Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says

Go down 
+3
Fire Arians
OX1947
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says Empty
PostSubject: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyWed Sep 13, 2017 12:54 pm

One offensive look the Steelers flashed throughout the season opener Sunday afternoon in Cleveland featured four wide receivers and nobody besides quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the backfield.

It hardly resembled the formations the Steelers used in the second half of 2016 when they won seven games in a row to close out the season and two more in the playoffs.

In addition to starting receivers Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, and slot receiver Eli Rogers, the formation put rookie JuJu Smith-Schuster on the field.

It's something fans should get accustomed to seeing.

“We've got a lot of guys we're able to get on the field,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday morning. “We want to be able to get JuJu on the field, and that's what that does. It's an opportunity to get him on the field and create even more of a mismatch problem.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12730781-74/steelers-will-use-4-receiver-set-more-often-ben-roethlisberger-says

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyWed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 pm

You could see less of Le'Veon Bell in the Steelers passing game

WEB Big Ben vs Browns Ben Roethlisberger delivers a pass Sunday against Cleveland.
Jason Miller/Getty Images

You could see less of Le'Veon Bell in the Steelers passing game
September 13, 2017 11:31 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There were times last season when Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell would not come off the field for the Steelers. He’d play the entire game. He did this against the Bengals late last season and played all but one play in games against the Ravens and Giants. If the coaches wanted to give him a breather, he’d wave them off and remain on the field.

Things might be changing this season. Bell’s usage declined in the first game, and some of it had nothing to do with easing him back into the game after missing training camp. Against the Browns Sunday, the Steelers had designed packages without Bell or any other running back on the field.

The Steelers went empty nine times, with four receivers and a tight end. In years past the coaches wanted Bell on the field because his versatility as a receiver helped the offense. But now it appears they are moving in another direction when they want to play with four receivers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/13/le-veon-bell-fantasy-ben-roethlisberger-steelers-offense-juju-smith-schuster/stories/201709130147

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyWed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm

JuJu looked like DooDoo on Sunday. And I am sure the Steelers are telling everyone exactly what they are going to do this coming week. Very nice of them.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyWed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm

That formation gave AB more 1on1 matchups. I like it, tbh Brown is our most consistent player on offense and I don't have a problem making him the guy
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am

A lot of people are naysaying our performance as if the Browns are this terrible football team. As much as it pains me to say it the Browns deserve credit. This didn't look to me like a bad team. Their defense was swarming and aggressive, which is a hallmark of a Gregg Williams defense. They were very disruptive, even though they didn't get to Ben all that often they took away the run, and they stayed back to try and minimize the home run plays. We never really beat them over the top. Offensively they weren't too shabby either, they gave up a lot of sacks but let's face it, a lot of those were on a rookie QB for holding onto the ball too long instead of getting rid of it. Kizer actually looks really decent, despite getting hit he never seemed to crumple under the pressure. He stood in and made some pretty damned decent throws while being hit and under pressure. He didn't look like a rookie to me. Only his first game, but I think the Browns might have found themselves a decent QB.

The Browns deserve credit. It was also the opening game of the season and we got to go and play those guys in their house all the while we're running with some younger more inexperienced players trying to install new wrinkles in our offense. We were noticeably rusty but it speaks volumes to me that despite being that rusty we still managed to beat a division rival in their house. When Bell, Bryant, McDonald, Smith-Schuster and the rest of those guys get on the same page... Look out. I think a home game is just what the doctor ordered for this weekend against the Vikings.

I would also like to point out that we have lost these kinds of close games against allegedly inferior opponents in the past... Last weekend we won, in spite of a ridiculous amount of penalties, and in spite of losing in regards to time of possession. While it wasn't a pretty win by any means, it showed that this team has resilience and at the end of the day they did just enough to win in spite of some setbacks. I look for them to bounce back this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am

I like the 4 wide with a TE that gives you 5 or 6 blockers to 4 rushers makes it harder for defenses to blitz and make defense play nickel or dime.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
A lot of people are naysaying our performance as if the Browns are this terrible football team. As much as it pains me to say it the Browns deserve credit. This didn't look to me like a bad team. Their defense was swarming and aggressive, which is a hallmark of a Gregg Williams defense. They were very disruptive, even though they didn't get to Ben all that often they took away the run, and they stayed back to try and minimize the home run plays. We never really beat them over the top. Offensively they weren't too shabby either, they gave up a lot of sacks but let's face it, a lot of those were on a rookie QB for holding onto the ball too long instead of getting rid of it. Kizer actually looks really decent, despite getting hit he never seemed to crumple under the pressure. He stood in and made some pretty damned decent throws while being hit and under pressure. He didn't look like a rookie to me. Only his first game, but I think the Browns might have found themselves a decent QB.

The Browns deserve credit. It was also the opening game of the season and we got to go and play those guys in their house all the while we're running with some younger more inexperienced players trying to install new wrinkles in our offense. We were noticeably rusty but it speaks volumes to me that despite being that rusty we still managed to beat a division rival in their house. When Bell, Bryant, McDonald, Smith-Schuster and the rest of those guys get on the same page... Look out. I think a home game is just what the doctor ordered for this weekend against the Vikings.

I would also like to point out that we have lost these kinds of close games against allegedly inferior opponents in the past... Last weekend we won, in spite of a ridiculous amount of penalties, and in spite of losing in regards to time of possession. While it wasn't a pretty win by any means, it showed that this team has resilience and at the end of the day they did just enough to win in spite of some setbacks. I look for them to bounce back this weekend.

I agree with you. It pained me so much to admit it to a few browns fans here in the office.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says EmptyThu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Yup! The Browns are a better team then we have come accustom to playing. They are definitely better coached. Now it will be time for the owner to fire them (the coaches) mid-season and screw it all up and start from scratch! LOL

The Browns players all played during the pre-season like their lives depended on it. Very few sat out the 4 pre-season games so they came into that game in better "football" minded conditioning. I think the majority of our starters had to knock off rust. Its not an excuse but it did effect the game. This week will be a better gauge of how this team will play against a tough Vikings Defense and what looks to be very balanced offense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says   Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers will use 4-receiver set more often, Ben Roethlisberger says
Page 1 of 1