Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLack of tight end depth could hurt run game  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game  Empty
PostSubject: Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game    Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game  EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:27 pm

By Ralph N. Paulk

The Steelers appeared set at tight end when camp began last month.

That’s before David Johnson tore an ACL in the preseason opener at Philadelphia.

But Johnson’s departure, coupled with the four-game suspension of Weslye Saunders, creates some semblance of uncertainty, particularly in the run game.

How much so will be seen at 8:10 p.m. Sunday against Indianapolis at Heinz Field.

Heath Miller is the anchor at tight end in a position slightly redefined by first-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

“I feel like there’s competition every year,” Miller said. “This year, it’s a little different because most of the guys haven’t had a significant amount of playing time on the team. There’s usually one or two of us who have a played quite a bit.”

With the exception of rookie David Paulson, two additions — Leonard Pope and Justin Peelle — are veterans with a combined 17 years experience. And Jamie McCoy spent the last season on the Steelers’ practice squad.

“My career has been mainly blocking,” said Peelle, who spent time in San Diego, Atlanta and San Francisco. “I’m not going to catch 200 balls.”

Tight ends coach James Daniel said it may be difficult to replace Johnson, at least as the lead blocker — a role he filled last season.

READ MORE: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2414045-85/tight-game-ends-steelers-johnson-miller-peelle-pope-run-coach?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
steelersfan87

Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game    Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game  EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:11 pm

With Mendenhall back on the 53, they may only carry 2 tight ends. Granted, I don't think that's very likely. I think the most likely move to account for Mendenhall will be to carry 5 WRs and 9 DBs. But it will be interesting to see if they open the roster with 3 tight ends or wait until Saunders returns from suspension. I'm not entirely sure of the rules in regard to suspended players, but I would assume that if they didn't intend to keep him, they would cut him before the season starts to avoid paying him, unless he's owed nothing until he returns from suspension.
Back to top Go down

Lack of tight end depth could hurt run game
Page 1 of 1