Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTaking a guard in the first round? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Taking a guard in the first round?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Taking a guard in the first round? Empty
PostSubject: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 2:59 pm

imo don't think the Steelers have to draft a guard in the first round what l've read there is few college tackles who project as good NFL guards.

We'll see come April draft but l think the Steelers can pull a couple of good linemen out of this draft.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

It would be nice to see them take an O-lineman in the first round, and it would be nice to see them solidify the offensive line overall in this year's draft, creating a wrecking machine for our RBs to have more success than we've had since Bettis' retirement.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Taking a guard in the first round? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm

As much as I'd love to see an o-lineman in the first, I still think ILB as Farrior's replacement is a more pressing need.

Now, if we lose Wallace to free agency and get another 1st round pick, it would be nothing short of criminal to NOT address o-line in the first round.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
As much as I'd love to see an o-lineman in the first, I still think ILB as Farrior's replacement is a more pressing need.

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't think the Steelers are looking at Foote as the solution at ILB. He wasn't a starter the past few years and it's not like he's going to be better now that Farrior is gone. And I think they kept Farrior in as a starter as long as they did because they didn't have a viable solution waiting in the wings. Foote is gap fill at best.

Buddha Bus wrote:
Now, if we lose Wallace to free agency and get another 1st round pick, it would be nothing short of criminal to NOT address o-line in the first round.

I'm almost hoping the Bills pick up Wallace. That would be a decent 1st rounder to get and would save the team a ton of cash (that it doesn't really have). The one thing that worries me is the Steelers deferred a ton of salary over the next 2-3 years by restructuring all those contracts. If they sign Wallace to a big contract, what will they have next year to keep Brown, Sanders and whoever is the next guy up? The teams that threw out huge contracts to WR this year suck (maybe with the exception of the Lions). Let them dump a huge part of their payroll into 1 player.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 2:59 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't think the Steelers are looking at Foote as the solution at ILB. He wasn't a starter the past few years and it's not like he's going to be better now that Farrior is gone. And I think they kept Farrior in as a starter as long as they did because they didn't have a viable solution waiting in the wings. Foote is gap fill at best.

I agree. Foote is not the solution to our problems and they probably flipped a coin to see whether it was Foote or Farrior who would be cut. Taking a guard in the first round? 1797695198

The only reason Foote edged James out was because he's younger, in case they need him for more than 1 year. I really hope there's another plan or miracle in the works as Farrior's replacement. Maybe Sylvester finally "gets it" this year and explodes, but I'm not holding my breath.

kirklandrules wrote:
I'm almost hoping the Bills pick up Wallace. That would be a decent 1st rounder to get and would save the team a ton of cash (that it doesn't really have). The one thing that worries me is the Steelers deferred a ton of salary over the next 2-3 years by restructuring all those contracts. If they sign Wallace to a big contract, what will they have next year to keep Brown, Sanders and whoever is the next guy up? The teams that threw out huge contracts to WR this year suck (maybe with the exception of the Lions). Let them dump a huge part of their payroll into 1 player.

Considering the amount of cash they just laid at Mario Williams' feet, it seems highly unlikely now. I would rather have Brown signed long-term than Wallace. Ideally, we'd keep both, but I don't see it happening money-wise. I'd also like to see a move on Cotchery soon. We need his veteran presence and possession skills.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Considering the amount of cash they just laid at Mario Williams' feet, it seems highly unlikely now. I would rather have Brown signed long-term than Wallace. Ideally, we'd keep both, but I don't see it happening money-wise. I'd also like to see a move on Cotchery soon. We need his veteran presence and possession skills.

I have a feeling they will try to sort out Wallace before moving on anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

I have a feeling they will try to sort out Wallace before moving on anyone else.

Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, it may cost us Cotchery. He won't wait forever.

I also feel like the Bungles or Pats are laying low and waiting for the right time to strike that will hurt us the most on Wallace. Goddamned bushwhackers! Taking a guard in the first round? 2625562446

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking a guard in the first round?   Taking a guard in the first round? Empty

Back to top Go down

Taking a guard in the first round?
Page 1 of 1