Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense Empty
PostSubject: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:00 am

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Answers, like offense in the second half Sunday at Heinz Field, proved to be elusive in the Steelers' locker room.

Then again, it is hard to explain how an offense that had seemingly hit its stride suddenly went into the fetal position.

"It's frustrating, because my expectations for this offense are so high," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said after the Steelers held off the Jacksonville Jaguars, 17-13.

That frustration is understandable and shared by more than Roethlisberger.

The Steelers' offense is brimming with talented skill players, and it entered 2011 with lofty expectations. Yet six games into the season the unit remains something of a puzzle.

Read more: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762396.html#ixzz1b6f0rw8R
----------------------------------------------

So let the armchair quarterbacking begin. What's the problem? Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 2893009358

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:06 am

They slipped it into neutral instead of keeping it in drive. The thing about it is that once you start to "coast", you can't really just turn it back on offensively (some teams can, this team cannot). If we slipped it into neutral due to being fearful of Ben getting hurt, put Dixon in. There is no harm in getting a 24 to 0 lead then putting Dixon in. Also, put in some of the subs. They will have a fire and passion that the starters may not play with (they won't have the "we already have this game won, why should I bust my balls and risk injury" mentality). If I was the OC or DC of that game, I would have told the offense that soon as the team gets up by 24, we will start working in some of the younger guys and the starters can get a rest.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 am

Dubs, I'm not sure I agree that they slipped into neutral and were coasting. I think the opposite is true ... They were trying to score on practically every play by going deep so much. Our receivers were open deep, but the wind was a factor, according to Ben. Had the wind not been a factor, we probably would have lit Jacksonville up. But the wind WAS a factor, so why keep trying to throw deep? Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 2913999526

Also according to Ben, the Jags were covering all the underneath stuff, and that's why he was throwing deep. I need someone with more Xs and Os knowledge to explain this to me. How is it that J'ville was able to cover all the underneath stuff on every play? And why wasn't Arians able to call plays to free up stuff underneath? In my opinion, I think the reason why the offense struggled is because they got away from what worked against the Titans and what worked on the first drive against the Jags.You can blame Ben or you can blame Arians, but I think that's what the problem is.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:41 am

There are a couple ways to cover "the underneath stuff". Either you have 1. A CB play a zone in where he is only responsible for the first 10 yards and then it's the safety's responsibility or 2. you have a LB that plays that zone. Typically, option number 1 is a better option since the CB is in better position to guard the first 10 yards, and then they are able to have 2 safeties over top:
Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense Cover%202

Now, if a team plays man to man, things get a little more difficult. The players are not responsible for a set amount of yardage, they are responsible for a man. This is when DB's backs can get turned and LBs can lose sight of RB assignments.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:49 am

No, I was asking how is it possible that J'ville's D coordinator was successfully able to shut down all of our underneath routes? Why wasn't Arians able to call plays to free guys up? I was politely trying to say that Arians was outcoached. Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 1797695198

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 2:04 am

Well the problem with that is that the OC can't audible for what defense they see on the field. Each play has a first read, second read, and third read. If the defense plays bump and run on the first read, the routes timing is going to be off. However, if they play bump and run on the 3rd read, and it's a fade to Wallace, there is a 90% chance that it will go for a TD (because the DB will be a couple steps behind Wallace after he sheds the bump). The way to beat a team that is covering the underneath stuff is to go deep. As you can see, there are 4 to 5 guys covering an area of 15 yards and 2 guys covering the rest of the field. Generally, those 2 guys will have to guard 2 or 3 receivers that are running full speed when they are in a back pedal.

The problem is, a team may play zone but have one man that plays Wallace 1:1. Then you are left with either trying to throw it in a window in the zone or hoping one of the other guys can get behind the defense.

In a zone, the field REALLY opens up after 20 yards, everything else is trying to find a spot to "sit" in the zone.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 pm

I kind of agree with Dubs that the offense went in to neutral during the second half and almost acted as if they had the game in the back. Then after the roughing the punter call, it seemed the bounce of the ball went J-ville's way.

Defense started to lose focus, and lacked discipline in key 3rd down situations.
Offense took the foot off the throttle and instead of taking what was given underneath, went for the long ball too many times in the second half. It seems the no huddle, and the dink-dunk rules do not exist for our offense.

Wally, I do agree that Arians was out coached in the second half. Tell me how, yet again, our offense can not make key adjustments in the second half once they realize the other team has made their key adjustments.

With the patriots* coming to town in two weeks, this team can not continue to play halfsies football and think it's going to get the job done. Such thinking by players and/or coaches will get us slaughtered by the cheaters! And as much as I hate belicheat, marsha, and the patriots*, they are the best in the game at making adjustments on the fly!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 1:39 am

stlrtruck wrote:
I kind of agree with Dubs that the offense went in to neutral during the second half and almost acted as if they had the game in the back.
I'm not sure I get what you guys are saying. When I think of a team taking it's foot off the pedal, or going into neutral ... or whatever ... because they think the game is over, I think of a team that sits on the ball and doesn't really try to score. That's not what I saw. I saw them chucking the ball deep on almost every possession in the second half. They were trying to score; they just couldn't. I think it was poor play calling and execution. I didn't get the sense that they thought the game was over at halftime and they weren't trying. If they were just "coasting" or "in neutral," why were they throwing deep? Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 2087824411

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 am

Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
I kind of agree with Dubs that the offense went in to neutral during the second half and almost acted as if they had the game in the back.
I'm not sure I get what you guys are saying. When I think of a team taking it's foot off the pedal, or going into neutral ... or whatever ... because they think the game is over, I think of a team that sits on the ball and doesn't really try to score. That's not what I saw. I saw them chucking the ball deep on almost every possession in the second half. They were trying to score; they just couldn't. I think it was poor play calling and execution. I didn't get the sense that they thought the game was over at halftime and they weren't trying. If they were just "coasting" or "in neutral," why were they throwing deep? Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 2087824411

What I mean is they went away from what was working, and instead of being aggressive, they just sat back and didn't seem as 'motivated' to move the ball down field and when they couldn't run they would try a bomb instead of just looking at first downs.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 12:34 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

What I mean is they went away from what was working, and instead of being aggressive, they just sat back and didn't seem as 'motivated' to move the ball down field and when they couldn't run they would try a bomb instead of just looking at first downs.
I agree that they went away from what was working. Study Bruce Arians even in his Cleveland days ... that's what he does. If something is working, he stops doing it. Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 294855916

But I disagree that they weren't being aggressive. They threw the ball deep on every possession in the second half. How is that not being aggressive or trying to move the ball downfield?

If you want to leave it at they got away from what was working, I'll agree with that. But I don't agree that they thought the game was over at halftime and they took their foot off the pedal. If that was the case, they wouldn't have been throwing to the end zone so much. If they took their foot off the pedal, they would have been running the ball and trying to kill the clock.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 am

Wallace108 wrote:
But I disagree that they weren't being aggressive. They threw the ball deep on every possession in the second half. How is that not being aggressive or trying to move the ball downfield?

If you want to leave it at they got away from what was working, I'll agree with that. But I don't agree that they thought the game was over at halftime and they took their foot off the pedal. If that was the case, they wouldn't have been throwing to the end zone so much. If they took their foot off the pedal, they would have been running the ball and trying to kill the clock.

When you go run-run-deep pass every time you have the ball, it's easy to defend and they used the deep pass as a means to make up ground they were losing by playing in neutral. Had they kept the throttle down, they could have used a lot more short gains and moved the ball with the same efficiency..instead it appeared as if they thought the game was in the bag and went back to run-run-oh crap we need the long ball incompletion-punt

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
blastfurness
Xtreme Newb
blastfurness

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Great info by all yens but our line stinks and we can not run the air out of the game like we used to. instead of I hate B/A lets take vote about how pathetic C/K and lets vote him off the island.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:23 pm

blastfurness wrote:
Great info by all yens but our line stinks and we can not run the air out of the game like we used to. instead of I hate B/A lets take vote about how pathetic C/K and lets vote him off the island.
C/K? Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 2829330259

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Arians told everybody it would happen remember

"everything is back to normal" Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense   Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers are perplexed by hit-or-miss offense
Page 1 of 1