Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker

Go down 
+6
Drizztbob
stlrtruck
JPPT1974
El-Gonzo Jackson
solardave
BlackAndGold
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker Empty
PostSubject: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Six NFL seasons have come and gone since the last time the Steelers suited up a player — they actually had two that year — who reached double digits in sacks.

Bud Dupree was 17 years old and a high school senior in Irwinton, Ga., in 2010 when James Harrison (10 1⁄2 sacks) and LaMarr Woodley (10) led a pass rush that helped the Steelers to a berth in the Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

With the Steelers seeking more quarterback pressure this season, Dupree is being counted on heavily to snap that drought and get the Steelers back to the NFL's championship game.

If those expectations sound familiar, it's because Dupree heard them last summer, much like another former first-round draft pick, Jarvis Jones, did in previous years — to no avail.

“I'm all with it,” Dupree said last month during organized team activities. “I like the pressure, but there really isn't any pressure for me. It's expectations. People expect me to be the guy, and they see a lot of good things in me.”

Continue reading here: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12483052-74/steelers-look-at-bud-dupree-as-next-elite-outside-linebacker
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 5:57 am

Health is always an issue and I think we have our fair share of injuries during any season. It would be nice to make it through one with no long term injuries on either side of the ball. If we do that we are loaded for bear.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Dupree has the quickness and power, but needs more improvement of his hands. He often tries to run the arc outside the tackle, but is going too wide because he isn't getting the RT's hands off him like some elite pass rushers. If he can stay healthy and be better with his hands he can be a 10 sack a year guy for sure.

Watt on the other hand seems to use his hands really well and has the motor and quickness, but doesn't appear to have the explosive power that Dupree has. Honestly if they can both be healthy, I think the makings of a pair of good OLB's are there for the future.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Yeah as just need to have that of more improvements. Over on his hands. And how that just need to work with his hands. But does have potential.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 am

I don't want an elite player in one position, I want knowledgable players in every position to make an elite defense.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Dupree has the quickness and power, but needs more improvement of his hands.  He often tries to run the arc outside the tackle, but is going too wide because he isn't getting the RT's hands off him like some elite pass rushers.  If he can stay healthy and be better with his hands he can be a 10 sack a year guy for sure.

Watt on the other hand seems to use his hands really well and has the motor and quickness, but doesn't appear to have the explosive power that Dupree has.  Honestly if they can both be healthy, I think the makings of a pair of good OLB's are there for the future.

I always enjoy your analysis' Gonzo. They seem so detailed, do you do that for a living? I agree with you on Dupree. He showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie season so when we lost him the following with such big expectations, it was a letdown. Let's hope he makes the above improvements, and most of all plays a full season!

I'm definitely looking forward to see what JJ can do later in the year...

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 12:26 am

Drizztbob wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Dupree has the quickness and power, but needs more improvement of his hands.  He often tries to run the arc outside the tackle, but is going too wide because he isn't getting the RT's hands off him like some elite pass rushers.  If he can stay healthy and be better with his hands he can be a 10 sack a year guy for sure.

Watt on the other hand seems to use his hands really well and has the motor and quickness, but doesn't appear to have the explosive power that Dupree has.  Honestly if they can both be healthy, I think the makings of a pair of good OLB's are there for the future.

I always enjoy your analysis' Gonzo.  They seem so detailed, do you do that for a living?  I agree with you on Dupree.  He showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie season so when we lost him the following with such big expectations, it was a letdown.  Let's hope he makes the above improvements, and most of all plays a full season!

I'm definitely looking forward to see what JJ can do later in the year...

Thanks, but no I don't do it for a living. I'm a technique guy in my real world job and am just a football junkie that has played or coached in some way or form for 20-30 years. I cant help young players improve if I cant recognize their strengths and weaknesses and thankfully I have developed an eye for it.

Dupree is big and explosive, but he lets the RT keep his hands on him, which extends the arc. Dupree needs to get a swat of the hands and then dip and rip his shoulder under the OT. Watch Deebo rush guys and when he does that, he keeps his feet moving and often the OT gets his arm hooked and holds. Dupree needs to get right in the phone booth with the OT and then get out.

I played O line and coached it and I can tell you that a guy that runs the arc with little or no contact is somebody I take with technique all day. The guy that uses his hands to pull my hands down at the punch and then rips his pads by me is somebody that makes me more nervous. Charles Harris from Mizzou uses his hands well and I like what TJ Watt does already from his tape. Dupree needs to learn from film, Deebo and Coach Peezy and he can develop a good dip and rip move, convert speed to power and bull rush, then work in a spin. Once we O lineman are afraid of you getting the edge on us, we lean too far and leave open to the inside counter move or bull rush. Its a chess match in cleats. :)
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyFri Jul 14, 2017 2:29 am

3rd season think he'll be a lot stronger this season which will help his hands with 2 years of Steelers coaching technic. hoping he has a injury free season. like T J Watt 2 seasons for him to get his real NFL strength in his 3rd season.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 pm

‘The Sack Whisperer’ Predicts Breakout Year For Dupree If He Develops Signature Moves

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 3, 2018

Will 2018 finally be the breakout season for Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree, the team’s first-round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft? The Steelers apparently think there’s a good chance of that happening as evidenced by them picking up Dupree’s fifth-year option several weeks ago. The Steelers front office, however, aren’t the only ones expecting Dupree to have his best season as a pro as his offseason pass-rush coach, former NFL defensive end Chuck Smith, who is also known as “The Sack Whisperer”, is also expecting the Kentucky product to finally live up to expectations in 2018 as well.

“They took his option and it wouldn’t surprise me if Bud it breaks out and gets 10 [sacks],” Smith said of Dupree during an interview this past week with Pete Prisco of CBS Sports on his podcast.

So why didn’t Dupree have a breakout season in 2017 after working with Smith a year ago? Prisco asked Smith a question very similar to that during the interview and he received a very straight-forward answer.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/the-sack-whisper-predicts-breakout-year-for-dupree-if-he-develops-signature-moves/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyMon Jun 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Dupree can be a great stand up DE who you can drop into coverage on fire zone blitzes.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Bust Dupree
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 7:41 am

Bud Dupree is kind of a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of guy for me. I hope something clicks for him this season, but all he's shown is flashes of promise. He still needs to put it all together, and do it consistently.

I saw he was working out with Von Miller, good guy to learn from and hone his craft.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyTue Aug 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Stock up: Bud Dupree

Dupree managed only one sack against the Packers, but he spent a decent chunk of his evening in the general vicinity of Green Bay’s quarterbacks, generating a handful of hurries and pressures, several of which came while he was matched up with David Bakhtiari, one of the best left tackles in the entire NFL. It’s too early to say how much fruit — if any — Dupree’s switch to left outside linebacker will bear this season, but I think it’s fair to say he’s off to a promising start. He’ll definitely be someone to keep an eye on during Pittsburgh’s next two preseason games.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/8/19/17708622/steelers-stock-report-see-whose-stock-is-rising-and-falling-after-preseason-game-no-2-packers-nfl
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 am

I'd like to see him and Watt have a good year of pressuring the QB. It certainly makes pass coverage a lot easier when there is more pressure on the QB.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker   Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers look at Bud Dupree as next elite outside linebacker
Page 1 of 1