Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers must remain pass-first team Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers must remain pass-first team

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers must remain pass-first team Empty
PostSubject: Steelers must remain pass-first team   Steelers must remain pass-first team EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 am

A hodge-podge of stuff from Smizik. Here's the Steelers stuff ...
---------------------------------

* The talk that the firing of Bruce Arians is going to usher in a return to a rush-first offense, if true, is ridiculous. The Steelers strength is their quarterback and wide receivers and the new offensive coordinator would be wise to utilize those talents.

* The ‘retirement’ of Arians was done in a most un-Steelers manner, which is to say it was botched -- badly. If Art Rooney wanted Arians out -- and that seems to be the case -- he should have conveyed that to Mike Tomlin well before Tomlin let it be known he wanted Arians back.

* Just because the Steelers strength is in the passing game does not mean they should abandon the run. A championship-caliber team should aspire to be strong in all areas. But the Steelers calling card for the immediate future is the passing game.

* Ben Roethlisberger is a $100 million superstar who has an understandable say in how the Steelers offense is run. But in hiring a new offensive coordinator, the Steelers must let Roethlisberger know who is the boss, and it’s the coach, not the quarterback.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31680-steelers-must-remain-pass-first-team

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers must remain pass-first team   Steelers must remain pass-first team EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am

I agree with all of Smizik's points. We are a pass first team with dynamic weapons at the WR and TE positions. We just need to find a way to improve the run game to make it more effective in short yardage and goal line situations and show more consistency and commitment to it starting with signing/drafting a REAL fullback. That and a couple more solid o-line draftees could turn all of that around real quick and make this offense truly dangerous going forward.

Back to top Go down
riccosuavez
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers must remain pass-first team   Steelers must remain pass-first team EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 pm

I too agree with the bulk of what he said. As far as pass first mentality I choose to look at it as we will continue to pass more than run, but a good OC will try to catch you in run situations with a pass play and vice versa from time to time. I for one would like to see a coach who if something works then do it til that team does something to stop it. Mix things up just enough to keep them honest.

A run team mentality will put you in a hole if you continue to do it because teams in the NFL are too good to let you run all night. you will find yourself in 3rd and long situations constantly and that is a recipe for disaster with our poor O-Line. Mix up first down passes with runs, screens to your RB and TE, hell even keep a few of those bubble screens I hear so much about.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers must remain pass-first team   Steelers must remain pass-first team EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 pm

riccosuavez wrote:
I too agree with the bulk of what he said. As far as pass first mentality I choose to look at it as we will continue to pass more than run, but a good OC will try to catch you in run situations with a pass play and vice versa from time to time. I for one would like to see a coach who if something works then do it til that team does something to stop it. Mix things up just enough to keep them honest.

A run team mentality will put you in a hole if you continue to do it because teams in the NFL are too good to let you run all night. you will find yourself in 3rd and long situations constantly and that is a recipe for disaster with our poor O-Line. Mix up first down passes with runs, screens to your RB and TE, hell even keep a few of those bubble screens I hear so much about.
I totally agree.

There's a misconception out there that a lot of fans want to go back to Cowher Ball. I don't think that's the case at all. It's not about passing or running ... it's about situational football, just as you described.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
BigRick
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers must remain pass-first team   Steelers must remain pass-first team EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 pm

riccosuavez wrote:

I too agree with what you say. The days of dominate running games is past. Steelers must remain pass-first team 1401235891
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers must remain pass-first team   Steelers must remain pass-first team Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers must remain pass-first team
Page 1 of 1