Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTomlin steers Steelers through tough times Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times Empty
PostSubject: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times   Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 am

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Mike Tomlin has had to make some tough calls this season. The Steelers fifth-year coach shifts personnel like pieces on a chess board, knowingly making moves that could easily alter the delicate balance of a team with an evolving identity.

Traditionally, the Steelers are a run-oriented team. But injuries to the offensive line necessitated a tweak in philosophy. Like most NFL teams, the Steelers rely heavily on their speed at the flanks.

Predictably, their success has mostly depended on a veteran defense - albeit alarmingly inconsistent this season compared to its record-setting performance in 2010.

Baltimore's Joe Flacco looked like Joe Montana in marching the Ravens 92 yards to saddle the Steelers with a 23-20 defeat after winning four straight games. Then, a week later, cornerback William Gay sealed a 24-17 victory in Cincinnati with a rare interception that hoisted the Steelers atop the AFC North.

Amid the ebbs and flows, Tomlin appears calm and resolute. Yet, he is hardly satisfied with the team's 7-3 record - including a 1-2 start against division opponents.

"I'll take it," Tomlin said after the Steelers beat the Bengals. "I wouldn't necessarily say I'm pleased. I'd be pleased if we were 10-0, but we're not. We are what we are."

Read more: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_768297.html#ixzz1eDm5bFaL
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are what we are." Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times 1664291743

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times   Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 am

That comment isn't cutting it anymore.

It was pretty cool when he first started as a coach, but now he's got to bring more to the table. He's been doing a great job with the limited number of substitutes to put on the O-line, but it's time to put a fire under some of these player's arses.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times   Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 am

I thought the comment was funny. But in all honesty, It reminded me of something Belichick would say.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times   Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 am

Hey, the guy is realistic. I won't criticize Tomlin as he's done a hell of a job. He had some big shoes to fill and I don't think too many fans have been asking to have Cowher back (not to discredit anything he did as a coach for the team).

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times   Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:09 am

As long as the Steelers can keep drafting quality players and are able to coach up these players everything will fall into place.

It's going to be interesting in these next couple of years as the Steelers retire the old players we all know that help the Steelers win a lot of ball games and bring in the younger players.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times   Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomlin steers Steelers through tough times
Page 1 of 1