Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWe'll hire within organization  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

We'll hire within organization

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

We'll hire within organization  Empty
PostSubject: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:31 pm

And the man who'll take over at OC will be none other than QB coach, Randy Fichtner. Now, Kirby Wilson was supposed to take over, as i'm sure you all know. But Kirby's a battle of his own right now, and he'll likely be taking the year off from football this year, and concentrating on his own recovery.

Now Randy Fichtner isn't a bad coach, by any means, and here's why:

Fichtner began his coaching career as a graduate assistant, serving with Michigan, USC, UNLV, and Memphis from 1986–1987, 1988, 1989, and 1990–1993 respectively. He earned the position of wide receivers coach and recruiting director at Purdue in 1994, serving for two years before moving to Arkansas State to become the offensive coordinator from 1997–2001.

Under Fichtner's tutelage, current CFL quarterback Cleo Lemon flourished, setting numerous school records for passing and total offense. Fichtner returned to Memphis in 2001 to serve as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, instituting a new, highly effective spread offense that set school records for total offense.

The new system allowed the teams to amass prolific offensive statistics, totalling over 5000 yards in both 2003 and 2004 to rank in the top ten for both yardage and scoring, as well as supporting the development of quarterback Danny Wimprine and running back DeAngelo Williams.

Fichtner's NFL coaching debut began in 2007, serving as wide receivers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers as part of new head coach Mike Tomlin's regime, replacing the promoted Bruce Arians. He was instrumental in the development of the Steelers young wide receiver corps, mentoring Santonio Holmes to multiple 1000-yard seasons and a Super Bowl MVP award as well as supporting the growth of emerging wideouts Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown.

In 2010, Fichtner became the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Anderson after Anderson's retirement.

That's where he's at now. He seems like a good man for the job to me, and he almost took the Memphis Tigers head coach job just a couple years back. I doubt we'll hire outside of the organization, so it'll likely be Randy that will replace Arians if he leaves.

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Which means the scheme will remain unchanged. We'll hire within organization  3562723908
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

the good thing about hiring an OC from within is the terminology used in calling the plays stays the some.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
Which means the scheme will remain unchanged. We'll hire within organization  3562723908

If you say so We'll hire within organization  1797695198

You'd think a new guy running the offense would change things up We'll hire within organization  2087824411

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. I don't dislike Arians, but I dislike how our offense quit improving. Now i'll say this:

The Steelers will make Randy the offensive coordinator if the circumstances of Arians retirement was his decision. In other words, Randy will take over if it was Arians decision to leave, and not by encouragement of Rooney or Tomlin. If Arians was pushed out, there's a chance they'll hire from outside of the franchise to avoid what you suggested: A similar scheme.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, or if they even fire Arains. Hell, for all we know they could be negotiated an extension! It wasn't made very clear what the intentions are regarding Arians, and it doesn't seem like we'll find out today We'll hire within organization  2087824411

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm

supytalpeht wrote:

But the situational play-calling could make a dramatic turnaround. We'll hire within organization  2981382511

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:44 pm

i still wouldnt mind them giving mike martz a call

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm

vasteeler wrote:
i still wouldnt mind them giving mike martz a call

I think I read he retired, but I wouldn't want him anyway. He strikes me as another Arians-type with an I-know-it-all arrogance.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We'll hire within organization    We'll hire within organization  Empty

Back to top Go down

We'll hire within organization
Page 1 of 1