Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 pm

By Brian McIntyre
Around the League writer
Published: Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has yet to sign his restricted free agent tender. Wallace can no longer negotiate with other teams and the Steelers will not trade the deep-threat, leaving Wallace with just two options: Stay home or double his career earnings by signing the $2.742 million tender.

Former Steelers running back and Detroit native Jerome Bettis tells "NFL AM" that Wallace doesn't understand how the organization operates and that the best way to get a long-term deal would be to report to the team.

"I think when you go through the history of the Steelers, they do things a bit differently," Bettis said on Thursday. "And when you look at in relationship to their stars, they still stay one way. They're firm in their resolve and the way they do things. All you have to do is go back to Hines Ward.

"His situation, he had a holdout before his last contract. He wanted x-amount of dollars and they were one way. At the end of the day, they told Hines he needed to come into camp before they would consummate a deal. And Hines had to come in and he came in, and once he came in they were able to work the deal out.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000047990/article/jerome-bettis-mike-wallace-doesnt-get-steelers?module=HP11_headline_stack

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's starting to get ugly for Wallace now with the head coach and Steelers legends weighing in unfavorably towards him on his contract situation. It's only a matter of time before his current teammates start turning on him. Things can only get worse for Mike at this point and the sooner he figures that out and gets into camp the better off he'll be.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Let the hate flow through, lol

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:18 pm

I can actually say at this point, I'm shocked. I really truly believed this situation would have ended by now.

You can be quite certain that at least Antonio has been talking to him. He has to some understanding of the organization. One would even think that his agent might be prodding him to report.

I'm at the point where I'm beginning to wonder how bright this guy really is?

Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers We_bel10
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I sincerely hope that the only reason he hasn't shown up is to avoid injury and that he'll report once training camp is over.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm pretty sure he's holding out because they haven't paid him. I'll make myself believe that he's not there for injury purposes, though. Just to keep me from burning his jersey. Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers 1797695198

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Well, obviously he would be there if they paid him. But because they didn't, he doesn't want to get injured in meaningless practices and jeopardize his future payday.

Last edited by Dodens Grav on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Ralph Cindrich ‏@RalphCindrich
Heard Mike Wallace was working hard & in great shape at Tom Shaw's place. Missing this part of camp doesn't hurt anyone.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Heard Mike Wallace was working hard & in great shape at Tom Shaw's place. Missing this part of camp doesn't hurt anyone.

I don't buy that it isn't hurting when you have a new o-coordinator and offensive scheme to learn. I know he's had a playbook all along, but repetitions are invaluable to players otherwise why even do them at all? He needs to get the terminology and timing down on the field so I don't believe it when anyone says it isn't hurting. If it was the same system he's been playing in for a couple of years I could buy that, but it isn't. He needs to get into camp to get into a groove with Haley and the new system ASAP.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:

I don't buy that it isn't hurting when you have a new o-coordinator and offensive scheme to learn. I know he's had a playbook all along, but repetitions are invaluable to players otherwise why even do them at all? He needs to get the terminology and timing down on the field so I don't believe it when anyone says it isn't hurting. If it was the same system he's been playing in for a couple of years I could buy that, but it isn't. He needs to get into camp to get into a groove with Haley and the new system ASAP.

Even Polamalu has had full-participation in all off-season activities this year.

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Ben and Wallace already have a rhythm that can easily be rekindled between the end of training camp and the beginning of the regular season, and you can rest assured he would be on a crash course of everything he needs to know (which is probably not a whole hell of a lot compared to the responsibilities of most of the other players on the offense given that he's just a "one trick pony" according to message boards); assuming of course that he does show up after training camp.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Ben and Wallace already have a rhythm that can easily be rekindled between the end of training camp and the beginning of the regular season, and you can rest assured he would be on a crash course of everything he needs to know (which is probably not a whole hell of a lot compared to the responsibilities of most of the other players on the offense given that he's just a "one trick pony" according to message boards); assuming of course that he does show up after training camp.

But how is he supposed to become more than a "one-trick pony" and get his big pay day if he isn't learning the new offense and becoming more versatile through repetitions and practice in camp? Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers 2981382511 Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers 2893009358

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Quote :
he's just a "one trick pony" according to message boards

Tomlin's own mouth created that persona

Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers We_bel10
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm

My point was actually that he's not a one trick pony, but people that think he is shouldn't be so worried about "catching up" if all they think he does is run down the field every play. Players have also repeatedly said that the offense isn't much different at all outside of terminology...which Wallace can learn from the playbook.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
My point was actually that he's not a one trick pony, but people that think he is shouldn't be so worried about "catching up" if all they think he does is run down the field every play. Players have also repeatedly said that the offense isn't much different at all outside of terminology...which Wallace can learn from the playbook.

The most important and effective terminology change he will need to know is that "Arians" has changed to "Haley". Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers 312503953

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers   Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1