Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Monday, February 13, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are not counting on Rashard Mendenhall being able to play in 2012 because of his ACL surgery, and it appears they will not sign any of their own pending free agents before they hit the open market on March 13.

Those were two revelations general manager Kevin Colbert offered during an interview today at the Steelers facility on the South Side.

Among others:

• He confirmed that no decision has been made on whether Hines Ward will be back with the Steelers in 2012.

• The Steelers "have work to do" to get under the mandatory NFL salary cap by March 13, which is the beginning of the new league calender and the start of free agency.

• They want to try to keep Mike Wallace "here for the long run.'' Wallace, their leading receiver last season, will become a restricted free agent March 13.

• Some big names could be out before training camp starts. "When you've had success . . . anybody who has been part of our team and you have to release them, it's always difficult.''

• The Steelers saw this problem with the salary cap coming for awhile and "knew we'd have to make adjustments,'' Colbert said. He called them "serious issues.''

"What our team will be at training camp? I don't know what it will be.''

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "I never feel good about an ACL for a year.'' Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after it was injured in Cleveland Jan. 1.

Even with the availability of Mendenhall in question, Colbert said they do not necessarily have to bring in another running back.

"No more than we are for any other position. Our young backup contributors did a nice job" in 2011.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12044/1209944-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1mIVHmExX

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think with the revelation that Mendy may not be ready or able to play in 2012 and the fact that we are having cap problems, the FO should consider parting ways with him. There's been a lot of speculation on the boards that maybe we should let him go anyway and with the seriousness of his injury and the money problems, it may be best for the team to go in another direction. Redman did a damn fine job in his absence and we have some capable back-ups as possibilities to fill the void in Memo, Dwyer, Clay, and a returning and promising Baron Batch.

They could even supplement through the draft or free agency as well at a cheaper cost to help us get under the cap and sign Wallace. Hell, I'd rather use his money to keep Ward at this point. I don't hate Mendy as much as some others, but some tough calls need to be made soon and this one may be easier to take than some others.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm

i agree, i know we've had line issues but i have never been that high on mendy.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:18 pm

vasteeler wrote:
i agree, i know we've had line issues but i have never been that high on mendy.

I'm kind of indifferent on him now. The only reason I say they should look into letting him go now is for cap purposes and freeing up money for more important guys. We can survive without Mendenhall, but how bad will losing Wallace hurt?

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 am

Plus, when he is "ready", will he actually be ready to play football? Coming back from and an injury like that not only has a physical aspect but a mental aspect as well. To this point, I would say that injuries have defined his career.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 4:17 am

I too agree we had line problems but there were games where Mendy seemed to run harder than others.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Batch brings to the field. If he is as articulate with his moves as he is with words it will be an upgrade.
And we know Redman runs with anger,malice and a great big chip. And that's all good.

Maybe it is time. I look at Mendy and honestly I can picture him in a different uniform.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
Plus, when he is "ready", will he actually be ready to play football? Coming back from and an injury like that not only has a physical aspect but a mental aspect as well. To this point, I would say that injuries have defined his career.

Quick answer.

No. He'll be "ready" physically in September, but that doesn't mean he'll be himself.

I tore my ACL in middle school football. Once you finish the recovery timeline of 5-7 months, extensive follow-up conditioning and muscle-strength rehabilitation is next in line. I would bet money on him missing all of next season, and being back to football shape mentally and physically for the post-season workouts this time next year.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012   Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1