Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeOffensive tackles always a big dilemma Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Offensive tackles always a big dilemma

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Offensive tackles always a big dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Offensive tackles always a big dilemma   Offensive tackles always a big dilemma EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 pm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Football people hold two distinct philosophies when it comes to stocking teams with offensive tackles. One is to draft them in the first round whenever possible; the other is to ignore them in the first round, find them later and develop them.

For years, the Steelers have favored the latter and, while they have been quite successful as a team on the field, they've had only one Pro Bowl left tackle since the NFL merger in 1970, Marvel Smith -- and he made it once. The only other two to make it were right tackles -- Larry Brown (drafted as a tight end) once and Tunch Ilkin (drafted as a center) twice.

The Steelers have made no pretense about what they think of offensive tackles when it comes to drafting them. They have not drafted one in the first round in the past 15 years. They drafted only one left tackle in the first round since the 1970 NFL merger. They have drafted one tackle of any kind in the first round in the past four decades who turned out any good.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11111/1140806-66.stm#ixzz1KDEeP6Ml

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Offensive tackles always a big dilemma   Offensive tackles always a big dilemma EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 pm

You guys need somebody who can stop Suggs. It's always upsetting to see him have a great game and still lose. I need some consistency in my life.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Offensive tackles always a big dilemma   Offensive tackles always a big dilemma EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 pm

JonM229 wrote:
You guys need somebody who can stop Suggs. It's always upsetting to see him have a great game and still lose. I need some consistency in my life.

The Ravens consistently lose to the Steelers in the clutch. Isn't that good enough for you, Jon? Offensive tackles always a big dilemma 2988561446 Offensive tackles always a big dilemma 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Offensive tackles always a big dilemma   Offensive tackles always a big dilemma EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm

JonM229 wrote:
The Ravens always lose to the Steelers in the playoffs ... there's some consistency for ya. Offensive tackles always a big dilemma 1797695198

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Offensive tackles always a big dilemma   Offensive tackles always a big dilemma Empty

Back to top Go down

Offensive tackles always a big dilemma
Page 1 of 1