Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeReport: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft

Go down 
+4
Wallace108
kirklandrules
IowaSteeler927
effyou515
8 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft Empty
PostSubject: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyMon Jan 10, 2022 2:35 am

https://triblive.com/sports/report-kevin-colbert-will-step-down-as-steelers-gm-after-nfl-draft/

Kevin Colbert’s tenure as Pittsburgh Steelers general manager could be winding down.

NFL Network reported Sunday that Colbert, the long-time general manager who has been in charge of the organization’s football operations since 2000, will retire when his contract expires after the 2022 NFL Draft.

Under Colbert’s watch, the Steelers have won two Super Bowl championships and appeared in three title games. The franchise has not had a losing season since 2003.

Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft 3135543967 where are the Steelers going to find another player personnel guy?

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyMon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 am

effyou515 wrote:
https://triblive.com/sports/report-kevin-colbert-will-step-down-as-steelers-gm-after-nfl-draft/

Kevin Colbert’s tenure as Pittsburgh Steelers general manager could be winding down.

NFL Network reported Sunday that Colbert, the long-time general manager who has been in charge of the organization’s football operations since 2000, will retire when his contract expires after the 2022 NFL Draft.

Under Colbert’s watch, the Steelers have won two Super Bowl championships and appeared in three title games. The franchise has not had a losing season since 2003.

Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft 3135543967 where are the Steelers going to find another player personnel guy?

That's IF he actually retires, which is something that has yet to be 100% confirmed. If he does, then I see the Rooney's hiring from in-house. They'll obviously interview a minority from the outside as is required, but I think they'd definitely promote from within. I think Omar Khan would be the most likely candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyMon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

That's IF he actually retires, which is something that has yet to be 100% confirmed. If he does, then I see the Rooney's hiring from in-house. They'll obviously interview a minority from the outside as is required, but I think they'd definitely promote from within. I think Omar Khan would be the most likely candidate.

Agree with Iowa ... Colbert hasn't stated he is stepping down. I think in part this is coming up from a prior statement he made that he would stay on while Ben was with the team.

I think there were articles a few years back indicating Khan was next-man-up if/when Colbert retired. Seems when a team needs a GM, Kahn's name is usually in the mix. Of course Mark Madden wrote a year ago that he was told Kahn would not succeed Colbert ... so he's probably a lock to succeed Colbert. I do think Kahn has done a great job managing the salary cap even if I don't like seeing all the restructures that push dollars into future cap years (but that's all part of the game).

Brandon Hunt is also a name that appears on lists for various GM jobs. Another long-standing Steelers front office personnel resource who, if I've got this right, has been involved in college scouting as well as scouting existing NFL talent.

Both of these guys have been around the Steelers for years and seem well respected across the league. If Colbert leaves, hopefully they will be in good hands.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyWed Jan 12, 2022 10:17 am

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyThu Jan 13, 2022 6:07 am

I wouldn't be mad if the Bears took him. We will miss him, but he could be replaced and it would give us a 2022 and 2023 3rd round pick.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 2:37 pm

For some reason I thought Khan had already left us.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 7:06 am

Art Rooney II announces Kevin Colbert's departure as Steelers GM following NFL Draft

Quote :
Team president Art Rooney II confirmed Colbert’s upcoming departure as general manager during a video call with reporters Friday.

” Rooney II said. “We will be conducting a search for a new GM immediately, but we probably won’t make a hire until after the draft.”

https://triblive.com/sports/art-rooney-ii-announces-kevin-colberts-departure-as-steelers-gm-following-nfl-draft/

He brought a lot of good football players through the Steelers org, it was a fun ride.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 5:23 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Art Rooney II announces Kevin Colbert's departure as Steelers GM following NFL Draft

Quote :
Team president Art Rooney II confirmed Colbert’s upcoming departure as general manager during a video call with reporters Friday.

” Rooney II said. “We will be conducting a search for a new GM immediately, but we probably won’t make a hire until after the draft.”

https://triblive.com/sports/art-rooney-ii-announces-kevin-colberts-departure-as-steelers-gm-following-nfl-draft/

He brought a lot of good football players through the Steelers org, it was a fun ride.

He also had a lot of huge misses the last 7 years.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptySun Feb 06, 2022 5:46 pm

Steelers interview Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds to be general manager

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/02/04/steelers-interview-colts-assistant-gm-ed-dodds-general-manager/6666638001/

Quote :
general manager Ed Dodds has interviewed with Pittsburgh for the general manager job that will be left open when longtime general manager Kevin Tolbert steps down after the NFL Draft, the Steelers announced on Friday.

Dodds, widely respected after serving on the staff of Seattle general manager John Schneider and as Ballard’s right-hand man in Indianapolis, has drawn a lot of interest over the past couple of offseasons.

Pittsburgh has interviewed at least five candidates for the job — Dodds, in-house candidates Omar Khan and Brandon Hunt, Titans vice president of player personnel Ryan Cowden and Chargers director of player personnel JoJo Wooden.

Dodds might be a direction they could go. How many draft choices for a Rooney Rule GM?

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 1:59 pm

I think they are doing their due diligence, but I think they are still giving it to Khan.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 4:37 pm

Former Pitt Panther Louis Riddick is in the running to return to Pittsburgh as general manager of the Steelers, Kevin Patra of NFL.com reports.

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 4:49 pm

I don't understand kicking the tires on Riddick. I may have been wrong in my assessment that the job was going to Khan.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Appearance is everything.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 10:01 pm

Kind of ironic if you think about it, that they have to interview a minority candidate (Riddick) before hiring a minority candidate (Khan).
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 4:00 am

They didn't need to interview Riddick because he's a minority candidate. They've already interviewed plenty minority candidates (Hunt, Khan, Jojo Wooden). They did because they see him as a possible hire and he' a logic choice to interview as explained in this article from Steelers Depot from 2 weeks ago.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/get-to-know-the-steelers-internal-gm-candidates-and-two-outside-names-they-should-consider/

I still expect it to be Hunt with Khan maybe getting another role. I like it that Hunt was a pupil of Bill Nunn in 2005.

https://www.renegadeblitz.com/post/brandon-hunt-on-bill-nunn-he-was-able-to-almost-see-the-future-for-so-many-of-us

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 9:27 am

Stella Nation wrote:
They didn't need to interview Riddick because he's a minority candidate. They've already interviewed plenty minority candidates (Hunt, Khan, Jojo Wooden). They did because they see him as a possible hire and he' a logic choice to interview as explained in this article from Steelers Depot from 2 weeks ago.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/get-to-know-the-steelers-internal-gm-candidates-and-two-outside-names-they-should-consider/

I still expect it to be Hunt with Khan maybe getting another role. I like it that Hunt was a pupil of Bill Nunn in 2005.

https://www.renegadeblitz.com/post/brandon-hunt-on-bill-nunn-he-was-able-to-almost-see-the-future-for-so-many-of-us

The article I read said 2 minority candidates from outside the organization have to be interviewed for these openings. Khan and Hunt being inside the organization, didn't count.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 10:19 am

You're right, didn't know that. I thought they just need to interview 2 minority candidates and they would be fine.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 1:19 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
You're right, didn't know that. I thought they just need to interview 2 minority candidates and they would be fine.
I actually didn't know the specifics of the rule at all until I read the article. I was kind of surprised too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft   Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft Empty

Back to top Go down

Report: Kevin Colbert will step down as Steelers GM after NFL Draft
Page 1 of 1