Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeOn the Steelers: Respect thine enemy Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

On the Steelers: Respect thine enemy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

On the Steelers: Respect thine enemy Empty
PostSubject: On the Steelers: Respect thine enemy   On the Steelers: Respect thine enemy EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 am

If this is the end for the great Ray Lewis, the Steelers are sorry to see him go. Bitter division rivals with the Baltimore Ravens for nearly the entire 17 years Lewis has played there, the Steelers nonetheless seemed to have enjoyed the experience. They were not happy to see him leave with perhaps a career-ending torn triceps muscle last week. "He's a trend-setter," said Troy Polamalu. "He was the prototype and what everybody wanted in their middle linebacker."

• • • •

The Steelers drafted Polamalu and Ike Taylor in 2003, and they played the season finale in Baltimore, where the Ravens put on a show to introduce their starting lineups before each game.

"One of my favorite moments ever," Polamalu said, "in my rookie year, watching the starting lineups. I said man, this is the 8th wonder of the world. It was really amazing. I remember Ike and I looked at each other and our jaws dropped."

He recalled another moment from the 2003 opener at Heinz Field. Linebacker Joey Porter could not play because a week earlier he was shot in the butt.

After tackling Amos Zereoue for no gain in the first quarter, Lewis mimicked Porter's patented celebration.

"He came out and did 'the boot,' and Joey went out there and almost fought him,'' Polamalu recalled almost gleefully.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who grew up in Michigan, wore a Ray Lewis jersey in high school.

"I knew the type of player he was and the intensity he always brings," Woodley said. "Even though he's our rival, you have to respect him because of the things he's done for a long period of time."

Woodley said even after the Steelers beat the Ravens in the AFC championship game in the 2008 season, Lewis offered him some advice about playing in the Super Bowl.

"That speaks about the guy's character right there," Woodley said. "We just beat them and we're going to the Super Bowl and he's telling me how important it is to go out there and win."

Said quarterback Charlie Batch, who has been in the league just two years fewer than Lewis, "He's one of the most respected players in probably the history of the league. Everyone would love to have him as a teammate."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-respect-thine-enemy-658522/#ixzz29vhXJWTg

On the Steelers: Respect thine enemy
Page 1 of 1