Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLiving up to my nickname Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Living up to my nickname

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Living up to my nickname Empty
PostSubject: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyMon Aug 28, 2023 5:18 pm

Living up to my nickname Receiv12

Some will remember from the SF days that I was dubbed "The Corn Shucking Hippie". Well today I happened to live up to my namesake. Living up to my nickname 3562723908Living up to my nickname 3562723908Living up to my nickname 3562723908

Wallace108 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyMon Aug 28, 2023 6:52 pm

I remember that nickname. Did it come from Buddha Bus?

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 6:11 am

vasteeler wrote:
I remember that nickname. Did it come from Buddha Bus?

I'm pretty sure either Buddha or Galax came up with it, I can't remember off the top of my head lol.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 9:55 am

The whole nickname thing has a long, storied history. Most of the OGs are gone. Some have stopped posting on forums in recent years. Some disappeared long ago and live on only in legend. I try to keep the history alive as best I can. Maybe I should write a book. I'll add that to the long list of things I never get around to doing. Living up to my nickname 1797695198

The giving of nicknames started in Shea's Bored thread at SU. Shea started ignoring user names and making up her own names for people. That's how I got the Wally nickname.

When the Bored thread got nuked, we carried the giving of nicknames over to the Night Owls group at SU, which later became the Halfway House. Every new member who joined the group eventually got a nickname, or a reputation (that's another story).

After the mass bannings at SU, the tradition was carried over to Fever and here at SX. Unfortunately, like many things, it has faded away.

I used to make profiles of all the Halfway House members, including their nicknames, reputations and photos (not their real photos, of course). But when SU nuked the groups, all of that history was lost.

So if nothing else, I'm glad a few of the old nicknames handed out by the OGs live on.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 11:46 am

Wallace108 wrote:
The whole nickname thing has a long, storied history. Most of the OGs are gone. Some have stopped posting on forums in recent years. Some disappeared long ago and live on only in legend. I try to keep the history alive as best I can. Maybe I should write a book. I'll add that to the long list of things I never get around to doing. Living up to my nickname 1797695198

The giving of nicknames started in Shea's Bored thread at SU. Shea started ignoring user names and making up her own names for people. That's how I got the Wally nickname.

When the Bored thread got nuked, we carried the giving of nicknames over to the Night Owls group at SU, which later became the Halfway House. Every new member who joined the group eventually got a nickname, or a reputation (that's another story).

After the mass bannings at SU, the tradition was carried over to Fever and here at SX. Unfortunately, like many things, it has faded away.

I used to make profiles of all the Halfway House members, including their nicknames, reputations and photos (not their real photos, of course). But when SU nuked the groups, all of that history was lost.

So if nothing else, I'm glad a few of the old nicknames handed out by the OGs live on.

Kind of hard to believe how long ago that was.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 1:07 pm

vasteeler wrote:

13 years ago. What's even harder to believe is the time frame of Fever imploding, SU being created, the mass bannings, the return to Fever, Fever going down and prompting the birth of SX. All of that took place in the span of about a year. Felt a lot longer in real time lol.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyThu Aug 31, 2023 2:33 am

I feel old!

tube517
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyThu Aug 31, 2023 7:20 am

Wallace108 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:

13 years ago. What's even harder to believe is the time frame of Fever imploding, SU being created, the mass bannings, the return to Fever, Fever going down and prompting the birth of SX. All of that took place in the span of about a year. Felt a lot longer in real time lol.

What year did Fever first implode?  I remember SU being created in 2010 but Fever had issues before then.  

It's all a haze to me now. My son was born in 2007 and now he's 16 so I am old.   Living up to my nickname 1f602

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyThu Aug 31, 2023 7:37 am

tube517 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:

What year did Fever first implode?  I remember SU being created in 2010 but Fever had issues before then.  

It's all a haze to me now. My son was born in 2007 and now he's 16 so I am old.   Living up to my nickname 1f602

I believe 2015ish

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyThu Aug 31, 2023 10:04 am

tube517 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:

The first implosion, which resulted in the creation of SU, happened in early 2010, March or April, I think.  SU was then created in May 2010. Then the mass bannings happened later in 2010, and those of us who were banned went back to Fever.

I'm trying to remember who all got banned. Maybe MoP remembers.

The first wave was hipchest, MoP, ric, Mom, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. I think Shea, as well, but for a different reason. Then shortly after that, it was me, Buddha and Truck. There were more, but I can't remember who. The entire Braintrust group was executed. Only Mach survived somehow. I hope he still has survivor's guilt. Living up to my nickname 1664291743

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 5:36 pm

I was banned for a while. Then I went back and some how was made a Mod. Then they couldn't ban me because the absenty owner wouldn't give them the keys to the site.

I think it was HTG that unbanned me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 9:16 am

Mach1 wrote:
I was banned for a while. Then I went back and some how was made a Mod. Then they couldn't ban me because the absenty owner wouldn't give them the keys to the site.

I didn't think you were banned. It was a long time ago, so some of the details are fuzzy.

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 9:55 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

I didn't think you were banned. It was a long time ago, so some of the details are fuzzy.

FS76 is who banned me. He seems to have a problem with me and I can't even remember why. It was a long time ago.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 11:15 am

Mach1 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

FS76 is who banned me. He seems to have a problem with me and I can't even remember why. It was a long time ago.

I got permanently banned after making an announcement in the Halfway House group that I was leaving SU and going back to Fever because I was tired of the unequal treatment of members. FS accused me of grandstanding. I strongly denied that. On hindsight, I most certainly was. Living up to my nickname 1664291743

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Living up to my nickname   Living up to my nickname Empty

Back to top Go down

Living up to my nickname
Page 1 of 1