Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDavid Johnson enjoying move to fullback  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

David Johnson enjoying move to fullback

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

David Johnson enjoying move to fullback  Empty
PostSubject: David Johnson enjoying move to fullback    David Johnson enjoying move to fullback  EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Associated Press

When the Pittsburgh Steelers asked David Johnson to convert from tight end to fullback full-time in time for the 2012 season, the burly 270-pound Johnson's first thought was "I need to go on a diet."

A couple months and 20 pounds later, Johnson is embracing a move that could extend the former seventh-round pick's NFL career indefinitely.

To be honest, the decision came as a bit of relief for Johnson. He spent last season meeting and practicing with the tight ends all week only to be thrown into the backfield as a lead blocker in goal line situations with little preparation.

"Last year, he was just trying to hit it on the fly," tight end Heath Miller said.

Now Johnson _ who will keep the No. 85 _ sits in meetings trying to absorb as much of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook as he can while getting a feel for what his role will look like when the season starts in September.

"It's actually a little bit easier," Johnson said. "That's all I've got to learn now is fullback. At first I had to know both tight end positions and fullback. Now I just focus on fullback and just create my better habits on that and become the best at it."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-david-johnson-enjoying-move-to-fullback/article_45734009-03df-5938-9f84-0d3b1a4ccf5b.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This move was a head-scratcher when I first heard it, but I'm starting to warm up to it.

This jumped out at me for obvious reasons:

Quote :
He spent last season meeting and practicing with the tight ends all week only to be thrown into the backfield as a lead blocker in goal line situations with little preparation.
This fits in line with Mendy saying they ran plays in games that they didn't even practice.
So let's see ... they didn't prepare for 4-3 defenses, they ran plays they didn't practice, and players were put into positions unprepared. Does anyone still doubt that getting rid of Arians was the right move?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

David Johnson enjoying move to fullback
Page 1 of 1