Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life Empty
PostSubject: JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life   JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life EmptyThu Sep 22, 2016 5:07 pm

JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life

HALL OF FAMER / PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Born: 1972

JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life Young-JB1

When I think about my childhood, one thing comes to mind: Love. We didn’t have much money, but we had love in our house. The neighborhood where I grew up in Detroit was pretty rough. Our house was tiny. Man, everybody’s house was tiny. In the kitchen, there was no space to move. I look back on it now and I realize how tight the conditions were. But when you’re a kid, you don’t think anything of it. I’d say it was crude but effective.

If you met me when I was six, I was a chubby, mischievous kid. My saving grace was that my mom was a bowling teacher and she taught me and my two older brothers to play when we were really young. Bowling kept us busy, and most importantly, inside. On the weekends, we traveled all over the state to bowling tournaments, and it kept us out of the streets. Our parents did a great job of shielding us from the reality of our neighborhood.

That mentality extended to my education. My dad worked two jobs and my mom worked full-time so that they could afford to send me to this private Lutheran school starting in the fourth grade. They were doing their best to keep me out of trouble. Only problem was, I had this itch…

When I was 10 years old, I got a whuppin’ that changed my life. It wasn’t from the streets, it was from my mother. See, I wanted to go play down at the arcade, but I was broke as a joke. I saw my mom’s purse sitting out on the kitchen table and I couldn’t help myself. In my mind, I “borrowed” 20 bucks.

Alright, I stole it.

Back then 20 bucks got you a whole ton of games. So I went down to the arcade and played all day. When I got home, my mom knew I stole the $20, and I got a beatin’ so bad. I needed it. Because it really helped me to understand that there are certain things you just don’t do. Stealing is one of them. In Detroit, at least in my household, you might be poor, but you better be honest. You work for what you get. It was a painful $20 lesson. Space Invaders wasn’t worth the whuppin’.

to read rest of article:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jerome-bettis-story-of-my-life/
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life   JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 5:02 am

That's some good stuff. Jerome was our Jim Brown, Earl Campbell. Thanks Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life   JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 11:55 am

My favorite Steeler. have both Home and away Bettis jerseys
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life   JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Steelcitian wrote:
My favorite Steeler. have both Home and away Bettis jerseys
He was the player that made me a fan. I just remember hearing that nickname- The Bus and watching him play. Made it easy for me to become a Steelers fan. Didn't hurt that my grandparents are all originally from Western Pa too and had my mom's dad telling me all sorts of stories about how the Rooneys ran a football team how you should run one. So glad that Jerome made it to the Hall but he's always been a Hall of Fame guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life   JEROME BETTIS -  Story of My Life Empty

Back to top Go down

JEROME BETTIS - Story of My Life
Page 1 of 1