Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeNoll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin

Go down 
+3
stlrtruck
effyou515
Wallace108
7 posters

Who is/was your favorite coach?
Chuck Noll
Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Vote_lcap44%Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Vote_rcap
 44% [ 4 ]
Bill Cowher
Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Vote_lcap33%Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Mike Tomlin
Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Vote_lcap22%Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Empty
PostSubject: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 am

I know it's like trying to pick your favorite child, but who is/was your favorite coach and why?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Noll because it was Noll who introduces the Steelers to the Steelers way and the Steelers type of player.

Man did he put together nasty defense Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 1797695198 and this defensive mind set is still with us today.

Bottom line Noll brought winning football to the Steelers. Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 131212936

Last edited by effyou515 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because I can)
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Noll is the obvious pick, and I'm sure that's who most Steelers fans would choose. But I'm going to play devil's advocate. The Steelers were horrible when Noll took over. He benefited from quite a few high draft picks and was able to amass some great talent. And unlike Cowher and Tomlin, Noll coached in an era when he was able to keep that talent and not have them leave after 3 years. Imagine if Noll's teams operated under today's rules ... there's no way the Steelers would have been able to keep Lambert, Greene, Swann, Stallworth, Harris, Bradshaw, Blount, etc. Half of them would have left through free agency and we wouldn't have won four Super Bowls with that core group of players. So I think we have to deduct a few points from Noll just because of the era he coached in.

So although Noll seems like the obvious pick because he brought us four Super Bowls, I don't think there's any way he would win four Super Bowls in six years in today's NFL. So for me, number of Super Bowl wins won't be the determining factor.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Noll is the obvious pick, and I'm sure that's who most Steelers fans would choose. But I'm going to play devil's advocate. The Steelers were horrible when Noll took over. He benefited from quite a few high draft picks and was able to amass some great talent. And unlike Cowher and Tomlin, Noll coached in an era when he was able to keep that talent and not have them leave after 3 years. Imagine if Noll's teams operated under today's rules ... there's no way the Steelers would have been able to keep Lambert, Greene, Swann, Stallworth, Harris, Bradshaw, Blount, etc. Half of them would have left through free agency and we wouldn't have won four Super Bowls with that core group of players. So I think we have to deduct a few points from Noll just because of the era he coached in.

So although Noll seems like the obvious pick because he brought us four Super Bowls, I don't think there's any way he would win four Super Bowls in six years in today's NFL. So for me, number of Super Bowl wins won't be the determining factor.

well other team could keep there players as well and Noll could win in todays imo because evaluation of players he was so good at.

Noll and Dan Rooney make a mistake in drafting Gabe Rivera (car wreck career over) and not Dan Marino to rebuild the team. No salary cap and a little market Pittsburgh couldn't keep up with the big market teams who were buying up all the talent in the 80s.

The salary cap helped the Steelers to become a consistant playoff team again and Kevin Colbert is the best evaluator of talent the Steelers have had in a long time.

Now its how a team spend its money on players and how quickly they can bring in young talent to replace the departed. get this right and you can win some Superbowls.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Went with Cowher, because when he took over there were still a lot of new rules in the NFL in regards to FAs, RFAs, and UFAs that played havoc on teams. As a coach he was able to take all that and still have a formidable team almost every year. While he only won one Super Bowl, he did take the team to two.

And there was something about Cowher that just made you want to yell a few decibels louder on game day.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Chuck Noll. If there was a "NFL's greatest head coach", i'd vote for him there too.

Four Super Bowl win's, and his mindset still lives with the Steelers today.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 4:23 pm

I went with Cowher because it's "favorite coach". I still think Noll was the greatest of the three, but I loved Cowher's energy and fire. He was almost as fun to watch as the players when he was running up and down the sidelines with his chin stuck out, screaming, spit flying, and heartily slapping players on the back. He was like a one-man pep squad!

I'd have loved to have seen how the Steelers teams of the 70's would have done with Cowher at the helm.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:16 pm

im going with tomlin. noll brought us 4 trophies, cowher 1 and tomlins going to get us .........5 Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 792589548

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:18 pm

vasteeler wrote:
im going with tomlin. noll brought us 4 trophies, cowher 1 and tomlins going to get us .........5 Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 792589548

I'll have what VA's drinking. Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 2196231899

Back to top Go down
BornaSteelersfan
Xtreme Newb
BornaSteelersfan

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 2:21 am

I will agree with Buddha here. Cowher was the most animated coach of the three. He knew his teams strengths and weaknesses. He had the balls to make the tough decisions without hesitation. If I were to sum it up in one word, PASSION. He had extremely visable passion for the team, the game, and his players. The question was "favorite" not best or most successful.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 4:54 am

BornaSteelersfan wrote:
I will agree with Buddha here. Cowher was the most animated coach of the three. He knew his teams strengths and weaknesses. He had the balls to make the tough decisions without hesitation. If I were to sum it up in one word, PASSION. He had extremely visable passion for the team, the game, and his players. The question was "favorite" not best or most successful.

"Passion" about sums it up. I knew there was a word I was looking for and couldn't quite find. Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin   Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin Empty

Back to top Go down

Noll vs. Cowher vs. Tomlin
Page 1 of 1