Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeThe SF nightmare Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

The SF nightmare

Go down 
+6
vasteeler
SteelCityMom
supytalpeht
Bays
Wallace108
ricardisimo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ricardisimo
Xtreme Newb
ricardisimo

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

How the hell did Mom do it? She's been gone a day and I just had to ban twenty or thirty spammers. Did they sense her absence?

Wallace108

Wallace108

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:28 pm

It should get better, ric. I think most of them followed her here. It's like a scene out of Insidious. SF isn't haunted ... Mom is. The SF nightmare 1664291743

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:33 pm

I got quickly tired of the doom & gloomers over at SF and decided to come here regularly instead. The thing I like about this forum is there's more than just football to talk about, and that's refreshing.

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I heard someone posted the url on 4chan
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:48 pm

ricardisimo wrote:
How the hell did Mom do it? She's been gone a day and I just had to ban twenty or thirty spammers. Did they sense her absence?

No, they didn't sense my absence. That's just how many I would ban in a normal day.

Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:21 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
ricardisimo wrote:

No, they didn't sense my absence. That's just how many I would ban in a normal day.

Props for that Shocked

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 pm

I own three of my own forums on forumotion, and moderate some message boards on other servers. Banning that many people a day can get annoying The SF nightmare 1797695198

Wallace108

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:29 pm

bayz101 wrote:
I own three of my own forums on forumotion
Nice. I might have to consult with you for some ideas. Or if you have any suggestions, feel free to let us know. We're always looking for ways to improve the board.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:30 pm

bayz101 wrote:
I own three of my own forums on forumotion, and moderate some message boards on other servers. Banning that many people a day can get annoying The SF nightmare 1797695198

It wasn't just that. I have no life, and already do some side work where I'm sitting at my computer a good bit of the day. It was the general lack of care by the admin for the site. I refuse to sit around and make excuses for why we still have to post in the 2010 draft section, or why there are still editorials about Ben's rape charges on the home page, or why someone can't have their username changed. Shit like that.

I'd sit around and ban people all year long if someone would just keep up on simple shit around there.

And just for the record...no, I'm not bitter at all. The SF nightmare 1797695198

Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
I own three of my own forums on forumotion
Nice. I might have to consult with you for some ideas. Or if you have any suggestions, feel free to let us know. We're always looking for ways to improve the board.

Here's an example of my first forum, setup nearly entirely by myself. It's for a gaming clan on the PS3. I'll give my tips and suggestions, but it's looking pretty good The SF nightmare 2981382511

http://ezkillersclan.forumotion.com/

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:54 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

It wasn't just that. I have no life, and already do some side work where I'm sitting at my computer a good bit of the day. It was the general lack of care by the admin for the site. I refuse to sit around and make excuses for why we still have to post in the 2010 draft section, or why there are still editorials about Ben's rape charges on the home page, or why someone can't have their username changed. Shit like that.

I'd sit around and ban people all year long if someone would just keep up on simple shit around there.

And just for the record...no, I'm not bitter at all. The SF nightmare 1797695198

Yeah...If only you could get the owner of the forum to cough it up, we could fix it up. I'm assuming he's paying to keep it running? I'm pretty sure it's not a freely hosted board. Or is it?

SteelCityMom

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:59 pm

bayz101 wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

Yeah...If only you could get the owner of the forum to cough it up, we could fix it up. I'm assuming he's paying to keep it running? I'm pretty sure it's not a freely hosted board. Or is it?

No...the forum is hosted on vBulletin and the homepage on IPower. He pays to keep it running, but that's about it.

Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

No...the forum is hosted on vBulletin and the homepage on IPower. He pays to keep it running, but that's about it.

Well that sucks...

Xtreme Newb
ricardisimo

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:33 pm

He's clearly going to just coast on the existing ad sales. I doubt very much he will ever revisit. I take it he and Pete are close. Pete said he was going to text him, and that he had been on the site to "fix something for me", but evidently couldn't be bothered to change my status.

ricardisimo
Xtreme Newb
ricardisimo

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 pm

By the way, someone over there (STBSteeler, or some handle like that) said SteelersXtreme was slow. I'm amazed at how fast it is, given the larger sig space and activity. Don't know what he was talking about. Nice job by you guys! Must be his ISP.

Wallace108

Wallace108

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Matthew makes absolutely no sense to me. SF is still the No. 1 Steelers board on the Internet. It's obvious the board was nothing but a business venture for him when he bought it, and it didn't work out quite the way he planned. If he doesn't know how to run it properly, all he has to do is give full admin powers to one of you guys. You guys brought that board back from the dead, so it's not like you can't be trusted. It just doesn't make sense to me. And it's kind of sad to see it happening.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:46 pm

ricardisimo wrote:
By the way, someone over there (STBSteeler, or some handle like that) said SteelersXtreme was slow. I'm amazed at how fast it is, given the larger sig space and activity. Don't know what he was talking about. Nice job by you guys! Must be his ISP.
No, he was right. The board was slow for about 10 minutes or so that night and I had trouble logging in. Once every few months or so there's a hiccup, just like with any board. He just happened to catch us while the board was PMSing. But it does run really smoothly (no credit to us). In 9 months, there's been a few problems here and there. The board was down for about half an hour or so once or twice, but nothing like what I saw SU go through with the board going down for extended periods of time. Forumotion does a great job with fixing problems. They're not very good at updating features, but hey .. whatcha gonna do?

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:56 pm

ricardisimo wrote:
He's clearly going to just coast on the existing ad sales. I doubt very much he will ever revisit. I take it he and Pete are close. Pete said he was going to text him, and that he had been on the site to "fix something for me", but evidently couldn't be bothered to change my status.

Oh, get this...he e-mails me today (with a sad face smiley) saying he hopes I don't leave, and was asking what's wrong. I proceeded to tell him what's wrong (spammers, general neglect on the board, etc.) and replies that he has a full time mod that can deal with the spammers. Nothing said about updating the board or anything...just that he has a full time mod. The SF nightmare 2087824411

He's also said in the past that he has a "programmer" that can deal with things (him saying this was out of the blue as well), yet nothing got dealt with.

It's all a bunch of run around. Same with Pete, unfortunately. I'm sure Pete means well, but he was posting in the "Spamming" thread like he was trying to help with stuff...meanwhile there are spam posts in the recent comments. He even welcomed an obvious spammer today. It's just chaos and I'm glad to be done with it.

Apologies to any current members there. I love that board. It's the first Steelers board I was ever really active on and I hate to see it go to waste....so please excuse my public venting. That will be the last of it.

ricardisimo
Xtreme Newb
ricardisimo

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Huh? Who's the full-time mod? Pete's not on there all that much, and he either doesn't have the powers or doesn't know how to use them. I had to ask him to clean up one spammer's attack, when all he had to do is look down and see that, what do you know? lsuitrhvsluihe just made all of the last 10 posts, most of them pertaining to Cyalis or to áéíóúúóíéáüúíóö. Nah, I'll just post on who we should take in the first round.

Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 pm

ricardisimo wrote:

I noticed that comment as well. I happen to find this forum very fast and easy to navigate. Forumotion has always been a good forum hosting site.

SteelCityMom

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 pm

ricardisimo wrote:
Huh? Who's the full-time mod? Pete's not on there all that much, and he either doesn't have the powers or doesn't know how to use them. I had to ask him to clean up one spammer's attack, when all he had to do is look down and see that, what do you know? lsuitrhvsluihe just made all of the last 10 posts, most of them pertaining to Cyalis or to áéíóúúóíéáüúíóö. Nah, I'll just post on who we should take in the first round.

Who knows...I don't think he was talking about Pete though. He's just got some magical mod to go with his magical programmer.

Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 pm

With all due respect, it doesn't take a magician to update and program a VBulliten server. This guy just needs to quit blowing smoke and hang it up, his project didn't work out. Iv'e been there.

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:27 pm

With a proper Admin in control of SF i'm sure members would GLADLY donate to help keep it running. I really enjoyed reading some of the old editorials. Things like that keep the overall appeal of a website up, and as big as SF is, it could only improve with proper leadership.

Edit: Just realized how annoying my signature can be when my posts are on top of each other The SF nightmare 2913999526

SteelCityMom

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 pm

The SF nightmare 1664291743

Yeah...this isn't his site though (well it is now I guess, but he didn't create it). SF has actually been around since '04 I believe. Used to be run by Mike, then Matthew bought it in 2010. Nothing has been updated since then.

Bays

Bays

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
The SF nightmare 1664291743

Yeah...this isn't his site though (well it is now I guess, but he didn't create it). SF has actually been around since '04 I believe. Used to be run by Mike, then Matthew bought it in 2010. Nothing has been updated since then.

Bring back Mike! Bring back Mike! The SF nightmare 1797695198 I liked all of the editorial content and everything, but as you mentioned, Matt bought it in '10. That's where the content ends.

The SF nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Re: The SF nightmare   The SF nightmare Empty

Back to top Go down

The SF nightmare
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next