Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeArians' departure a shell game of semantics  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Arians' departure a shell game of semantics

Go down 
+2
solardave
Bays
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  Empty
PostSubject: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2012, 1:09 PM EST

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has retired. Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reports that the retirement occurred after the Steelers told Arians that his contract would not be renewed.

But the same source who tells LaCanfora that Arians was told his contract wouldn’t be renewed told LaCanfora that Arians wasn’t fired.

It’s a matter of semantics. When an employee under contract has that contract expire and the employer tells the employee that contract won’t be renewed, the employee necessarily has been . . . wait for it . . . fired. It happened to Mike Tice in Minnesota six years ago, and it has happened to countless other head coaches and assistant coaches whose contracts end along with their employment.

Continue reading...

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:07 pm

It is what it is. He won't be back. Time to muddle through without him. We appreciate his leading our offense.
Was that politically correct enough.

Now for Steeler Extreme translation. BA- Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Or to put it another way: It's been real,sometimes it's been fun, but it's never been real fun!!! Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 pm

solardave wrote:
It is what it is. He won't be back. Time to muddle through without him. We appreciate his leading our offense.

Or to put it another way: It's been real,sometimes it's been fun, but it's never been real fun!!! Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198

Have the Steelers interviewed Truck or Budda yet? Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:38 pm

effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Have the Steelers interviewed Truck or Budda yet? Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198

Since I've never actually played organized football (or logged enough hours of Tecmo Bowl) I'm surely too stupid to be considered.

Truck is probably the front-runner. Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Since I've never actually played organized football (or logged enough hours of Tecmo Bowl) I'm surely too stupid to be considered.

Truck is probably the front-runner. Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198

I'm a quarterback, i'll call up Rooney tomorrow Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 am

The message to me is this:
  • The Steelers won't extend the Arians contract.

• Arians will take next year off as a retirement year

Remember, Arians considered retirement last year. It was reported he wasn't in the best of health and felt time away from the game would be best for him. But he had to "bless" us with another year of his game planning.

I don't see it as a firing so much as a case of "we aren't hiring you again".
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 am

As divisive as Arians was, I guess it's only fitting that even his "retirement" is creating controversy. It gives the Haters and Apologists one last thing to fight over. Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1664291743

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:22 am

Wallace108 wrote:
As divisive as Arians was, I guess it's only fitting that even his "retirement" is creating controversy. It gives the Haters and Apologists one last thing to fight over. Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1664291743

I guess I would be considered a "Hater", but I'm not fighting anymore. He's gone and I don't care why as long as it's real. Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Brian Billick anyone? Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  1797695198
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm

effyou515 wrote:

Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  2744185472

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 pm

effyou515 wrote:

Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  3146839497

PostSubject: Re: Arians' departure a shell game of semantics    Arians' departure a shell game of semantics  Empty

Back to top Go down

Arians' departure a shell game of semantics
Page 1 of 1