Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers Acquire Joe Schobert Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert

Go down 
+5
effyou515
LambertWardSteel
Master_Of_Puppets
Great Randino
jak341
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jak341

jak341

Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert Empty
PostSubject: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Jags fans have a nickname: Slobert.

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 8:57 pm

I Like it.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 11:12 pm

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=34735

doesnt look like their fans are upset about losing him. some are even happy to see him go.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Joe Starkey at Post Gazette likes the deal...

Quote :
Joe Starkey: Steelers find the right guy again — this time in Joe Schobert

It’s one thing to take a chance on injured or aging veterans looking to recapture some of what made them good. Every team does that. The Steelers are doing it with the likes of Trai Turner and Melvin Ingram.

It’s quite another to fill glaring holes, right before or during a season, with quality players in their primes. That doesn’t happen often, but the Steelers seem to have a knack for it.

Inside linebacker Joe Schobert is the latest example, assuming the deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars is finalized. He follows the likes of Joe Haden and Minkah Fitzpatrick on the can’t-believe-they-got-that-guy-at-the-last-second train.

Full article: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2021/08/13/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Joe-Schobert-trade-kevin-colbert-joe-haden-minkah-fitzpatrick-joe-starkey/stories/202108130103

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 5:56 pm

It looks like it's going to be a 2022  6th round pick for him....

Quote :
As the Steelers' preseason tilt against the host Eagles played out on Thursday night, the Pittsburgh front office also pulled off a trade for a former Pro Bowl linebacker.

The Steelers have agreed to a trade with the Jaguars for linebacker Joe Schobert, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. Pittsburgh will send a 2022 sixth-round draft pick to Jacksonville for the veteran, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-trading-jaguars-for-lb-joe-schobert

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 6:35 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
It looks like it's going to be a 2022  6th round pick for him....

Quote :
As the Steelers' preseason tilt against the host Eagles played out on Thursday night, the Pittsburgh front office also pulled off a trade for a former Pro Bowl linebacker.

The Steelers have agreed to a trade with the Jaguars for linebacker Joe Schobert, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. Pittsburgh will send a 2022 sixth-round draft pick to Jacksonville for the veteran, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-trading-jaguars-for-lb-joe-schobert

a contract dump by Jacksonville.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 10:35 am

Price was definitely right. We will have to see what role he will fill: situational LB, competition for Spillane, etc.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 11:57 pm

a James Farrior type of player like with the Jets? Jacksonville says "nope" you're out of here, a contract dump / given up on comes to Pittsburgh and plays the best football of his career.

solardave and LambertWardSteel like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 7:05 am

jak341 wrote:
Price was definitely right. We will have to see what role he will fill: situational LB, competition for Spillane, etc.
for 7.3 million , i doubt he will spend much time on the bench.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 8:39 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
jak341 wrote:

Yeah I bet he's a starter going in. An upgrade over Spillane and Gilbert hasn't dazzled anyone.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 10:15 am

solardave wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
jak341 wrote:

Yeah I bet he's a starter going in. An upgrade over Spillane and Gilbert hasn't dazzled anyone.

just signing the contract made him the starter Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert 1797695198 he might know a little about the steelers defense playing in cleveland a couple of years.

everyone but Bush are back ups at this point.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 8:21 am

reading thru the jagoffs thread on shobert , the consensus is he is not very good against the run. when someone pointed out the 140 tackles, the response was, sure... but they were 6-7 yards past the line , plus they cited the amount of time the defense spent on the field.

a few did give him credit in pass coverage.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 9:25 am

I saw 3.65 million.

Edit: Jags picking up 3.65. Reading is difficult for me.

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
jak341 wrote:
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

So here's a guy that shatters the focus on measurables in the combine. He run just under a 4.8 40, had a 33" vert and a pedestrian 22 bench, which for a middle linebacker places you in the "Meh" range. But he seems to have a nose for the football, either as a tackler or a pass defender. He gets himself in the right place at the right time.

I'm not buying that he's no good in the run game. That's just the result from a smear comment made by a butt-hurt Jag-off (see what I did there?). Schobert has totaled well over 100 tackles per year since he became a starter, which you don't do if you can't play run defense. For a 6th round draft pick and the Jags picking up a share of the tab, I like the move.

solardave and IowaSteeler927 like this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 11:11 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
So here's a guy that shatters the focus on measurables in the combine. He run just under a 4.8 40, had a 33" vert and a pedestrian 22 bench, which for a middle linebacker places you in the "Meh" range. But he seems to have a nose for the football, either as a tackler or a pass defender. He gets himself in the right place at the right time.

I'm not buying that he's no good in the run game.
Quote :
That's just the result from a smear comment made by a butt-hurt Jag-off (see what I did there?).
Schobert has totaled well over 100 tackles per year since he became a starter, which you don't do if you can't play run defense. For a 6th round draft pick and the Jags picking up a share of the tab, I like the move.

I agree with this thinking. When fans of any team feel like they have someone better, feel like a player was less superstar then expected, or maybe just trying to find faults to make losing him not matter, you get the 'butt-hurt' comments. We'll see how he does in Pittsburgh, but I feel like we are better off at ILB than we were a week ago at this time. I am glad they used a 6th to get him.

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 2:29 am

I'm hearing that it's more and more likely that Schobert will replace Devin Bush as the 3-down LB. He will also be wearing the green dot and calling the defensive plays. This will allow Bush to be more of a thumper, a role that should fit him better. It's clear that Bush has some problems in coverage and this way with his explosiveness and speed he can make more plays behind the line of scrimmage. Just not worth trading up for and losing a 2nd and a 3rd rounder in the process. This will be an important year for Bush as the Steelers have 10 months to decide what to do with his 5th year option, especially after they fined him in July for his twitter antics.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 3:23 am

Jags fans don't know what they're losing. This guy has a nose for the football. He's a tackling machine, and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's been a pretty damned good player and I believe he's only 27 years old so he should be right in his prime. This is a contract dump by Jacksonville, Urban Meyer getting rid of a player/contract he didn't want for himself.

Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert Captur11

Schobert's past two seasons stats are very comparable and in most areas better than that of Fred Warner. If anything I'd say Schobert was a lone bright spot in a Jacksonville defense that was gutted the past few years with the departures of guys like Yannick Ngakoue, Jalen Ramsey, and Calais Campbell. Schobert remained productive in a gutted defensive group. I think he's absolutely an upgrade over Spillane who has been disappointing in camp this season, and in the preseason.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
I'm hearing that it's more and more likely that Schobert will replace Devin Bush as the 3-down LB. He will also be wearing the green dot and calling the defensive plays. This will allow Bush to be more of a thumper, a role that should fit him better. It's clear that Bush has some problems in coverage and this way with his explosiveness and speed he can make more plays behind the line of scrimmage. Just not worth trading up for and losing a 2nd and a 3rd rounder in the process. This will be an important year for Bush as the Steelers have 10 months to decide what to do with his 5th year option, especially after they fined him in July for his twitter antics.

I don't think the Steelers are looking for the pass coverage and run thumper combo seen in years past (Farrier & Foote). With Bush's speed and coverage abilities, it would be a waste to use him as a thumper and I'm not certain his body is built for that abuse. Instead, I think the Steelers are looking for both Bush and Schobert to be able to do both stop the run and cover in pass situations. In years past, good offenses were torching the Steelers using mismatches to get the "thumper" in pass coverage. Having two ILBs who can move around in the secondary, blitz, cover backs, TEs and the occasional WR in zone coverage, they will be a better team.

In this article on Trib LIVE, Tim Benz appears to hone in on the idea that the Jags were looking for a run thumper to stick next to Myles Jack and Damien Lewis already fits that bill. Schobert's contract was too much to have him as a backup. Their loss is the Steelers gain.

As for replacing Bush, I don't think that's the significance of the green dot given to Schobert. I might be misunderstanding what the Steelers are trying to do, but I took the dot going to Schobert to mean he is the highly experienced vet who might be better suited to calling the defense (instead of Bush). Now Bush doesn't have to try to think so much and can just go kill. Or maybe they start off like this, but change during the course of the season (when Bush is up to speed). Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert 2087824411

effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 3:46 am

You might be right about having two ILB's who can play in pass coverage. But I still believe that the one who will be wearing the green dot will be the one who will play most 3rd downs. And it's true that Schobert is more experienced, but he's new to this team so he still needs to learn our defense. Bush was calling the plays before his injury and if he isn't anymore, I see that as a knock on him.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert   Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers Acquire Joe Schobert
Page 1 of 1