Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers still banged up in the backfield Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers still banged up in the backfield

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers still banged up in the backfield Empty
PostSubject: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 am

Posted by Mike Florio

The Steelers could need running back Jonathan Dwyer to carry the load again on Sunday, against the Redskins.

Running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman missed practice Wednesday. Mendenhall has an Achilles tendon injury; Redman is nursing an ankle problem.

Dwyer, who didn’t practice Wednesday for reasons unrelated to injury, rushed for 122 yards in a win over the Bengals.

Also missing practice for the Steelers on Wednesday were tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle), safety Troy Polamalu (calf), and linebacker Jason Worilds (illness).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/steelers-still-banged-up-in-the-backfield/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 am

I think Dwyer's production is merely the result of defenses and defensive coordinators not knowing what to expect. It seems once these guys get a few starts under there belt the production becomes average. It'd be nice to see the Bus Dwyer put together two straight 100 yard performance's.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 am

bayz101 wrote:
I think Dwyer's production is merely the result of defenses and defensive coordinators not knowing what to expect. It seems once these guys get a few starts under there belt the production becomes average. It'd be nice to see the Bus Dwyer put together two straight 100 yard performance's.
I read a good analysis somewhere, but I can't remember where. Even with Wallace's drops, he still commanded attention, which opened up the middle for Brown. The Bengals dropped their linebackers back to help defend against Brown. This opened things up for Dwyer. These are the subtle things that we don't always pay attention to. All we see is Dwyer gaining large chucks of yards, but we have to look at why. If defenses commit to shutting down Wallace and Brown, that opens up room for the running game. Bring up the linebackers to stop the run, then Brown will eat them alive across the middle. Bring in safety help to account for Brown, and Wallace will torch them. This is what having both Wallace and Brown bring to the offense ... they're important even if they're not catching passes.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 am

I watched Wallace exclusively on two different drives, one scoring drive, and he was in man coverage. The CB on him stayed out in front of him, and when Wallace got open, it was because his CB got too far off. I understand the LB zone coverage though.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:42 am

bayz101 wrote:
I watched Wallace exclusively on two different drives, one scoring drive, and he was in man coverage. The CB on him stayed out in front of him, and when Wallace got open, it was because his CB got too far off. I understand the LB zone coverage though.
I'd have to see film. Watching on TV, you can't always see the coverage. I have a hard time believing that Wallace got that much one-on-one coverage and Ben didn't take a few shots deep. Remember the Colts game last year? When Ben sees no help deep, he starts drooling.

Steelers still banged up in the backfield Bentongue1

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:48 am

I seen it several times on two separate drives. Occasionally a safety would stick around in several receiver sets, but a lot of the time it was just a corner, and the corner won. The few times the corner lost the battle Wallace dropped it, and we eventually had to get Wallace involved by throwing underneath and hitting him in screens.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers still banged up in the backfield   Steelers still banged up in the backfield Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers still banged up in the backfield
Page 1 of 1