Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kornbread

Kornbread

Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment Empty
PostSubject: Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment   Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 am

An attempt at an inside joke by former NFL quarterback and Fox studio analyst Terry Bradshaw during the Fox halftime show on Sunday has caused a bit of a controversy.

While describing Miami Dolphins running back Reggie Bush's remarkable 18-yard touchdown run against the Indianapolis Colts, a play where Bush made half the Colts defense look completely silly, Bradshaw took a shot at his colleague, former NFL head coach Jimmy Johnson.

"Look at this, Jimmy," said Bradshaw, "like he was chasing that bucket of chicken that the wind was blowing the other day."

Because Bush is African-American, many have jumped to the conclusion that the mention of a bucket of chicken means there was a racial element to Bradshaw's comment. In the video, Fox studio host Curt Menefee, who is African-American, audibly groans and asks, "What are we going to do with him?"

[More NFL: Watch: Chuck Pagano gives truly inspiring speech at Colts game]

On Monday morning, Menefee took to Twitter to say that Bradshaw's comment was actually an inside joke at Fox, where Johnson's love of fried chicken has apparently reached a mythical status, and that this whole affair is much ado about nothing.

Hopefully after a night of sleep, people's ears are working. TB said nothing racist about @reggie_bush, his comment was about @jimmyjohnson.

— Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012

Lot of wasted energy on folks trying to make something that never occurred a reality. All cuz we need controversy. #saddereveryday — Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012

While the focus of online reports has been on the "chasing that bucket of chicken" part of the comment, the first part ("Look at this, Jimmy") and third part ("that the wind was blowing the other day") is a good indicator that the comment, while ill-advised, was intended for Johnson, not Bush. Was it funny? To Bradshaw, Johnson and some of the people in the Fox studios, perhaps. To the thousands of people watching at home who for some reason hadn't turned the channel to another game or the NFL RedZone Channel, probably not. The biggest ramification from this incident will likely be the bosses at Fox telling Bradshaw to leave the funny to Rob Riggle.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

On 12/02/2012 the Steelers beat the Ravens with their 3rd string QB! Charlie Batch! AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment   Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 am

By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – 17 hours ago

An attempt at an inside joke by former NFL quarterback and Fox studio analyst Terry Bradshaw during the Fox halftime show on Sunday has caused a bit of a controversy.

While describing Miami Dolphins running back Reggie Bush's remarkable 18-yard touchdown run against the Indianapolis Colts, a play where Bush made half the Colts defense look completely silly, Bradshaw took a shot at his colleague, former NFL head coach Jimmy Johnson.

"Look at this, Jimmy," said Bradshaw, "like he was chasing that bucket of chicken that the wind was blowing the other day."

Because Bush is African-American, many have jumped to the conclusion that the mention of a bucket of chicken means there was a racial element to Bradshaw's comment. In the video, Fox studio host Curt Menefee, who is African-American, audibly groans and asks, "What are we going to do with him?"'

(Read More and Watch Video:) http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fox-terry-bradshaw-causes-stir-bucket-chicken-192645262--nfl.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While it may have been a bad choice of words given the timing and people involved, it certainly sounds like there was no racial intent to the comment. You can hear that in the full comment when he addresses JJ about it. It would have made me do a double-take, but after hearing it fully and the explanation from Menefee, it seems harmless. People getting overly sensitive as usual about some innocuous inside banter is all.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into TB's Jimmy the Greek moment. No

Back to top Go down
Kornbread

Kornbread

PostSubject: Re: Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment   Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

Because Bush is African-American, many have jumped to the conclusion that the mention of a bucket of chicken means there was a racial element to Bradshaw's comment. In the video, Fox studio host Curt Menefee, who is African-American, audibly groans and asks, "What are we going to do with him?"'

(Read More and Watch Video:) http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fox-terry-bradshaw-causes-stir-bucket-chicken-192645262--nfl.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While it may have been a bad choice of words given the timing and people involved, it certainly sounds like there was no racial intent to the comment. You can hear that in the full comment when he addresses JJ about it. It would have made me do a double-take, but after hearing it fully and the explanation from Menefee, it seems harmless. People getting overly sensitive as usual about some innocuous inside banter is all.

I think we double posted this one...your welcome to take mine down if you wish sir.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

On 12/02/2012 the Steelers beat the Ravens with their 3rd string QB! Charlie Batch! AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment   Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:33 am

Kornbread wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

I think we double posted this one...your welcome to take mine down if you wish sir.

I'll do a merge and you'll get top credit. Thanks, Korn!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment   Fox’s Terry Bradshaw causes stir with ‘bucket of chicken’ comment Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1