Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers: Tough decision at RB Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers: Tough decision at RB

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Steelers: Tough decision at RB Empty
PostSubject: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

By MATT PAWLIKOWSKI
Correspondent

The Steelers' stunning overtime loss to Denver on Sunday in an AFC Wild Card game could have marked the end of an era in Pittsburgh.
While head coach Mike Tomlin wasn't ready to make any personnel decisions at his season-ending press conference on Monday, his words said it all.

"There's always going to be changes," Tomlin said. "There are changes every year. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like there's not going to be changes. To what extent, at this point, I am not ready to address."
What and who is still up in the air, but with the Steelers expected to be well over the salary cap next season, major changes are coming, and a number of key veterans who have helped lead the team to three Super Bowls could be gone.

One of the most interesting decisions could come at running back. Rashard Mendenhall, who has been the workhorse since 2008, is the incumbent, but his status due to a torn ACL is uncertain until at least training camp.
Mendenhall is also entering the last year of a five-year contract worth $12.55 million that he signed in July of 2008. Considering Isaac Redman's performance against Denver, things could get interesting.
Redman, undrafted out of Bowie State, rushed for 121 yards on 17 carries against the Broncos, an average of 7.1. In the regular-season finale against the Browns, he had 92 yards on 19 carries to close the regular season with 479 yards (4.4 average) on 110 carries.

"I grabbed him there at the end and told him how proud I was of him," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said following the Denver game. "He played a grown-man game. I'm so proud of the way he stepped up and carried the load. He did a good job, and I'm incredibly proud of him."

Redman could have tooted his own horn, but when asked whether he did what he came to prove, he talked about the team.
"No I didn't," Redman said. "We didn't win the game. It leaves a sour taste in our mouths."
The Steelers aren't afraid to stick with undrafted guys at the skill positions. Ask Lancaster County native Dan Kreider, who played fullback. An even better example is Willie Parker, who helped lead the team to the Super Bowl in 2005. In the past they also weren't afraid to have two strong backs complement each other, like Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis, or Parker and Mendenhall.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/567515_Steelers-may-have-tough-decision-at-RB.html#ixzz1jjPQjZwd

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 am

its a good problem to have. we should be set a RB

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Don't forget about Baron Batch and Jonathan Dwyer either!

Back to top Go down
La Flama Blanca
Xtreme Newb
La Flama Blanca

PostSubject: Re: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:46 pm

We have a tough decision to make at fullback, as in getting one.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:47 pm

La Flama Blanca wrote:
We have a tough decision to make at fullback, as in getting one.

And actually utilizing him. Steelers: Tough decision at RB 2981382511

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 am

the Pittsburgh Steelers as you know then are going to change i see the changing of the guard. i see atleast 4 players gone from the 2011 team.

would be nice if the Steelers find a good RB other teams over looked.

don't see Mendy getting another contract from the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers: Tough decision at RB   Steelers: Tough decision at RB Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers: Tough decision at RB
Page 1 of 1