Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRoethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   Empty
PostSubject: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 4:34 am

Ask Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and his assistants how they determine when an injured player is ready to return, and they’ll offer this: “We go by what we see.”

Here’s what Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley are seeing of Ben Roethlisberger in practice: Not much.

Here’s what Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau are seeing of Troy Polamalu: Quite a lot but not enough for him to play full time.

The Steelers went through an unusual practice Thursday in which quarterback Charlie Batch again ran the first-team offense but most eyes were on Roethlisberger, who still hasn’t ruled himself out of playing Sunday in Baltimore.

Roethlisberger threw lightly Wednesday, and, according to Haley, he worked with teammates only during the front end of practice Thursday.

The problem: Roethlisberger still isn’t pain-free, still isn’t throwing deep and apparently still isn’t recovered from a complicated upper-body injury.

Roethlisberger is healing not only from a posterior dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint and a dislocated rib but also, he was told by doctors, an underlying fracture in his upper chest that requires time for ossification, the formation of new bone.

Before ossification began, a piece of his rib could have punctured the aorta — the body’s largest artery — and created a life-threatening condition, Roethlisberger was told.

Doctors who are not consulting with Roethlisberger but who treat patients with similar conditions said the aorta is more likely to be threatened by a fracture, not a dislocation.

Roethlisberger’s doctors have not publicly discussed the injury, and the team has explained it only as a shoulder injury. Tomlin said he considers the SC joint and rib problems to be a single injury.

When he returns, Roethlisberger will wear a heavier shoulder pad reinforced by Kevlar and the flak jacket he always wears, but they can’t totally prevent another injury.

“I can play through a lot of pain,” Roethlisberger said. “But mostly it’s just, to me, ability. Can I make a long throw? Can I put a lot of zip on the ball, throw it really hard before people like (Ravens safety) Ed Reed and defenders can get to the ball? Because if I can’t, then I’m not putting this team in the best situation to win the game.”

Because Roethlisberger still isn’t airing out his passes, Haley talked as if it’s almost a done deal Batch will start, despite throwing three interceptions and missing receivers during the 20-14 loss in Cleveland on Sunday.

“When you talk about a quarterback who hasn’t played a whole lot — to get an opportunity and then get a second opportunity, a second full week of practice, I would expect him to be better,” Haley said.

Polamalu has waited nearly two months for his torn right calf to heal, and the full practices he went through Wednesday and Thursday were his first since he was reinjured Oct. 7.

Polamalu is encouraged to be back — “I’m very excited,” he said — but he still requires extensive post-practice therapy.

“I don’t think he will be able to be out there every snap, but he is going to be able to take a significant role,” LeBeau said. “He has been idle for a good while. ... He is in good shape. His aerobic conditioning is good, but I think his football conditioning needs some development.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3040006-85/roethlisberger-polamalu-practice-injury-haley-lot-isn-steelers-tomlin-thursday#ixzz2DhGzfXkU
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

fer69

Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 am

I dont think we can beat the ratbirds with batch as our Qb Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   2913999526

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

fer69 wrote:
I dont think we can beat the ratbirds with batch as our Qb Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   2913999526
Sure we can. We would have beaten them last time if it wasn't for a punt return for a touchdown. Our defense held them to 3 points (not counting the 3 they got when Wallace fumbled in our own territory). And how many times did the Browns drive on our defense? I don't think the Browns offense got past the 50 one time all game on their own. All their points came as a result of the turnovers on our side of the field. Batch and the offense don't have to win the game. They just have to not lose it like they did against the Browns. And that wasn't all Batch's fault. Even with Ben, we're not going to win many games if our running backs put the ball on the carpet 5 times.

Against the Browns, Tomlin and/or Haley refused to allow Batch to throw early. The Browns knew they were going to run and were stacking the line. Our running backs were getting hammered and coughing up the ball. Then in the second half, they decided to have Batch start throwing the ball 20 and 30 yards down the field. That was horrible coaching. They didn't allow him to get into a groove early, and then they expected him to sling the ball all over the field in the second half.

What they need to do against the Ravens is NOT come out and be predictable with the run. Have Batch get into a groove with a lot of short, easy passes mixed in with the runs. Control the ball and play defense. If they do that, they can (and will) win.

We didn't lose the last two games because of Lefty and Batch. Coaching cost us those games.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 am

Would have, could have. None of that matters. I was told we could win on the strength of our defense and make the playoffs without Ben, and we've lost every game without him thus far. In fact, we NEED to beat the Chargers to have any hope of making it, and guess who's expected to be back at that point? The teams most valuable player. I think the argument that we can make the playoffs without Ben and on the strength of our defense alone has already been mostly debunked, and a loss Suday will simply cement it. I don't think our running backs fumble four times with the team leader at center, and I think we need Ben back for the Chargers game if we have any hope of making the playoffs.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 am

bayz101 wrote:
Would have, could have. None of that matters. I was told we could win on the strength of our defense and make the playoffs without Ben, and we've lost every game without him thus far. In fact, we NEED to beat the Chargers to have any hope of making it, and guess who's expected to be back at that point? The teams most valuable player. I think the argument that we can make the playoffs without Ben and on the strength of our defense alone has already been mostly debunked, and a loss Suday will simply cement it. I don't think our running backs fumble four times with the team leader at center, and I think we need Ben back for the Chargers game if we have any hope of making the playoffs.
Believe what you want to believe. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 am

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Believe what you want to believe. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   230572241
Two losses without Ben, and the possibility of losing ALL games without Ben still in play this Suday. I don't think i'm crazy in thinking that we CAN'T win without Ben considering our offense has fallen apart without him.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:40 am

bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Two losses without Ben, and the possibility of losing ALL games without Ben still in play this Suday. I don't think i'm crazy in thinking that we CAN'T win without Ben considering our offense has fallen apart without him.

Yes, you're crazy if you think we CAN'T win.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:53 am

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

Yes, you're crazy if you think we CAN'T win.
Well, obviously, any given Suday. I look at how the offense has struggled without him and reasonably come to the conclusion that getting to the playoffs on the strength of our defense alone is probably asking too much.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 am

Wallace108 wrote:
fer69 wrote:
Sure we can. We would have beaten them last time if it wasn't for a punt return for a touchdown. Our defense held them to 3 points (not counting the 3 they got when Wallace fumbled in our own territory). And how many times did the Browns drive on our defense? I don't think the Browns offense got past the 50 one time all game on their own. All their points came as a result of the turnovers on our side of the field. Batch and the offense don't have to win the game. They just have to not lose it like they did against the Browns. And that wasn't all Batch's fault. Even with Ben, we're not going to win many games if our running backs put the ball on the carpet 5 times.

Against the Browns, Tomlin and/or Haley refused to allow Batch to throw early. The Browns knew they were going to run and were stacking the line. Our running backs were getting hammered and coughing up the ball. Then in the second half, they decided to have Batch start throwing the ball 20 and 30 yards down the field. That was horrible coaching. They didn't allow him to get into a groove early, and then they expected him to sling the ball all over the field in the second half.

What they need to do against the Ravens is NOT come out and be predictable with the run. Have Batch get into a groove with a lot of short, easy passes mixed in with the runs. Control the ball and play defense. If they do that, they can (and will) win.

We didn't lose the last two games because of Lefty and Batch. Coaching cost us those games.

The problem is that the Ravens' offense is a whole different animal at home and we will get the best they have this week. They are pedestrian at best on the road and that's what we saw in Pittsburgh. I don't foresee that kind of game from them offensively this time. They WILL score more points this time. I believe our defense can keep us in the game, but only if the offense can produce some sustained drives and not turn the football over like they are trying to set a Guinness world record like last time.

I really hope Charlie has knocked some rust off and can get something going this week and that our RBs can find the handle on the ball. If not, we're in for a loooooong game.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
The problem is that the Ravens' offense is a whole different animal at home and we will get the best they have this week. They are pedestrian at best on the road and that's what we saw in Pittsburgh. I don't foresee that kind of game from them offensively this time. They WILL score more points this time. I believe our defense can keep us in the game, but only if the offense can produce some sustained drives and not turn the football over like they are trying to set a Guinness world record like last time.

I really hope Charlie has knocked some rust off and can get something going this week and that our RBs can find the handle on the ball. If not, we're in for a loooooong game.

I agree with that assessment.
-----------------------------

As I always used to argue during the Arians debates ... coaches have to put the players in a position to succeed. In the first Ravens game, Tomlin didn't put the offense in a position to succeed by leaving Lefty in there with two broken ribs. He put them in a position to fail, and they did.

During the Browns game, they also put the offense in a position to fail. I kept yelling at the TV for them to PASS the ball on either first or second down. They were being way too predictable. There were plays where the Browns were putting 9 and even 10 players up near the line because they KNEW we were running. And then, of course, they expected Batch to win the game in the second half by throwing the ball downfield. And then let's factor in the insane shuffling of the running backs, which has been commented on all week. So once again in the Browns game, the coaches put the offense in a position to fail, and they did.

The bottom line is that we are more than capable of winning with Batch. But the coaches have to put the offense in a position to succeed, not a position to fail. Whether or not we win Sunday has more to do with the coaches than Batch.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 pm

We need a faceless motivator. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94297

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back    Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back   Empty

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger struggles to throw deep; Polamalu encouraged he’ll be back
Page 1 of 1