Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeColon Moving to LG Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Colon Moving to LG

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Article on the PG that says Willie is moving to LG:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/report-steelers-colon-confirms-move-to-right-guard-636150/
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Here's my take on this move:

*Gilbert played great as a RT in his rookie season and IMO, was a better pass blocker than Colon.
*With Starks off the roster and no viable LT it seems Adams will likely be the front runner as the starter. He has more talent than the current LT backups.
*Colon is a beast in run blocking and should have an easier time pass blocking in the middle of the line.

So the lineup should look like:

Adams, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert Colon Moving to LG 184121345

Colon Moving to LG 2927775184 Colon Moving to LG 2927775184 Colon Moving to LG 2927775184 Colon Moving to LG 2927775184 Colon Moving to LG 2927775184

Now Kugler has to issue a new mandate: NO ONE GET HURT!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Colon Moving to LG 1372836603

This is great news! Can you imagine it now? Adams or Gilbert/Colon/Pouncey/DeCastro/Adams or Gilbert. That sounds pretty effing awesome to me! Colon Moving to LG 2185032793

And they could even bring back Starks as well to replace Scott on the roster who I'd like to see shown the door. He could start instead of Adams if they aren't comfortable with him starting the season.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Willie Colon moving to left guard
Posted by Josh Alper on May 16, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT

Willie Colon restructured his deal to remain with the Steelers, but that’s not the only move he’s making this offseason.

Colon said Wednesday that he is now playing left guard for Pittsburgh. He looked like the presumptive favorite to start at right tackle, but Colon’s size has long made him a candidate to kick inside.

“I’ve made the transition to left guard,” Colon said, via Mike Prisuta of WDVE. “I like it. It’s just a matter of learning the verbiage.”

(Read More:) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/16/willie-colon-moving-to-left-guard/

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Can you imagine it now? Adams or Gilbert/Colon/Pouncey/DeCastro/Adams or Gilbert.

I believe you'll see Adams on the left and Gilbert on the right. Gilbert did a great job transitioning to RT last year and trying to get him to move back would involve 2 moves: Gilbert move to LT and Adams to transition to RT.

But I'm not Kugler and my job isn't on the line over the opinion I submit for how the Steelers O-line should look Colon Moving to LG 2893009358
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:53 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Can you imagine it now? Adams or Gilbert/Colon/Pouncey/DeCastro/Adams or Gilbert.

I believe you'll see Adams on the left and Gilbert on the right. Gilbert did a great job transitioning to RT last year and trying to get him to move back would involve 2 moves: Gilbert move to LT and Adams to transition to RT.

But I'm not Kugler and my job isn't on the line over the opinion I submit for how the Steelers O-line should look Colon Moving to LG 2893009358

I just worry that Adams, like your latest commentary suggests, won't be ready to start in the season opener. What do you think the chances of the team re-signing Max Starks to start the season (injury allowable) are?

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:05 am

I want to believe Adams will be coachable and will start. I also think he'll get better as the year goes on. This could be the best line we've had in years.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:06 am

[quote="Buddha Bus"][quote="kirklandrules"]
Buddha Bus wrote:

I just worry that Adams, like your latest commentary suggests, won't be ready to start in the season opener. What do you think the chances of the team re-signing Max Starks to start the season (injury allowable) are?

I think the chances of Adams starting are a lot better after moving Colon to LG. Prior to the draft there were rumors that Colon would be the starter at RT and Gilbert would move to LT. Adams is a LT and I'd consider it a waste to see him moved to the right. When he reaches his full potential, you would want a talent like him protecting the blindside.

Adams starting at LT on opening day is not unthinkable. I'm becoming a fan of Sean Kugler and his works. He can definitely coach to Adams' technical deficiencies and help mitigate the risks they represent in games. However, the one area I don't see Adams overcoming before opening day is his lack of upper body strength. There just isn't enough time to totally erase the problem ... he can surely improve his strength, but not overcome it in just a few months.

Re-signing Starks is interesting. The Steelers were extremely lucky to sign him to such a cheap deal last year. And Starks played very well. If they can pick him up on another cheap, one-year contract, the Steelers would have the luxury of allowing Adams the time to develop/learn.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:27 am

I'd still like to see Legursky in there, or at least challenging for a starting spot. He's been a journeyman in the O-line Shuffle that the Steelers have had to play and overall he's done a great job.

I think he has proven himself worthy of at least getting a chance to battle to be in a starting position.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Colon Moving to LG 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:34 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
I'd still like to see Legursky in there, or at least challenging for a starting spot. He's been a journeyman in the O-line Shuffle that the Steelers have had to play and overall he's done a great job.

I think he has proven himself worthy of at least getting a chance to battle to be in a starting position.

I still like Legursky more as a flexible backup. He's way more valuable to the team in that capacity IMHO. He can fill in at any spot on the o-line. We've already seen what he's got as a starter. I'd rather get a look at our exciting new rookies to see what they bring to the table. Being graded and drafted so high, they should be able to step in and start at some point in their first season, especially DeCastro.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:53 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

I still like Legursky more as a flexible backup. He's way more valuable to the team in that capacity IMHO. He can fill in at any spot on the o-line. We've already seen what he's got as a starter. I'd rather get a look at our exciting new rookies to see what they bring to the table. Being graded and drafted so high, they should be able to step in and start at some point in their first season, especially DeCastro.

All I'm saying is give Legursky the opportunity to fight for the starting position. I don't think he's had that opportunity (fairly) in the last 2 seasons. I'm just asking that you give him fair chance to earn the spot. If he can't beat out the two rookies, then so be it - be the flex player you are now.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Colon Moving to LG 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptySun May 20, 2012 7:19 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

All I'm saying is give Legursky the opportunity to fight for the starting position. I don't think he's had that opportunity (fairly) in the last 2 seasons. I'm just asking that you give him fair chance to earn the spot. If he can't beat out the two rookies, then so be it - be the flex player you are now.

He does deserve the chance to compete. He's a really valuable backup at several positions but I don't know if he can hold up for 16+ games. I guess we'll find out during camp. I think it's great we can debate about the o-line instead of Colon Moving to LG 3067078418 ! We actually can mix players around and it still makes sense because for once we have talent at every position.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm

stlrtruck wrote:

All I'm saying is give Legursky the opportunity to fight for the starting position.

Agreed, Legursky should have an opportunity to fight for a starting position. In fact, I know of a position that really doesn't have any competition ... FB. Legursk for FB! Let's abandon this little game of H-backs being used to play lead blocker and get someone who has the intent and ability to blow some holes through the defense.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG EmptyTue May 22, 2012 2:33 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

All I'm saying is give Legursky the opportunity to fight for the starting position.

Agreed, Legursky should have an opportunity to fight for a starting position. In fact, I know of a position that really doesn't have any competition ... FB. Legursk for FB! Let's abandon this little game of H-backs being used to play lead blocker and get someone who has the intent and ability to blow some holes through the defense.

He's great in goalline situations in that role and I'm sure he could handle short yardage FB duties, but as far as an every down type of FB I don't think Legs could do that. I want a more prototypical kind of FB, not one of these situational or hybrid FBs.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Colon Moving to LG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colon Moving to LG   Colon Moving to LG Empty

Back to top Go down

Colon Moving to LG
Page 1 of 1