Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRon Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian

Go down 
+4
effyou515
SteelerFreak58
stlrtruck
Hawaii 5-0
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian Empty
PostSubject: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 3:06 pm

August 9, 2016
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin? I’m giving Tomlin a slight edge as coach, although Cowher was good. I’m also giving Tomlin an edge as a disciplinarian. I say that knowing the Steelers will play this season without suspended Martavis Bryant and probably the first four games without suspended Le’Veon Bell.

No, I am not crazy.

There’s a growing perception in town that the Steelers have gone to pot since Tomlin took over as coach 10 years ago. Among the players who have joined the team during his watch are Bryant, LeGarrette Blount, Chris Rainey, Mike Adams and Alameda Ta’amu. All had character issues in college. Only Bryant remains under contract.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/08/09/Ron-Cook-It-s-Tomlin-over-Cowher-as-better-disciplinarian/stories/201608090015
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 4:07 pm

Cowher also had a few players who went to pot well before their contracts were up but the Steelers, at least then, didn't play. They were released almost immediately.

I don't think it's fair to put the discipline on the coaches. This has to come down from the owners (at least I would think it would).

I give the emotional edge to Cowher. He was ever excitable on the sidelines. Tomlin, at times, appears to be without emotion. Not that it's a bad thing, but there was something about Cowher that made me want to run through a glass window for him (yes even as a fan). With Tomlin, I'm more inclined to just hold the door open.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Take any young man 21 or 22 years old give them millions of dollars and you are going to have some problems it's simply statistics.

Lots of people like to judge and say, "well I would never do that..." Lol bullshit... You probably did stupid shit without the millions.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 pm

remember the Steelers had a hell of a good veteran team that got old on Tomlin's watch which the front office kicked money down the road to keep that team together.

i'm liking how this team is coming together the offense is there and the defense is starting to turn the corner.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 8:07 am

effyou515 wrote:
remember the Steelers had a hell of a good veteran team that got old on Tomlin's watch which the front office kicked money down the road to keep that team together.

i'm liking  how this team is coming together the offense is there and the defense is starting to turn the corner.

I agree. Another thing. Cowher didn't have to fire the legend (LeBeau) and the "legend in his own mind" ( Arians)
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 8:26 am

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

i'm liking  how this team is coming together the offense is there and the defense is starting to turn the corner.

I agree. Another thing. Cowher didn't have to fire the legend (LeBeau) and the "legend in his own mind" ( Arians)

You take that back! Arians is the greatest coach in the history of the known universe. The Rooney's were insane for letting him go. They simply couldn't handle his success. They're so in bed with Tomlin that they let a future Hall of Fame coach go, all so they could hire Pittsburgh Native Todd Haley, who sucks, and couldn't even make it as a head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 9:41 am

Tomlin couldn't discipline Cowher's players that are on his staff.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 11:44 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Cowher also had a few players who went to pot well before their contracts were up but the Steelers, at least then, didn't play.  They were released almost immediately.

I don't think it's fair to put the discipline on the coaches.  This has to come down from the owners (at least I would think it would).

It would be interesting if the owners were the sole responsible party in personnel decisions. But they push that duty to the coaches and GMs. That way they can act disgusted if a player has a personal failing and not take the blame for it.

stlrtruck wrote:
I give the emotional edge to Cowher.  He was ever excitable on the sidelines.  Tomlin, at times, appears to be without emotion.  Not that it's a bad thing, but there was something about Cowher that made me want to run through a glass window for him (yes even as a fan).  With Tomlin, I'm more inclined to just hold the door open.

I think the emotion Cowher provided probably had little impact in how the players played the game. It was great for the fans, and I definitely loved seeing it. First and foremost, players are self-motivated ... they get pumped on their own actions, dig deeper because they are competitive,etc. But the players can get just as motivated by Tomlin's staring finger point or chest thump as they did when Cowher spit on them. Plenty of players would walk through hell for Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry, or Bill Walsh even though they weren't fire and brimstone coaches.

Entertainment value to Cowher. But I definitely don't think the Steelers lost games because Tomlin lacked emotion (not that you implied that, but I've seen and heard some fans make that suggestion).
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 2:07 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

You take that back! Arians is the greatest coach in the history of the known universe. The Rooney's were insane for letting him go. They simply couldn't handle his success. They're so in bed with Tomlin that they let a future Hall of Fame coach go, all so they could hire Pittsburgh Native Todd Haley, who sucks, and couldn't even make it as a head coach.

HELP!!!! Iowa's been jacked by someone who obviously loves BA but can't post under his real name. Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 10:54 am

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

HELP!!!! Iowa's been jacked by someone who obviously loves BA but can't post under his real name. Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198

Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198 Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198 Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198

Haha poor Crash, probably sitting around eating lead paint, and worshipping at his Arians shrine right about now!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 1:04 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Take any young man 21 or 22 years old give them millions of dollars and you are going to have some problems it's simply statistics.

Lots of people like to judge and say, "well I would never do that..."  Lol bullshit... You probably did stupid shit without the millions.

I grew up in an era where there were no cell phones, no video cameras, and very few people brought cameras to the places where I did stupid shit. So there's very little evidence of the stupid shit I did without getting millions.

But to your point, I'd probably do more stupid shit with millions of dollars.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Lots of people like to judge and say, "well I would never do that..."  Lol bullshit... You probably did stupid shit without the millions.

I grew up in an era where there were no cell phones, no video cameras, and very few people brought cameras to the places where I did stupid shit.  So there's very little evidence of the stupid shit I did without getting millions.

But to your point, I'd probably do more stupid shit with millions of dollars.

I'm right there with you Truck! Maybe we can all agree this genetic defect is named "Manhood" Embarassed
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 3:57 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198 Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198 Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 1797695198

Haha poor Crash, probably sitting around eating lead paint, and worshipping at his Arians shrine right about now!

You mean to tell us his mom has a bathroom in her basement???? Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian 798776511
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian   Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1