Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHampton tackles role of mentor Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Hampton tackles role of mentor

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Hampton tackles role of mentor Empty
PostSubject: Hampton tackles role of mentor   Hampton tackles role of mentor EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 2:04 am

By Ralph N. Paulk

Casey Hampton spent much of the Steelers’ recent minicamp nursing a left knee that required ACL surgery shortly after last season’s playoff loss at Denver.

Yet a reinvigorated Hampton will begin his 12th season fully engaged. With linebacker James Farrior and wide receiver Hines Ward gone, the five-time Pro Bowler assumes the role of mentor for a team slowly gaining a youthful look.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” Hampton said. “I’ll be ready to go when camp starts. I’m getting my knees and small muscles in shape. When you get older, you want to have fun with it because you don’t have much time left. I’m definitely not done. I have a lot more football in me.”

Hampton will turn 35 six days before the season opener Sept. 9 at Denver. That’s why the Steelers felt compelled to seek his successor at nose tackle.

On the first day of minicamp workouts, Hampton devoted plenty of time to schooling rookie Alameda Ta’amu on the intricacies of the position, which Hampton has manned for the Steelers since 2001.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1978010-85/hampton-amu-casey-steelers-rookie-mentor-nose-season-tackle-alameda?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier this year, I kind of expected Hampton to get cut. But after Hoke retired, it made tons of sense to keep him for at least another year.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hampton tackles role of mentor   Hampton tackles role of mentor EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 am

I too thought he'd be dumped for salary cap reasons and a tailing off in production. I'm not against keeping him if he can still help the team, but with his injury, age, contract, and waning production last year, I'm not sure how much help he'll be. Time will tell.

There's no doubt we are thin in that area. I don't feel too comfortable turning it over to Ta'amu in his rookie season. I'm really hoping McClendon can step up.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Hampton tackles role of mentor   Hampton tackles role of mentor EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
I too thought he'd be dumped for salary cap reasons and a tailing off in production. I'm not against keeping him if he can still help the team, but with his injury, age, contract, and waning production last year, I'm not sure how much help he'll be. Time will tell.

There's no doubt we are thin in that area. I don't feel too comfortable turning it over to Ta'amu in his rookie season. I'm really hoping McClendon can step up.

I think if Snack can't go we'll be OK with McClendon for this year giving Muuuu a chance to learn the position from the sideline. Maybe they can talk Hoke out of retirement if need be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hampton tackles role of mentor   Hampton tackles role of mentor Empty

Back to top Go down

Hampton tackles role of mentor
Page 1 of 1