Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRound 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner

Go down 
+3
El-Gonzo Jackson
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
7 posters
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner Empty
PostSubject: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 3:09 am

Was hoping for Desmond King over Cameron Sutton but guessing they selected Sutton more because he can play on the outside. We still need a guy that can play that nickel corner position, and versatility to play safety is a plus. King would fit that role. Might be a bit of a homer, but one can hope right? Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner 1797695198

Anywho CB Cameron Sutton out of Tennessee was our first pick in the 3rd Round. Here's some highlights of his play at Tennessee:

Our second 3rd Rounder (Compensatory) selection was James Conner, RB, out of Pittsburgh. Conner's story is one most of us should be familiar with. If you're not familiar with James Conner I encourage you to read up on this kid. I'm very happy he'll be in Pittsburgh and while I personally would've gone defense again, I am very happy for James Conner that he'll be on our team. Conner and Bell will be a nice combination. Here's some highlights of Conner at Pitt:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 7:31 am

Cameron Sutton imo was drafted as a nickel CB if anybody knows James Conner health it would be the Steelers.

James Conner not a true FB but could be a bigger stronger Rocky Bleier with Bell's running style like Franco could be a killer in the same backfield.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 7:33 am

effyou515 wrote:
Cameron Sutton imo was drafted as a nickel CB if anybody knows James Conner health it would be the Steelers.

James Conner not a true FB but could be a bigger stronger Rocky Bleier with Bell's running style like Franco could be a killer in the same backfield.

Honestly I don't know a ton about Sutton so you're probably an expert on him compared to me! Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner 1797695198

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Honestly I don't know a ton about Sutton so you're probably and expert on him compared to me! Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner 1797695198

not really but the write ups are fluid hips!!! a little under size as slot WRs tend to be a little under size (Patriots*).

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 am

Sutton was voted all American his junior year as a kick returner by Sporting News and broke his ankle his senior season. The kid started a s freshman at Tenn and is a good cover corner, but might not be who the Steelers want in the way of run support.

Basically, they are going with Burns and Cockrell on the outside, will see if Golson is up to the level of 2 years ago and Sutton is more depth as a nickel corner. I was thinking they would go with Damonte Kazee as a nickel corner but they obviously had Sutton ranked higher and his kick return ability is something they can use.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

I rewatched Sutton's combine workout and he is smooth in and out of his cuts. Has good hip turn and changes direction well. Also attacked the ball at highest point in the air and showed good hands.

Teez Tabor was right after him and Tabor looked more clunky than Sutton, with stiff hips and got too high so he wasn't able to transition well. Sutton's 40 time didn't look great, but he looks like a smooth athlete with good hands. I think a good prospect to play slot corner and can play outside with safety help deep. Nice pick IMO. (still wanted a TE)
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 11:54 am

Sutton is probably a first round pick in he came out as a Junior.

He'll battle for the slot CB position day 1.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:

If he was a 1st round prospect as a junior, he probably would have come out. I bet he heard reviews from NFL advisors and he was anywhere from 3rd to higher, so he decided to stay. He doesn't have the long speed to be considered a 1st round pick and is somewhat thin. Not a lot of NFL teams spending a 1st round pick on a slot CB.

Sutton posted better results as a freshman and sophomore. His 1 INT as a junior was a bit of a let down, so likely tried to rebound his senior year before injury.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 pm

This is a cool video on James Connor. Ben Boulware from Clemson says he is the toughest guy he played against in college. Every time he tackled Connor, it hurt.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000779669/Ben-Boulware-on-playing-against-James-Conner-He-s-a-warrior
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

If he was a 1st round prospect as a junior, he probably would have come out.  I bet he heard reviews from NFL advisors and he was anywhere from 3rd to higher, so he decided to stay.  He doesn't have the long speed to be considered a 1st round pick and is somewhat thin.  Not a lot of NFL teams spending a 1st round pick on a slot CB.

Sutton posted better results as a freshman and sophomore.  His 1 INT as a junior was a bit of a let down, so likely tried to rebound his senior year before injury.

I remember him getting a late first-early 2nd grade before returning. Like Desmond King, wanted to finish school.

This was a very deep CB crop. He's a 2nd rounder in most drafts. Smart kid, who plays well in press.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:55 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

If he was a 1st round prospect as a junior, he probably would have come out.  I bet he heard reviews from NFL advisors and he was anywhere from 3rd to higher, so he decided to stay.  He doesn't have the long speed to be considered a 1st round pick and is somewhat thin.  Not a lot of NFL teams spending a 1st round pick on a slot CB.

Sutton posted better results as a freshman and sophomore.  His 1 INT as a junior was a bit of a let down, so likely tried to rebound his senior year before injury.

I remember him getting a late first-early 2nd grade before returning. Like Desmond King, wanted to finish school.

This was a very deep CB crop. He's a 2nd rounder in most drafts. Smart kid, who plays well in press.

OK, but just like Desmond King, all the homers had him as a first rounder, but when the stopwatch and tape measure got out it would be apparent that both are nickel corners and they lacked the speed, size, arm length to be a 1st round pick.

I like the pick of Sutton, but he is a slot corner who even got tried out at Safety in the Senior Bowl week. I think some wonder if he can get bigger and play FS in addition to nickel. Either way, I think we have a nickel CB in Sutton and Golson going forward. I mocked Kazee, but am very pleased with Sutton.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyMon May 01, 2017 8:11 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
This is a cool video on James Connor.  Ben Boulware from Clemson says he is the toughest guy he played against in college.  Every time he tackled Connor, it hurt.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000779669/Ben-Boulware-on-playing-against-James-Conner-He-s-a-warrior

Gotta love Connor. Can't wait to see him on the field.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyThu May 04, 2017 12:02 am

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat May 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Steelers Depot is doing great work.

James Conner Was One Of The Most ‘Explosive’ FBS Runners In 2016

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyTue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Watched some more Senior Bowl practice coverage of Sutton and a couple notables from the coverage.

-Mike Mayock likes him as a football player, but did mention "He is 5'11", 180lbs and has 29" long arms".

-Daniel Jeremiah really likes him as a football player too and thinks he is smart and instinctive. Also flexible as he plays the slot, can play outside and was even being used as a safety in practices. DJ said, I love him in off man where he can read the play and drive on the ball.

-Sutton understands route concepts from what I saw. in one on one drills, the WR stemmed him to the outside, but Sutton read that as being setup for a dig and when the WR cut inside, he undercut the route to break it up. In scrimmage, he was in the slot against OJ Howard and Howard ran a 5 yard out. Sutton sat on the route, made contact at 5 yards and undercut the route. The Cal QB underthrew the pass, which was good as Sutton was underneath the route.

Again, I think it takes time for him to get into a regular rotation, but pretty good stuff from the kid and I think will be a solid addition.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyTue May 09, 2017 5:52 pm

looks to me the Steelers getting better quality DBs now than in the past 15 years or so. imo is the reason Tomlin was made HC.

Cowher was more of a run stuffing front 7 guy.

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyWed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Steelers Depot is doing great work.

James Conner Was One Of The Most ‘Explosive’ FBS Runners In 2016

Reminds me of Barry Foster. Not gonna break off 80 yard home runs, but the first guy will rarely bring him down. And after contact the legs never stop moving. I like his style.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyWed May 17, 2017 8:53 pm

So far the draft they did was really good in. Great things for the Steelers in 2017.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyThu May 18, 2017 9:02 am

JPPT1974 wrote:
So far the draft they did was really good in. Great things for the Steelers in 2017.

Yes, if Ladarius Green comes back healthy it is fine. Otherwise we will still be questioning why they didn't take a TE in a very good draft for TE's. At least we got a rocket scientist at 3rd string QB
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyFri May 19, 2017 1:52 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
JPPT1974 wrote:

Yes, if Ladarius Green comes back healthy it is fine.  Otherwise we will still be questioning why they didn't take a TE in a very good draft for TE's.   At least we got a rocket scientist at 3rd string QB

Well Green is gone, so I'm kind of thinking the same as you, why not take a TE in the draft? I guess they trust James/Grimble to hold it down. I think James and Grimble won't be asked to do as much with guys like Bryant and Schuster back in the mix at receiver.

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptyFri May 19, 2017 10:00 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
JPPT1974 wrote:

Yes, if Ladarius Green comes back healthy it is fine.  Otherwise we will still be questioning why they didn't take a TE in a very good draft for TE's.   At least we got a rocket scientist at 3rd string QB

Well Green is gone, so I'm kind of thinking the same as you, why not take a TE in the draft? I guess they trust James/Grimble to hold it down. I think James and Grimble won't be asked to do as much with guys like Bryant and Schuster back in the mix at receiver.

Yeah, I think a TE just made so much more sense than Dobbs at that point, or even taking a TE instead of Connor and looking for somebody like Perine later on. They must have thought Green was going to be OK to come back. Oh, well...I am on the Gary Barnidge train, so lets see if it has any fuel.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner EmptySat May 20, 2017 2:53 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
JPPT1974 wrote:

Yeah, I think a TE just made so much more sense than Dobbs at that point, or even taking a TE instead of Connor and looking for somebody like Perine later on.  They must have thought Green was going to be OK to come back.  Oh, well...I am on the Gary Barnidge train, so lets see if it has any fuel.

Count me in on that train as well. Barnidge played quite well with some horrible QBs in Cleveland, I'd like to see what that guy could do with Ben throwing the ball to him.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner   Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner Empty

Back to top Go down

Round 3 Cameron Sutton and James Conner
Page 1 of 1