Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWin Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers Scb210

By Steel Dad

The ball bounced and it bounced and it ricocheted off one guy and then another and when it finally came to rest it was in the hands of Pittsburgh Steelers’ reserve tight end Michael Palmer. The on-sides kick had failed and the Steelers had their fourth victory of the season.

As Head Coach Mike Tomlin has often said, style points do not matter in the NFL and he is absolutely right. The name of the game is to win and that’s what the Steelers needed and that’s what they did last night along the confluence.

While the victory gives us good feelings that will last until next Sunday, there is a shadow that still hangs over this version of the Steelers. Outside of three minutes last evening, these Steelers were the exact same ones that you saw against Jacksonville and then Cleveland.

Offensively they struggled to maintain any consistency. Protecting Ben Roethlisberger was not going to be easy going in and it wasn’t as he was sacked three times and had yet another fumble in the process of one. As I said in my postgame notes, I love and appreciate how Roethlisberger never lets a play die but he has to take better care of the football. It’s that simple.

The relationship between the signal caller and his receivers was better last night but there were still issues at times and those things need to be corrected sooner rather than later.

The red zone offense took a major step forward last evening scoring two touchdowns but one came on a trick play from inside the five yard line. Oh it was a thing of beauty alright but was it necessary? It looked more like a sign of desperation from an offensive coordinator who had no more answers.

READ MORE: http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/10/21/win-texans-doesnt-mask-existing-problems-steelers/

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Quote :
While the victory gives us good feelings that will last until next Sunday, there is a shadow that still hangs over this version of the Steelers. Outside of three minutes last evening, these Steelers were the exact same ones that you saw against Jacksonville and then Cleveland.

Completely agree.  Great article, btw. Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers 2335737994

I think the next two games will really show what the Steelers are made of this season.  Both tough teams to beat and definitely not scrubs.

I actually liked the Brown-Moore TD, but I happen to be a fan of gadget plays.

Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers We_bel10
Back to top Go down
steelersviews
Xtreme Newb
steelersviews

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm a fan of switching it up in red zone because they haven't had much success. Why not throw in a curve ball?

The real difference vs. Texans is simply throwing the ball INTO the end zone. Three TD's as a result. Keep doing that, and chance of success will increase.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 am

I agree the next 2 games will tell who we really are. Are we a young team learning to play together or did we just get lucky against the Texans? My self I was gald to see Bryant get a TD catch in his first game.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 6:24 am

I like the trick play call on the toss to Brown and he threw it into the end zone (did you see the block by BR7?!) We will sure have the Colts guessing on what we are going to do in the red zone.

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 am

Good article Marc. I too talked about the creativity in the RZ being necessary, as they find an identity. I was more impressed with scoring quickly and decisively there, rather than needing 3 downs. In fact, the offense started to chew up 1st downs in bunches as the game wore on. Needing 3 downs all of the time had become the norm, and getting a good amount of yards on 1 and 2 downs gave the Steelers opportunity to take shots down field (like Bryant's TD.)

You can read my thoughts on the game here: http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2014/10/21/likes-and-dislikes-texans-vs-steelers/

http://steelcityunderground.com
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 6:34 am

I agree SCU that the defense should get some recognition that they did a nice job on holding the Texans to some field goals. If they had been worth 4 more points each, we lose that game.

Also, that game continued the pattern of "win, loss, win, loss, win, loss, win". Can we string 2 wins together?

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

SteelersYak wrote:
Also, that game continued the pattern of "win, loss, win, loss, win, loss, win".  Can we string 2 wins together?

Jets were like this last year and ended 8-8 LOL

The defense still has a ton of leaks and is no better than last year, but we're also missing our last 2 top draft picks. I think getting Shazier and then Jones, back on the field, will be the thing that puts this unit over the top.

I wrote this before the Texans game, and it still largely holds true, with comparisons to last season's turnaround:  http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2014/10/16/what-has-to-happen-next/

http://steelcityunderground.com
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Quote :
The team will have to be careful not to leave points on the field, as the next games will be extremely critical.

Agree with this. This has been the killer all season.

We need to have a winning record in the remaining 3 games vs. the division.

PostSubject: Re: Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers   Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Win Over Texans is a Start, But Issues Remain for the Steelers
Page 1 of 1