Steelers Xtreme Forum

Homenobody talkin about our new big guy ? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

nobody talkin about our new big guy ?

Go down 
+3
SteelerFreak58
IowaSteeler927
Master_Of_Puppets
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

nobody talkin about our new big guy ? Empty
PostSubject: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 2:48 pm

the guy was a beast in college in 2017. the steelers even took him out to dinner before the draft. he is no casey hampton as far as being unmovable  but he could be as good or better than  tyson and definitely has a higher ceiling than buggs or davis. comparable to hargrave.  dude is explosive and moves very well for a big guy 6-6 303 lbs and has a good motor. it was a good get....FOR FREE !!  nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 184121345 only 26 years old. THE PACKERS took him one spot before the steelers took cam sutton in the 3rd.
the steelers should go ahead and get him under a multi year contract for cheap while they can.

watch this play against the ravens.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 5:06 pm

Now if we could just get Tuitt back, this defense would be downright scary again.

Master_Of_Puppets and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 pm

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 6:34 pm

I thought he set an excellent tone when he was in the game a true middle guy that can stuff the run and eat up space.

I also thought Leglue had an awesome game at LG and was outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 7:37 pm

A couple of very promising guys.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 3:25 am

I wasn't able to watch the second half but it looks to me like Christmas came early. Both of them showed they can play. Adams knocked a pass down too. To early to anoint them as starters but I like what they bring.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 5:10 am

Adams, Leglue and Witherspoon all had a great game! Let's hope they can confirm this in the upcoming games so we have some less holes in our roster for next season.

Master_Of_Puppets, solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 5:32 am

Also, honorable mention to Benny Snell this game. 2 big carries on our final drive for 6 and 8 yards setting up the TD.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
Adams, Leglue and Witherspoon all had a great game! Let's hope they can confirm this in the upcoming games so we have some less holes in our roster for next season.
of course it was only one game, but if these guys continue to play well and become legit starters , what does that say about them being inactive instead of the active roster ?
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it. the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots* released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
of course it was only one game, but if these guys continue to play well  and become legit starters , what does that say about them being inactive instead of the active roster ?
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it.  the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots** released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.

IDK, I see it as these three guys had their chance and they made the most of it. Witherspoon probably had to learn how the Steelers want a CB to play, Leglue was a little known guy at the bottom of a pile of more experienced linemen, and Adams (to your point) was the new guy. Hate to pull this out, but James Harrison had to get his chance after a shit-ton of hard work (and several cuts).
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2021 8:51 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
of course it was only one game, but if these guys continue to play well  and become legit starters , what does that say about them being inactive instead of the active roster ?
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it.  the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots*********** released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.

IDK, I see it as these three guys had their chance and they made the most of it. Witherspoon probably had to learn how the Steelers want a CB to play, Leglue was a little known guy at the bottom of a pile of more experienced linemen, and Adams (to your point) was the new guy. Hate to pull this out, but James Harrison had to get his chance after a shit-ton of hard work (and several cuts).
well here is butlers explanation on witherspoon. what does he mean by "urgency". does that mean he is a slacker in practice ? slacker was one of my high school coaches favorite word to use if you werent meeting his expectations  nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 1797695198
i just cant imagine a practice squad player not giving a maximum effort at practice. unlike drafted guys im sure they dont feel a sense of entitlement or felt like "they have arrived". they can be on a roster one day and at the unemployment office the next. their career and bank account  is dependent  catching the coaches eye. they gots ta make hey while the sun shines  nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 1797695198

Quote :
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler knew Ahkello Witherspoon was ready to play but wasn't sure his mindset was before Week 13 against the Baltimore Ravens.

What switched? Butler said Witherspoon finally found the sense of urgency that he needed to compete as the Steelers cornerback.

"This kid is a big, tall, lanky kid that is a corner," Butler said. "Anybody who has got that height who can play corner in this league is always a good advantage.

"Why do people overlook him? He probably hadn't been urgent enough as he should. He's starting to get that now. You got to be able to play with that sense of urgency when you're playing corner in this league because guys can run by you. The good thing about trying to run by a big, tall kid is he's long and it's hard to throw over."

Witherspoon stepped up in his first start with the Steelers, recording five tackles and a pass break up in the team's win. His impact made noise, and he's been a hot topic since. Not just because of his Week 13 play, but that he was inactive for all but four games this season.

"He's a smart guy. It didn't take him long to learn the defense," Butler said. "But playing with a sense of urgency does matter. We put him out there and he played well."

With Joe Haden unlikely to play against the Minnesota Vikings, the Steelers are hoping Witherspoon keeps that sense of urgency.

what was holding james harrison back was between his ears. his attitude.  if you look at his college pictures he was built like a brick shithouse back then too.

Quote :
Harrison spent two years on and off the practice squad for the Steelers, being released three times, and also was briefly on the active roster towards the end of the 2002 season, playing only special teams. Teammate and fellow linebacker, James Farrior, later told NFL Network that Harrison was so green early on in his career that he would simply "give up" on plays on which he was struggling and even would ask the coaches not to play him when he was struggling. Farrior said, "He was a knucklehead that didn't know the plays. We'd be in practice, in training camp, and he might not know what he was doing so he'd just stop and throw his hands up and tell (the coaches) to get him out of there. We thought the guy was crazy."
After being cut for a fourth time, Harrison considered not playing anymore. Shortly thereafter, he was signed a fourth time by the Steelers during training camp in 2004 after Clark Haggans sustained an injury in an offseason weightlifting accident. Showing much improvement, Harrison made the final roster and remained with the Steelers through the 2012 season. Harrison later told the Beaver County Times that if not for Haggans's injury, he planned to retire from football at age 26 to focus on becoming a veterinarian,
nobody talkin about our new big guy ? James10

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 2:40 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it.  the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots** released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I guess Jordan Davis will be long gone before we're on the clock.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 3:48 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it.  the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots*** released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I guess Jordan Davis will be long gone before we're on the clock.

Hey don't sell us short Stella.  nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 1797695198 Just because we beat the Ravens doesn't mean we won't lose every last remaining game in which case Davis may be there at 9 or 10. This year's team reminds me of this:

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 4:31 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it.  the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots****** released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.

not necessarily. his QB sack resume is lacking. teams might not wanna invest a 1st in a 25-30 snap a game run stuffer.  even the steelers havent since hampton in 2001. nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 2087824411
some people think he will last till the 2nd but most have him going from 15-20
me personally i dont think the 3-4 is nearly as effective without a stout NT. No forcing an offense to use 2 blockers for one guy goes a long way towards helping the front 7. especially if the OLINE has trouble blocking one guy with 2. nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 469886443
hopefully this shitty run defense will make tomlin see the light.

what better way to whip the interior oline into shape than having them battle this monster in practice everyday ?
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 5:22 am

I'm just going out from the draft prospect rankings that he won't be there. Walterfootball has listed him at #5, the draftnetwork at #9. Pickett is the first QB in both btw, #8 and #20 respectively.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 10:25 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
yes adams was plucked off the saints teams PS 2 weeks after being put on it.  the steelers did pursue him when the Patriots******* released him in august, but he chose to sign with the saints. so kudos to tomlin for not giving up. i strongly believe he is an instant upgrade over buggs and davis. i still think they should pursue a true run stuffing NT to add to the rotation. adams isnt really a true 3-4 NT like hampton was. draft jordan davis and get tuitt back and the Dline would be stout and complete with solid backups in adams, loudermilk and worms.

not necessarily. his QB sack resume is lacking. teams might not wanna invest a 1st in a 25-30 snap a game run stuffer.  even the steelers havent since hampton in 2001. nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 2087824411
some people think he will last till the 2nd but most have him going from 15-20
me personally i dont think the 3-4 is nearly as effective without a stout NT. No forcing an offense to use 2 blockers for one guy goes a long way towards helping the front 7. especially if the OLINE has trouble blocking one guy with 2. nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 469886443
hopefully this shitty run defense will make tomlin see the light.

what better way to whip the interior oline into shape than having them battle this monster in practice everyday ?

This is a great topic. To NT or not to NT, that is the question. A few years back I was against the idea of the Steelers spending high draft picks for a NT simply because they ran their base 3-4 less than 1/3 of the time. Why spend a high draft pick when they only deployed 2 or less down linemen on a majority of their plays? They spent a 3rd on Hargrave (awesome pick by the way) and made it successful because he adapted to playing the Steelers version of DE on occassion. To understand what that version of DE is, just look at the build of Heyward (6'5' 295 lbs), Wormley (6'5" 300 lbs), Tuitt (6'6" 303 lbs), and Loudermilk (6'7" 293 lbs). Alualu is a bit of an exception at 6'3" 304 lbs. Although Hargrave was built more like the DTs currently listed on the Steelers roster (6'2" 305 lbs), his speed and footwork helped him make up for the lack of length. They wanted 3 guys who could play any of the d-line positions. Although they didn't put Heyward in the NT spot often prior to this season, Tuitt could play that position, and Alualu was a big surprise on how well he played NT.

Jordan Davis has the length for a Steelers DE build (6'6"). I got to see him in HS since he came out of Charlotte. He played for the bullies of NC and was one of the top rated kid coming from NC. He's a fabulous athlete, not just a big strong kid. The only concern I have regarding Davis is hearing the reports that Georgia had to tell him to drop weight when he was tipping the scales at over 385 lbs. There's no way he's under 350 lbs today. But maybe we don't care? Although at 385 lbs he isn't going to move as well and that would seem to hamper the Steelers desire to place him at DE. And at that weight, he tends to tire more often. Just watch that SEC championship game against Alabama. He was on the sidelines a good bit sucking wind.

Now that you all have a bunch of worthless information, I'll say I'm no longer against the idea of the Steelers selecting a NT in the 1st round. Simply because the NFL is now seeing a trend of running the football more. You don't have to look beyond the AFC North to see teams that are heavy run dominate teams, even Cincy has a strong run game. The Patriots* threw the ball 3 times Monday night. I have to imagine the Steelers will employ 3 down linemen at a higher rate than say 5 years ago. Jordan Davis? I say "Hell Yeah". But if he gets his weight down to 330 lbs by the combine, he'll be gone in the top 5. If not, he'll be gone in the top 10. And if the Steelers happened to snag him, they will need to get him to a weight that will allow him to stay on the field a majority of the plays.

Or maybe Adams didn't have a fluke game and they sign him to a longer contract and look to another position to draft in the 1st round. I'd don't think Adams had a fluke game, his speed off the snap, his strength, and his quick pursuit will cause any opponent problems, not just the Ravens. I'm sure we'll get another look at what he can do tonight. As MoP suggested, why didn't other teams see this before?

nobody talkin about our new big guy ? 30gkqqgd6n901

Master_Of_Puppets, effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 3:59 pm

Vita Vea did go 12th overall  in 2018. similiar player. but Vea did have a better pass rushing resume. as Kirkland points out, it could come down to where his weight is at the combine.

Oct 30, 2021
nobody talkin about our new big guy ? Davis10

adams is the real deal. watch his college highlights i posted above and watch clips of the ravens game. you see the same things. explosive off the ball, quick feet, and a great motor. i predict he is here to stay.
he missed his rookie season with a fractured foot and his last season in GB he had a toe injury.
this guy has some nice clips of the game to use as examples. adams got 34 snaps against the rats.

kirklandrules likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nobody talkin about our new big guy ?   nobody talkin about our new big guy ? Empty

Back to top Go down

nobody talkin about our new big guy ?
Page 1 of 1