Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeToo early to talk about the draft now? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Too early to talk about the draft now?

Go down 
+4
Hawaii 5-0
effyou515
jak341
Fire Arians
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Too early to talk about the draft now? Empty
PostSubject: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Let's face it, this year's Steeler team just isn't good.

Game 1 we barely win against the Browns, who are the perrenial joke of the NFL. Kizer has proven so far he's just another Browns QB, and that's all he'll ever be. The next Tim Couch, Derek Anderson, etc

Only win where we looked any good, was against a team whose 2 wins came against possibly the 2 teams competing for bottom 3 in the league. They are who we thought they were.

Something about Ben's throwing mechanics are off. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like over the offseason, he totally forgot how to throw a spiral and floats a lot of his passes. I guess no surprise he throws 5 INT's when he finally goes up against a good secondary. He's far from elite status. Elite QB's bounce back from bad performances, and 5 games into the season, we're still waiting for a bounce back game to happen. And now he's questioning whether he has it anymore? He's DONE.

Granted, this team is still good enough to go 9-7 or 10-6 if they go old school and run Bell till the wheels fall off, but of course, probably get bounced out in the wildcard / divisional round. We'll probably make the playoffs still because our division is quite likely the worst in football right now.

Defense's arrow is pointing up, I still believe. However, I'm not buying this 'offense is out of synch' crap any more. It's 5 games into the season, they had more than enough time to iron that crap out. It's quite possible, that Bell and Brown are the only B's that are, killer B's. Martavis Bryant has that big play ability, but he's another mike wallace who will give you the home run hitters, but when you need someone to deliver a clutch play, he's nowhere to be found. Ben was once great, but father time gets everybody in the end.

Idk, I know some good teams drop some games, but getting blown out at home is inexcusable if you're a team with super bowl aspirations. I think the fact of the matter is just, the Steeler team we have now, the offense is greatly overrated and just not that good. We're a middle of the pack team at the moment, and that's being generous.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Let's face it, this year's Steeler team just isn't good.

Game 1 we barely win against the Browns, who are the perrenial joke of the NFL. Kizer has proven so far he's just another Browns QB, and that's all he'll ever be. The next Tim Couch, Derek Anderson, etc

Only win where we looked any good, was against a team whose 2 wins came against possibly the 2 teams competing for bottom 3 in the league. They are who we thought they were.

Something about Ben's throwing mechanics are off. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like over the offseason, he totally forgot how to throw a spiral and floats a lot of his passes. I guess no surprise he throws 5 INT's when he finally goes up against a good secondary. He's far from elite status. Elite QB's bounce back from bad performances, and 5 games into the season, we're still waiting for a bounce back game to happen. And now he's questioning whether he has it anymore? He's DONE.

Granted, this team is still good enough to go 9-7 or 10-6 if they go old school and run Bell till the wheels fall off, but of course, probably get bounced out in the wildcard / divisional round. We'll probably make the playoffs still because our division is quite likely the worst in football right now.

Defense's arrow is pointing up, I still believe. However, I'm not buying this 'offense is out of synch' crap any more. It's 5 games into the season, they had more than enough time to iron that crap out. It's quite possible, that Bell and Brown are the only B's that are, killer B's. Martavis Bryant has that big play ability, but he's another mike wallace who will give you the home run hitters, but when you need someone to deliver a clutch play, he's nowhere to be found. Ben was once great, but father time gets everybody in the end.

Idk, I know some good teams drop some games, but getting blown out at home is inexcusable if you're a team with super bowl aspirations. I think the fact of the matter is just, the Steeler team we have now, the offense is greatly overrated and just not that good. We're a middle of the pack team at the moment, and that's being generous.

Can't disagree with you. I'll keep waiting for the O to show up, but after 5 games, you know exactly what you have. And that is a O that simply stinks, and a D that is looking good.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Jacksonville played the defense that kills Benj the secondary zone keep everything in front of then and takes away Benj's favorite deep throws Benj's greed kills the offense until he changes nothing will change.

let the Steelers gain yards between the 20s because they're an easy stop in the redzone.

some has to do with Haley but Benj calls a lot plays before the snap. imo the Steelers offense needs to try a fast pace dink and dunk offense.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 9:59 pm

it's never too early to talk about the draft.

so who do you guys think we will pick with the 32nd selection in Round 1?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
it's never too early to talk about the draft.

so who do you guys think we will pick with the 32nd selection in Round 1?

I see what you did there. Too early to talk about the draft now? 1797695198

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 am

Steelers pick up free agent Kirk Cousins this offseason then draft duel threat QB Jarrett Stidham Auburn.

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Steelers pick up free agent Kirk Cousins this offseason then draft duel threat QB Jarrett Stidham Auburn.

no way do we pay Kirk Cousins the kind of money he wants to get paid, plus he's not worth it.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 4:32 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

no way do we pay Kirk Cousins the kind of money he wants to get paid, plus he's not worth it.

wouldn't be much of a drop off the way Ben is playing with Cousins I think it's more about he doesn't want to stay with the Redskins.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 am

Landry Jones AKA Bubby Brister AKA Mark Malone AKA Cliff Stout will be our starter until we draft a starter like Kordell Stewart or pick up a one hit wonder Tommy Gunn off of the scrap heap. Too early to talk about the draft now? 2744185472
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 am

There are some good QBs in this upcoming draft class. I think the position needs to be our first priority next season. I like Joshua Allen out of Wyoming, the Steelers had scouts present to look at him for their season opener against Iowa at Kinnick Stadium so I think they might have an interest in him besides just doing their homework.

Oh and it's never too early to talk about the draft! Already had a thread posted for mock drafts and draft discussion for 2018 in the Front Office section.

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t7596-pittsburgh-steelers-2018-draft

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 pm

2018 NFL Draft: 3-round Steelers mock draft

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/13/2018-nfl-draft-3-round-steelers-mock-draft/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/13/2018-nfl-draft-3-round-steelers-mock-draft/

Virginia Tech likes to play man on the outside and stop the run.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 3:09 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Like the DB and WR picks, but I think it'd be a little ridiculous to go NT in the first round. While we've had some issues stopping the run I think a lot of those issues aren't always the fault of the defense. When the offense can't stay on the field, the defense is sucking wind late in games trying to put the team on their backs. I think if the offense would be more consistent, then things would be easier for the defense as well. I think QB is a position that really needs to be addressed early in next year's draft. Jones is not the heir apparent, and Dobbs looks to still be a project. If Ben decides to retire we're going to be in a bad place with Jones and Dobbs as our only options.

effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 10:13 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Like the DB and WR picks, but I think it'd be a little ridiculous to go NT in the first round. While we've had some issues stopping the run I think a lot of those issues aren't always the fault of the defense. When the offense can't stay on the field, the defense is sucking wind late in games trying to put the team on their backs. I think if the offense would be more consistent, then things would be easier for the defense as well. I think QB is a position that really needs to be addressed early in next year's draft. Jones is not the heir apparent, and Dobbs looks to still be a project. If Ben decides to retire we're going to be in a bad place with Jones and Dobbs as our only options.

spending a 1st round pick on a 2 down NT is a bit much.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 am

RB, Nick Chubb, Sr, 5' 10", 228 lbs, he's been a very good RB for Georgia.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 am

effyou515 wrote:

Could be a good option if Bell ends up somewhere else. I've heard rumors Bell might get the franchise tag again, I think if that happens he's going to go into full holdout mode again, and cause a distraction. Should the Steelers part ways with him though, running back will be a huge need.

Me personally I like Akrum Wadley out of Iowa. Not just because he's a Hawkeye. He's a speedy back that can run between the tackles. He's tough, and he's played in the Big Ten against big time defenses and managed to be durable as well. He's also a pretty dynamic pass catcher. Might just be able to help fill the void if Bell somehow isn't a Steeler next season, and Conner could be the bruiser.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Could be a good option if Bell ends up somewhere else. I've heard rumors Bell might get the franchise tag again, I think if that happens he's going to go into full holdout mode again, and cause a distraction. Should the Steelers part ways with him though, running back will be a huge need.

Me personally I like Akrum Wadley out of Iowa. Mainly because he's a Hawkeye. He's a speedy back that can run between the tackles. He's tough, and he's played in the Big Ten against big time defenses and managed to be durable as well. He's also a pretty dynamic pass catcher. Might just be able to help fill the void if Bell somehow isn't a Steeler next season, and Conner could be the bruiser.

I fixed it for ya Too early to talk about the draft now? 1664291743

I wouldn't mind getting Saquon Barkley, but that's going to require a huge trade to get him. I don't see him making it passed the top 5 and let's be honest, Cleveland or NYG are probably going to be gunning for him with the #1 or #2 pick.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Too early to talk about the draft now? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 am

stlrtruck wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Me personally I like Akrum Wadley out of Iowa. Mainly because he's a Hawkeye. He's a speedy back that can run between the tackles. He's tough, and he's played in the Big Ten against big time defenses and managed to be durable as well. He's also a pretty dynamic pass catcher. Might just be able to help fill the void if Bell somehow isn't a Steeler next season, and Conner could be the bruiser.

I wouldn't mind getting Saquon Barkley, but that's going to require a huge trade to get him.  I don't see him making it passed the top 5 and let's be honest, Cleveland or NYG are probably going to be gunning for him with the #1 or #2 pick.

I do want to see one of my favorite Hawks as a Steeler, but Wadley would actually make quite a bit of sense if Bell were to be released. I'm not too far off when it comes to which Hawks will be good in the NFL. I've mentioned and talked up guys like Brandon Scherff in the past, along with the likes of Desmond King, and CJ Beathard. All of which are currently making plays in the NFL.

Saquon Barkley would be awesome, definitely the best running back that will be available. Problem is we'd be mortgaging the draft on a running back. If we were to trade up I'd be more comfortable if it was for a QB. I don't know if Ben is going to retire, but he has looked pretty damn horrible this season so it's time to start thinking about whose going to play when Ben is gone. If that answer is Landry Jones, or Josh Dobbs we're in serious trouble.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

I wouldn't mind getting Saquon Barkley, but that's going to require a huge trade to get him.  I don't see him making it passed the top 5 and let's be honest, Cleveland or NYG are probably going to be gunning for him with the #1 or #2 pick.

I do want to see one of my favorite Hawks as a Steeler, but Wadley would actually make quite a bit of sense if Bell were to be released. I'm not too far off when it comes to which Hawks will be good in the NFL. I've mentioned and talked up guys like Brandon Scherff in the past, along with the likes of Desmond King, and CJ Beathard. All of which are currently making plays in the NFL.

Saquon Barkley would be awesome, definitely the best running back that will be available. Problem is we'd be mortgaging the draft on a running back. If we were to trade up I'd be more comfortable if it was for a QB. I don't know if Ben is going to retire, but he has looked pretty damn horrible this season so it's time to start thinking about whose going to play when Ben is gone. If that answer is Landry Jones, or Josh Dobbs we're in serious trouble.

I don't doubt your knowledge of Iowa (or other colleges) players, I just like giving you a hard time about it.

I agree with you that if we did trade up to get Barkley it would be a huge mortgage. Especially knowing our immediate need is to find someone who can take over for Ben. However, if we're going to do that, then we also need to make sure we secure Bell for another few years.

While I'd love to have Barkley, I'm more concerned we find a viable replacement for Ben. Even if Ben comes back in 2018, we still need someone who can take the reigns quickly should he decide it's over or he goes on the injured list.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 9:00 am

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/19/new-mock-draft-lands-the-steelers-a-quarterback-for-the-future/?ref=yfp

Quote :
Their option at the end of the first round is Washington State signal caller Luke Falk.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too early to talk about the draft now?   Too early to talk about the draft now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too early to talk about the draft now?
Page 1 of 1