fan shows no ceiling.  Not that I give a shit, but it's comical how I get unfriended during playoff season regardless of the sport, only to be re-friended weeks later.  Anyway, enough with the "who gives a shit" personal diatribe, Pens are looking like a well oiled unit, even without their most prolific offensive leader...let's close them out tomorrow night so I can lose some more "friends".

I know the feeling, especially being from just outside the DC area, and even now living in the Tampa area. Fortunately, I haven't had any friends un-friend me, but they certainly have been all over the trash talk after the Caps have won their two games. Unfortunately, the Pens couldn't get it done on the Caps home ice, but I believe they're ready to end it tonight at home.

Like Phil Collins' says, "Tonight's the night"

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyMon May 08, 2017 9:20 am

Let's bring it home tonight...

jak341

jak341

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyMon May 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Penguins are in deep deep doo doo.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyTue May 09, 2017 6:33 am

Penguins are choking bad and with how bad they are playing and getting out played, I don't see them winning game 7. The Caps have all of the momentum right now. We need to score a couple early goals and get inside of Holtby's head if we want to have a chance at winning game 7. Their crowd is going to be electric though. So we have to shut them up early.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyTue May 09, 2017 8:51 am

Lokki wrote:
Penguins are choking bad and with how bad they are playing and getting out played, I don't see them winning game 7.  The Caps have all of the momentum right now.  We need to score a couple early goals and get inside of Holtby's head if we want to have a chance at winning game 7.  Their crowd is going to be electric though.  So we have to shut them up early.

The Pens had zero emotion last night, no energy, no enthusiasm, no physicality, and no desire to shoot the freakin' puck.

If they don't pull their collective heads out of their collective arses, Game 7 will look worse than Game 6.

I believe this team can beat the Caps, but the way they've been skating the last 4 periods, hope is but a fleeting sparkle.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyTue May 09, 2017 8:51 am

In other playoff news:
Nashville Predators destroyed the St Louis Blues
Oilers broke even with the Ducks
Tonight the Senators have a chance to oust the Rangers

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyTue May 09, 2017 11:16 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
In other playoff news:
Nashville Predators destroyed the St Louis Blues
Oilers broke even with the Ducks
Tonight the Senators have a chance to oust the Rangers

and the Senators won and booted the Rangers out. I hope that we can pull off game 7.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyWed May 10, 2017 10:46 am

They, whoever the hell 'they' are, say it's the best two words in sports - "Game Seven!"

I say bullshit! The best two words in sports - "Penguins Win!"

I hope this team pulls itself together after the last 4 periods of bullshit hockey and play the best game of this playoff season.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyWed May 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Well, they pulled it out. I thought they were dead in the water after yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyWed May 10, 2017 11:23 pm

They definitely played much better tonight. Fleury had another amazing night. Holtby was pretty dang good as well. He kept out a few other sure goals that I thought that we would have.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs EmptyThu May 11, 2017 8:11 am

Last night was the best I've seen the Pens play this playoff season. They had the physicality (not sure Ovi was hit that much the other 6 games total), they had the shots on goal, and they had people crashing the net.

Fleury, while amazing, also got some defensive help this game.

Next up Ottawa Senators. I'll say Pens in 5.

In the losers bracket we've got Predators vs Duck. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the Ducks and the Predators have been amazing during the playoffs. Preds in 6.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2017 NHL Playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs   2017 NHL Playoffs Empty

Back to top Go down

2017 NHL Playoffs
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next