Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBrown's new contract vs. performance Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Brown's new contract vs. performance

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Brown's new contract vs. performance Empty
PostSubject: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Ok I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Over the last few games, Brown hasn't been as productive as a player making his salary ought to be having. And yet he continually has gotten a pass where as the moment Wallace drops a pass, it's sit the bum, fire the bum, etc.

Now I won't lie I've been as equally hard on Wallace's lack of production (or perceived lack of production), especially for a player looking to make a huge contract at the end of the season.

Now for Brown. The man signed a 5 year contract worth what 45-50 million? And what did we get today. A sure catch, dropped. A lazy effort on a loose ball in the endzone that ended in a chargers TD.

But why aren't we clamoring to bench him? Surely, he should be producing much better than he is, especially considering he just signed an nice 5 year extension.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Brown's new contract vs. performance 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:14 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Ok I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Over the last few games, Brown hasn't been as productive as a player making his salary ought to be having. And yet he continually has gotten a pass where as the moment Wallace drops a pass, it's sit the bum, fire the bum, etc.

Now I won't lie I've been as equally hard on Wallace's lack of production (or perceived lack of production), especially for a player looking to make a huge contract at the end of the season.

Now for Brown. The man signed a 5 year contract worth what 45-50 million? And what did we get today. A sure catch, dropped. A lazy effort on a loose ball in the endzone that ended in a chargers TD.

But why aren't we clamoring to bench him? Surely, he should be producing much better than he is, especially considering he just signed an nice 5 year extension.

The biggest thing you could argue with Brown is his lack of touchdowns when compared to Wallace, but then you'd have to factor in the fact that Wallace is Ben's first read as a first string receiver, and a second read is typically a taller guy like Heath or Plex (when he's in the game). If Brown we're the first string receiver, or the first guy on the depth chart, i'm confident that statistic would be up to par with all the #1 guys in the league. Other than that, there's not much to say. Brown was ahead of Wallace in yards before his injury, and he just returned from injury. Brown hasn't been perfect this year, but Wallace NEEDS to prove himself and hasn't. I'd like to see what BOTH of them can do in the playoffs. That's all that matters to me, honestly.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:25 pm

But is Brown living up to his contract? Basically $10 million a year, and he's not making clutch plays either. IMO, if you're going to get paid that much money then you need to come out and produce.

Brown, especially lately, has had a few mental lapses. It's time he start being called out for his lack of production as well.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Brown's new contract vs. performance 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 am

stlrtruck wrote:
But is Brown living up to his contract? Basically $10 million a year, and he's not making clutch plays either. IMO, if you're going to get paid that much money then you need to come out and produce.

Brown, especially lately, has had a few mental lapses. It's time he start being called out for his lack of production as well.

As I said, he was outplaying the number one receiver as a number two guy before his injury. If he wouldn't have got injured, he'd probably still be ahead. Production shouldn't be a question for a number two guy who was outperforming Wallace before he messed up his ankle.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 am

But, as for the touchdown, Brown looked like he wanted to run it out of the EndZone. It certainly wasn't his intention to give them a touchdown, and if Miller makes his block, it never even happens.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 am

I don't know. If Brown grabs the ball and throws it out, he's the hero. If he drops on it for a safety, people will complain that he could have tried to throw it away. Instead, he tried to grab it, and failed. He found the happy medium. Brown's new contract vs. performance 3798349058

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 am

I know most of you are going to disagree with me, but this team lack leadership.

They looked flat and dull today. I don't care what anyone says. Guys like Farrior and Ward use to fire up the team. I'm not saying Ben isn't a good leader, but he stands on the sidelines looking disgusted whereas even Rivers was showing fire. I'm also not implying that we should have kept Ward and Farrior, I'm just commenting that those two personalities provided key leadership --- something I really think is missing this year.

They don't have anyone on that team that is able to rouse the players the way Farrior and Ward did. Even Clark commented that the team seemed lifeless today.

We need to draft a hot head.

Brown's new contract vs. performance We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brown's new contract vs. performance   Brown's new contract vs. performance Empty

Back to top Go down

Brown's new contract vs. performance
Page 1 of 1