Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJames Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised

Go down 
+4
effyou515
SteelerFreak58
solardave
IowaSteeler927
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised Empty
PostSubject: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Personally I'm not so much into some of these stats that they come up with but interesting that he is leading the league in this one:

James Conner has always been underrated in one aspect or another during his career. He earned a reputation of being a big, bruising back in college, but the truth is that he was less powerful—but more elusive—than was the perception.

That has continued to be the case during his NFL career, now with five starts under his belt for the Pittsburgh Steelers. While he can certainly put a shoulder into a defender, he is far more likely to sidestep or juke you than run through you.

And he has been doing that very, very well so far this year. In fact, according to Pro Football Focus, no player in the entire league has forced as many defenders to miss a tackle attempt against him than has Conner, and he has had no concern for whether that was on a rushing attempt or a reception.

By their numbers, he has already forced 16 missed tackles on 85 rushing attempts. That is the fourth-most forced missed tackles on rushes behind only Kareem Hunt (93 carries), Marshawn Lynch (77), and Melvin Gordon (73), and tied with Christian McCaffery (63).

But he also has another 16 forced missed tackles on just 22 receptions. It helps that he had a bunch of tacklers flying all around him on one long reception in Sunday’s game, but nobody in the NFL has forced as many tacklers to miss on receptions this season so far. Nobody. Not just running backs. Nobody. Odell Beckham, Jr. is second with 13 missed tackles forced on 39 receptions.

Combined, that is 32 missed tackles that Conner has induced over five games, which is an average of 6.4 missed tackles per game. Over a full season, that would be 102 missed tackles. And that would be a first in Pro Football Focus’ numbers, for any player to force over 100 missed tackles in one season. The closest was Lynch, with 90, including 72 on rushes. Le’Veon Bell’s best season was 80. Their data goes back to 2006.

The former Pitt standout’s elusiveness should not be as surprising as it has been for some, as it is also something that he showed in college. He was one of the most explosive running backs in college football for a couple of seasons, and that was thanks in large part to his ability to force tacklers to miss.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/james-conner-much-more-elusive-than-advertised/

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 am

Conner has looked pretty good this season when the blocking has been there for him in the running game. They need to keep it up. The Falcons D-Line is undersized and our O-Line was able to bully them because of it. The o-line has shown they can run block against a quality defense as they did well against the Browns. They need to be more consistent.

As far as the passing, Conner has improved so much in this area compared to last season that he looks like a totally different player to me. Reading the camp notes in the offseason there were a lot of mentionings as to his improvement in this area, and Conner has definitely translated that to the field. Really I don't feel like we've skipped a beat when comparing Conner's pass catching ability to that of Le'Veon Bell's.

I like Conner, I think that he can be just as good as Bell if the O-Line can keep up their run blocking and be more consistent overall. Bell is a more hesistant runner, Conner is more of a guy that one-cuts and hits the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm a fan. I wondered why he didn't get much play last year and it was pointed out that his blocking was suspect and he didn't catch the ball well. He obviously worked on both in the off season because he looks pretty good so far. His game depends on the line opening up holes and he'll take it from there. It's all any RB can hope for. The rest hinges on his ability to make people miss or wish they did. You know. Make a business decision. James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised 3798349058

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 12:46 pm

One other thing. I'd like to see Connor run over Burfict on the way to a TD kinda like Jerome did to Urlacher. If he does something like that we'll be forced to give the man a nickname.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Bell who?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Conner > Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 pm

I got to watch the last 10:00 minutes of the game and it was dang the season is going down the tubes. the drive the Steelers kicked the field goal, the short pass AB caught and ran down the field when he got to the sideline and the bengals DB just through himself low at AB and AB ran out of bounds AB had enough room to turn it up field for the TD instead ran out of bounds was like drama queen move.

Fichtner called a couple of plays at the end of the game that wasn't in Haley's playbook.

the drive the Steelers defense gave up the go ahead TD to the Bengals showed how much the Steelers defense misses Shaziar speed in the middle of the Steelers defense. they had everything covered deep but the Bengals offense took advantage of Williams in the middle if the Steelers defense adjusted to help Williams then the Bengals offense took advantage of CB Burns. just my two cents.

sorry but it would be nice if the this would be moved to the game day thread.

And once again the truth is found

Last edited by effyou515 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 7:58 pm

JUJU is a second round steel.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Conner > Bell.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if/when Bell returns. Conner right now is 3rd in AFC in rushing yards and only 13 yards off the #1 spot. Ben joked post game about it being Conner's last game due to Bell's return

That was an awesome shot when Conner knocked Burfict over in the 3rd quarter.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 4:52 am

My thoughts about the game.

Connor did what I hoped he would. Knock Burfict on his ass while having his second really good game.

Did anyone see the cheap shot Burfict took at AB? He threw a forearm to AB's head but no flag.

Dan Fouts is a bigger douche bag than Collinsworth. Not only is he a moron but he doesn't even try to conceal his contempt for the Steelers. When Kirkpatrick got the holding call in the 4th quarter that was more like a mugging they replayed it and Fouts said, and I quote: "not much of a holding call". The cheap shot from Burfict he said "he got away with one there". I wish they'd put this asshole in the studio like they did with Simms.

T.J. seemed gimpy to me all game. I wonder if he tweaked his knee early on and just stayed in. He kept trying to beat his guy wide like Dupree does. Like he couldn't bend to get inside. James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised 2087824411

In hindsight I wonder why we didn't trade up and get William Jackson III? Burns is not an NFL caliber DB,period. He can't find his ass with both hands.

I said I thought AB would have a good game. I didn't expect it to be like that though. I'm glad it was and really glad we pulled it off.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 am

with Conner running the ball the Steelers o-line can get off the ball and really run block now and seems to help with their pass blocking.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am

solardave wrote:
My thoughts about the game.

Connor did what I hoped he would. Knock Burfict on his ass while having his second really good game.

Did anyone see the cheap shot Burfict took at AB? He threw a forearm to AB's head but no flag.

Dan Fouts is a bigger douche bag than Collinsworth. Not only is he a moron but he doesn't even try to conceal his contempt for the Steelers. When Kirkpatrick got the holding call in the 4th quarter that was more like a mugging they replayed it and Fouts said, and I quote: "not much of a holding call". The cheap shot from Burfict he said "he got away with one there". I wish they'd put this asshole in the studio like they did with Simms.

T.J. seemed gimpy to me all game. I wonder if he tweaked his knee early on and just stayed in. He kept trying to beat his guy wide like Dupree does. Like he couldn't bend to get inside. James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised 2087824411

In hindsight I wonder why we didn't trade up and get William Jackson III? Burns is not an NFL caliber DB,period. He can't find his ass with both hands.

I said I thought AB would have a good game. I didn't expect it to be like that though. I'm glad it was and really glad we pulled it off.

T.J. is actually not having a good season. He had 2 outstanding games, but his 4 other games were pretty meh. He needs to become more consistent.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Conner > Bell.

We'll have to wait. He needs to hold it up for a whole season first and then do it a couple of seasons. League is filled with RB's who had a couple of great games or even a great season and then dissapear. Anyone remember Eddie Lacy? Demarco Murray's outsanding season 3 years ago?

I believe Conner has the talent and the character, but we still have to see if his body's made to do this game after game and year after year.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am

I remember Lacy. A lot of people criticized the Steelers for drafting Bell instead of Lacy. As it turns out, Steelers made the right choice (current issues not withstanding). Lacy is no longer in football.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
I remember Lacy.  A lot of people criticized the Steelers for drafting Bell instead of Lacy.  As it turns out, Steelers made the right choice (current issues not withstanding).  Lacy is no longer in football.  

I like the way you covered yourself with the disclaimer. James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised 2981382511
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 3:13 pm

LOL SD, gotta CYA.

Point is, he was still a good pick, has been hugely productive for us. Green Bay got maybe one good year out of Lacy. It sucks what's going on with Bell now, but can't take away all the good play he's given us.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
LOL SD, gotta CYA.

Point is, he was still a good pick, has been hugely productive for us.  Green Bay got maybe one good year out of Lacy.  It sucks what's going on with Bell now, but can't take away all the good play he's given us.

You're. I think Lacy's problem was as much his weight as anything else. If memory serves he showed up about 40lbs over weight in his second year.

Bell was without a doubt the best choice ( in this case ). Connor has a ways to go to prove himself but I like what I'm seeing.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 am

I mentioned the hit on AB by Burfict. Here is what the team is saying about it.

https://www.steelers.com/news/hit-on-brown-bugs-his-teammates
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 am

Maybe Steelers Nation should be thanking Le'Veon Bell for his decision to stay out of the game for the first part of the season.

Had he come back and played week 1, I don't think we would have been able to see James Conner to his fullest potential. Had he come back and played week 1, I don't think we would have been able to see how great of a steal Conner was in the draft. Had he come back and played week 1, we would have had to wait until next season to see Conner.

But now, Bell has done us a favor. He has proven it's not all him. He has proven there is a way to win without him and to do it with class and without drama.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Maybe Steelers Nation should be thanking Le'Veon Bell for his decision to stay out of the game for the first part of the season.

Had he come back and played week 1, I don't think we would have been able to see James Conner to his fullest potential.  Had he come back and played week 1, I don't think we would have been able to see how great of a steal Conner was in the draft.  Had he come back and played week 1, we would have had to wait until next season to see Conner.

But now, Bell has done us a favor.  He has proven it's not all him.  He has proven there is a way to win without him and to do it with class and without drama.

Damn it man. Now you caused me to do a 180* and be a Bell fan again. James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 am

Great perspective. I'm all in with Conner, He's a true Steeler-type Steeler (my high school English teacher is now rolling over in her grave).

Team guy all the way.

If they hand the keys back to Le'veon - actually, I don't think they can afford to do that. We can't afford to lose 2-3 games in a row while he plays himself back into football shape. He might just have to settle for being James' backup. See how much free agent $$ he gets then.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 12:42 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
Great perspective.  I'm all in with Conner, He's a true Steeler-type Steeler (my high school English teacher is now rolling over in her grave).  

Team guy all the way.

If they hand the keys back to Le'veon - actually, I don't think they can afford to do that.  We can't afford to lose 2-3 games in a row while he plays himself back into football shape.  He might just have to settle for being James' backup.  See how much free agent $$ he gets then.

I agree with you entirely if he even shows up. He didn't yesterday and no news so far today. I think he's dropping a big old turd in his own punch bowl. Maybe he's sulking. Who cares at this point. I think he'll wait until after the trade deadline so he can save himself for the next team.

Actually I hope he sits out the entire year so we can tag him non-exclusive next year but at that point I don't know if anyone would be willing to give up 2 #1s for him. After watching his shit show this year who would risk it?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 1:26 pm

solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Great perspective.  I'm all in with Conner, He's a true Steeler-type Steeler (my high school English teacher is now rolling over in her grave).  

Team guy all the way.

If they hand the keys back to Le'veon - actually, I don't think they can afford to do that.  We can't afford to lose 2-3 games in a row while he plays himself back into football shape.  He might just have to settle for being James' backup.  See how much free agent $$ he gets then.

I agree with you entirely if he even shows up. He didn't yesterday and no news so far today. I think he's dropping a big old turd in his own punch bowl. Maybe he's sulking. Who cares at this point. I think he'll wait until after the trade deadline so he can save himself for the next team.

Actually I hope he sits out the entire year so we can tag him non-exclusive next year but at that point I don't know if anyone would be willing to give up 2 #1s for him. After watching his shit show this year who would risk it?

what I've been thinking the passed week Bell not signing until after the trade deadline, Bell sees Conner doing so good he's lost his leverage for the season. if Bell does sign after the deadline the Steelers could make him inactive on game day for the rest of the season.

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm

effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Team guy all the way.

what I've been thinking the passed week Bell not signing until after the trade deadline, Bell sees Conner doing so good he's lost his leverage for the season. if Bell does sign after the deadline the Steelers could make him inactive on game day for the rest of the season.

I think you're both right, I thought a few weeks ago that he might wait until after the trade deadline, but then there was talk that he'd come in in time for the Cleveland game. I think right now, he wants to screw the Steelers any way he can. He's really screwing himself in the long run though. I also know in saying this that he could hunt me down if he wanted, I live in his hometown, lol.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 6:37 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Team guy all the way.

I think you're both right, I thought a few weeks ago that he might wait until after the trade deadline, but then there was talk that he'd come in in time for the Cleveland game.  I think right now, he wants to screw the Steelers any way he can.  He's really screwing himself in the long run though.  I also know in saying this that he could hunt me down if he wanted, I live in his hometown, lol.

I read today in Ray Fittipaldo's chat that Bell would be subject to a physical and drug test before returning. Given all the rap parties he's been attending I wonder if there might be some issue with him passing the drug end of it. I think his next drug suspension is one year so he'd really screw himself by showing up and failing.

PostSubject: Re: James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised   James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next