Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeUPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler

Go down 
+5
fer69
effyou515
steelersfan87
Buddha Bus
Bays
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler Empty
PostSubject: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Linebacker Joey Porter played for three teams over the course of a 13-year career. Porter knows which organization he wants to end with.

Porter told me today that he plans to retire as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Specifically, Porter said he would be honored to do so.

“That’s where I started at,” Porter told me on the driving range before a practice round of the American Century Celebrity Golf Classic in South Lake Tahoe. “It’ll be an honor to go out there and retire as a Steeler. Started there, end there. Thirteen years. I never thought I’d play that long when I first started.”

The four-time Pro Bowler finishes with 170 starts, 503 tackles and 98 sacks. He is 35 years old and most recently played for the Cardinals. The assumption last year was that this would happen. He also spent three seasons in Miami. Now, Porter says he wants to join the media.

Read more...

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Where else would he retire from... the Cardinals? UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 2087824411

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Where else would he retire from... the Cardinals? UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 2087824411

If we don't sign him, i'm sure he'd head to Miami. They had him the longest outside of us. I'm pretty sure Tomlin was all about ridding him and the troubles that came with him when Cowher left, but i'm sure Porter inking the one-day contract isn't out of the question.

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm all for it. The guy deserves it. He helped bring back the first Super Bowl to Pittsburgh in decades. He was a leader.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
I'm all for it. The guy deserves it. He helped bring back the first Super Bowl to Pittsburgh in decades. He was a leader.

He was a vocal leader I dearly miss in the Black & Gold.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

If we don't sign him, i'm sure he'd head to Miami. They had him the longest outside of us. I'm pretty sure Tomlin was all about ridding him and the troubles that came with him when Cowher left, but i'm sure Porter inking the one-day contract isn't out of the question.

I was being facetious. I meant where else would be more fitting? I know he had a couple of good years in Miami, but does anyone really believe he'd retire a Dolphin?

And to echo Dodens, I'd be all for it too even though I had kind of tired of Porter's mouth towards the end. I think Tomlin and the Steelers made the right decision to move on without him as a distraction. He may have been too polarizing in the locker room if things hadn't worked out between him and Tomlin. Couple that with the emergence of James Harrison and it was inevitable.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

I was being facetious. I meant where else would be more fitting? I know he had a couple of good years in Miami, but does anyone really believe he'd retire a Dolphin?

And to echo Dodens, I'd be all for it too even though I had kind of tired of Porter's mouth towards the end. I think Tomlin and the Steelers made the right decision to move on without him as a distraction. He may have been too polarizing in the locker room if things hadn't worked out between him and Tomlin. Couple that with the emergence of James Harrison and it was inevitable.

don't think Tomlin had much to do with Porter's leaving I say it was all FO. Porter wanted to cash in contract wise Steelers had Harrison on deck. so it was bye-bye Porter and I'm with Buddha got tired of the mouth and Harrison had that 98 yard INT touchdown in the Superbowl.

and here's to the revolving door of LBs the Steelers bring up, hope it never stops. UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 1797695198
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm

I didn't even know he had retired UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 1505004552

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 pm

fer69 wrote:
I didn't even know he had retired UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 1505004552

He hasn't UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 2829330259

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:18 pm

of course he retires a steeler. he was one bad man, i just wish sometimes he would have shut the fuck up. i remember face palming many times listening to one of his rants.......great linebacker though

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:00 am

Joey Porter To Retire As A Steeler

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) — Former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter announced Thursday that he’ll retire as a member of the Pittsburgh organization.

Porter was the Steelers third-round draft pick in 1999. In his 13-year career, he spent eight seasons in Pittsburgh.

“It’ll be an honor to go out there and retire as a Steeler,” Porter told NFL.com. “Started there, end there. Thirteen years. I never thought I’d play that long when I first started.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/07/20/joey-porter-to-retire-as-a-steeler/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:

Miami? Ftttttt!
Back to top Go down
Lemondrop
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:17 pm

ABSOLUTELY, Joey should retire as a Steeler - it's like Rod Woodson, sure he played for the Rats, but when I think of him, I think of #26 in the Black and Gold. Same thing with Porter - when a player looks "strange" in another uniform, then he'll always be a Steeler (or whatever other team) in our hearts. Remember Joe Montana in a KC uniform? Emmitt Smith in a Cardinals uniform? Ludicrous.

I'm glad Joey's coming back for a day... Yes, it WAS a cheap shot... but - because it was against the Ravens - I smiled... Once, Todd Heap had (mildly) hurt his ankle on a last minute drive. The Ravens' QB (don't remember which one) was going to spike it, to stop the clock, and Heap bravely struggled back to the scrimmage line, grimacing... He made it, they snapped the ball and spiked it... and Porter absolutely buried Heap! It was rotten, dirty, fillthy cheap... but I LOVED it!!! Yeah, that made me an A-Hole that day, but we're talking about the Rats, right?

So, even though he took stupid penalties, got into needless fights, and could be a Me-First player at times... I still loved Porter. Damn straight, he better retire a Steeler!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Lemondrop wrote:
ABSOLUTELY, Joey should retire as a Steeler - it's like Rod Woodson, sure he played for the Rats, but when I think of him, I think of #26 in the Black and Gold. Same thing with Porter - when a player looks "strange" in another uniform, then he'll always be a Steeler (or whatever other team) in our hearts. Remember Joe Montana in a KC uniform? Emmitt Smith in a Cardinals uniform? Ludicrous.

I'm glad Joey's coming back for a day... Yes, it WAS a cheap shot... but - because it was against the Ravens - I smiled... Once, Todd Heap had (mildly) hurt his ankle on a last minute drive. The Ravens' QB (don't remember which one) was going to spike it, to stop the clock, and Heap bravely struggled back to the scrimmage line, grimacing... He made it, they snapped the ball and spiked it... and Porter absolutely buried Heap! It was rotten, dirty, fillthy cheap... but I LOVED it!!! Yeah, that made me an A-Hole that day, but we're talking about the Rats, right?

So, even though he took stupid penalties, got into needless fights, and could be a Me-First player at times... I still loved Porter. Damn straight, he better retire a Steeler!
Well said, Lemon. UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler 3056903510

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler   UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler Empty

Back to top Go down

UPDATED: Porter to retire a Steeler
Page 1 of 1