Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMaybe Arians wasn't stupid after all Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all

Go down 
+2
kirklandrules
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all Empty
PostSubject: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Here's a good article from Smizik that I think Arians supporters will appreciate.
-------------------------------------------------------

The critics of Bruce Arians, and they are many, felt vindicated for their long-standing criticism of the man when he was relieved of his duties as Steelers offensive coordinator earlier this month by no less an authority than team president Art Rooney.

Here it was -- proof at last -- that Arians was incompetent. It was as though five years of winning football, including two trips to the Super Bowl, never happened.

Then came word Saturday that maybe Arians wasn’t the completely disrespected dunce that his critics like to portray him as. It was reported and confirmed that the Indianapolis Colt had hired Arians to be their offensive coordinator.

What was particularly impressive about this job was the man who offered it -- new Colts coach Chuck Pagano. For the previous four years, Pagano had been on the defensive staff of the Baltimore Ravens. He went up against Arians twice a year in one of the most fiercely contested rivalries in the NFL.

Few opponents knew Arians as well as Pagano. And he wanted Arians running his offense. That is a tremendous compliment.

READ MORE: http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31724-final-take-on-arians
-------------------------------------------------------------------

He makes an interesting argument, but here's something Smizik said later in the article that jumped out at me:

Quote :
The Steelers were 17th in the NFL in red-zone touchdown percentage in 2011 at 50.9. That is not good and most of the teams below the Steelers had a lesser quarterback than Roethlisberger. Over the past three seasons, the Steelers also were 17th.

Again, not good, although I’m not sure it rises to the level of a fireable offense.

You win games not by racking up yardage or stats. You win games by scoring touchdowns. And 17th in the league in red-zone touchdown percentage just isn't close to being good enough for an elite team. The Steelers have been horrible in the red zone under Arians ... it wasn't just in 2011. Sure, it wasn't all Arians' fault, but that just spins us right back to all of our other debates.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 512807920 Yes he was!
Back to top Go down
blastfurness
Xtreme Newb
blastfurness

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I feel Like a proud parent watching there kids learns the hard way rather than listen to to them dare i say it but I TOLD YOU SO. Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1372836603 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1372836603 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1372836603
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm

blastfurness wrote:
I feel Like a proud parent watching there kids learns the hard way rather than listen to to them dare i say it but I TOLD YOU SO. Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1372836603 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1372836603 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1372836603
What did you tell us? I forget. Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 2829330259

Does it have anything to do with the Colts reassembling the Browns' coaching staff? Maybe they'll bypass Luck and bring back Couch. Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1797695198

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
blastfurness
Xtreme Newb
blastfurness

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:08 pm

I did hear butch davis was being interviewed for public relations at INDY Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1797695198

All of us are wise to the game. I know we all can see what going to happen when the steelers are putting together 7 to 9 play drive what packages are being sent in and how the down and distance affects that. I said from day one that B/A was getting alot criticisms because of failures of the offense but is it his fault that play he called was audibled at the line, Kemo has 3 penaltys in row for 45yards, the o line not protecting ben, I am sure you see the point I am getting at B/A did call a good game.

Like I said before if I had choice between Marlaky, Wiz, or BA I would take either one before B/A but letting him go was bad idea.

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 312503953 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 312503953 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 312503953

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm excited to see who the Steelers bring in as the new OC and how the team adapts. There were things about BA that I didn't like (no FB was the biggest), but don't think he flat out sucked. However, I think it was healthy for this team to try something new.

A lot of fans criticize coach Lebeau. But at least his defenses have consistently banged out #1 and #2 rankings over the years. How often was BA getting a top 10 offense? With the talent he had this year and still produce #21 in scoring was just poor IMHO. Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 131212936
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm

blastfurness wrote:
I did hear butch davis was being interviewed for public relations at INDY Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 1797695198

All of us are wise to the game. I know we all can see what going to happen when the steelers are putting together 7 to 9 play drive what packages are being sent in and how the down and distance affects that. I said from day one that B/A was getting alot criticisms because of failures of the offense but is it his fault that play he called was audibled at the line, Kemo has 3 penaltys in row for 45yards, the o line not protecting ben, I am sure you see the point I am getting at B/A did call a good game.

Like I said before if I had choice between Marlaky, Wiz, or BA I would take either one before B/A but letting him go was bad idea.

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 312503953 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 312503953 Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 312503953

I'm on record here as saying that Arians isn't a horrible OC. I've often said that if he had a solid O-line and a QB who made quick and good decisions, he'd have an awesome offense. The problem is that he didn't have a solid line, and his QB holds onto the ball too long and doesn't make quick decisions. Yet Arians refused to change his philosophy based on the strengths and weaknesses of his players. By his own admission, he has his game plan and he's going to run it. Period. That was my biggest problem with Arians ... he was stubborn.

It's quite possible that Indy's offense might look dominant next year and ours might be even worse. But I've watched the Steelers long enough to know that the front office is right more times than not. It's not an accident that we're competitive year after year after year.

Back to top Go down
tanda10506
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm

He did flat out suck, announcers were calling out what are plays were before we ran them. I succesfully predicted a full series of his plays: 1st down pass behind the line of scrimmage, 2nd down long incomplete bomb, 3rd down and 12 run up the gut out of the shotgun. I played college ball so I may recognize things a bit easier but I am not some football genius, that bubble screen sure made Suggs look like one though. At least when we run that play we throw it to our slow receiver. He might be the best blocking wr ever, but dont let him be the lead blocker, leave that for the skinny fast guy!(sarcasm) Yes he was a complete dumbass!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 3:44 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
I'm excited to see who the Steelers bring in as the new OC and how the team adapts. There were things about BA that I didn't like (no FB was the biggest), but don't think he flat out sucked. However, I think it was healthy for this team to try something new.

A lot of fans criticize coach Lebeau. But at least his defenses have consistently banged out #1 and #2 rankings over the years. How often was BA getting a top 10 offense? With the talent he had this year and still produce #21 in scoring was just poor IMHO. Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 131212936
I see things pretty much like you do, KR. Not using a fullback ... empty backfield on 3rd and short. There were things that I didn't like, and we needed something new. He had 5 years, which is long enough. I didn't see much improvement in the offense from year 1 to year 5.

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 pm

When he admitted that they never practice for any 4-3 D that was about it for me. Incompetent comes to mind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Mach1 wrote:
When he admitted that they never practice for any 4-3 D that was about it for me. Incompetent comes to mind.
Yep. In case anyone doesn't remember that ...

Quote :
Bruce Arians promised the Steelers will run the ball better this year. To do that, his offense is doing things they have never done before in training camp.

Because the Steelers struggled getting a running game going against 4-3 defensive fronts a year ago and have 10 games against teams that use four down linemen and three linebackers this year, they are preparing themselves now.

The offense spent a good portion of Wednesday morning's practice running team drills against a 4-3 front to get the players used to the look.

Not only was it the first time this camp they have done such a thing, it was the first time they have ever worked on it during practice.

"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said. "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."

Read more: Steelers begin prepping for opposing 4-3 defenses - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_694536.html#ixzz1kyUAKmqo

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
Yep. In case anyone doesn't remember that ...

Quote :
Bruce Arians promised the Steelers will run the ball better this year. To do that, his offense is doing things they have never done before in training camp.

Because the Steelers struggled getting a running game going against 4-3 defensive fronts a year ago and have 10 games against teams that use four down linemen and three linebackers this year, they are preparing themselves now.

The offense spent a good portion of Wednesday morning's practice running team drills against a 4-3 front to get the players used to the look.

Not only was it the first time this camp they have done such a thing, it was the first time they have ever worked on it during practice.

"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said. "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."

Read more: Steelers begin prepping for opposing 4-3 defenses - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_694536.html#ixzz1kyUAKmqo

Obviously we didn't understand the genius involved in such tactics: "4-3 .... 3-4, what's the difference?" Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all 3572881467
Back to top Go down
La Flama Blanca
Xtreme Newb
La Flama Blanca

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Once the Ravens retained Cameron I think they ran out of shitty options... BA was the next worse thing

PostSubject: Re: Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all   Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all Empty

Back to top Go down

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all
Page 1 of 1