Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeChanges likely in veteran D-line Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Changes likely in veteran D-line

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Changes likely in veteran D-line Empty
PostSubject: Changes likely in veteran D-line   Changes likely in veteran D-line EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Friday, January 20, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Bob Donaldson/Post-GazetteSteelers defensive lineman Aaron Smith's future status with the team is still up in the air.Aaron Smith looked emaciated the week before the Steelers season ended in Denver. The 13-year veteran had lost 20 pounds after his neck injury and resulting surgery ended yet another season way too short, this one after four games.

It followed a 2010 season that lasted only six games (torn triceps), an '09 season that lasted five (torn rotator cuff) and an '07 season that lasted 11 (torn biceps). He will turn 36 in April, and it has been assumed since he was put on injured reserve that he has seen his last football. Presumed by others, perhaps, but not necessarily by Smith.

"I'm sure they'll have to come to me," he said, reaffirming that he might not know when to call it quits. "I'm sure it will be more along the lines of, 'Hey, you might want to make that call.' "

The Steelers are in the process of determining the futures of Smith and other longtime, venerable veterans as it pertains to next season. Team president Art Rooney said Tuesday that, especially because they are $25 million over the salary cap, the Steelers face "some tough decisions."

Nowhere might those decisions cut so deeply as in their defensive line. Perhaps three of their top four linemen over the past half decade could be in jeopardy of not being with them for training camp in August.

Those include Smith, their starting left defensive end since his second season in 2000; Casey Hampton, their starting nose tackle since his rookie season in '01, and Chris Hoke, their top backup lineman, mostly at nose tackle, since '04. Hoke also had neck surgery that ended his '11 season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204707-66.stm#ixzz1k1kkrkZE

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Changes likely in veteran D-line   Changes likely in veteran D-line EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Tough decisions all around for a team that is that far over the cap.

Throw in the mix the signing of the new draftees, and I'm sure the formula gets even more complicated.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Changes likely in veteran D-line 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Changes likely in veteran D-line   Changes likely in veteran D-line EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 am

Yeah I think next years D is going to look a lot different. I hate to see guys like Aaron Smith go out like this but it is the nature of the business. I have a little different out look on Hampton after he's come into camp more than once showing that he doesn't care much about staying in shape. I think McClendon will grow into that position or at least fill the spot until we can draft a replacement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes likely in veteran D-line   Changes likely in veteran D-line Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes likely in veteran D-line
Page 1 of 1