Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRoethlisberger apologizes to coaches Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches

Go down 
+5
SteelersYak
vasteeler
Wallace108
Bays
stlrtruck
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches Empty
PostSubject: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 4:09 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-apologizes-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley-comments-121912

Quote :
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has apologized to offensive coordinator Todd Haley for his comments following a 27-24 overtime loss to Dallas last Sunday.

Roethlisberger took Haley to task over the team's inability to feature tight end Heath Miller in the second half and wondered why the Steelers didn't stay in the no-huddle offense. The quarterback says he was frustrated after Pittsburgh (7-7) lost for the fourth time in five games and that he was unable to keep his emotions under control.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Ben's apologized. Maybe now he'll learn that ANYTHING you say, even with GOOD intentions, will be blown completely out of proportion and be MADE into a story by the media. His best bet is to just nod.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:04 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Ben's apologized. Maybe now he'll learn that ANYTHING you say, even with GOOD intentions, will be blown completely out of proportion and be MADE into a story by the media. His best bet is to just nod.
Whew!! I'm glad to hear that the media is just making stuff up again. There for a minute I thought our offense was struggling, and we were 7-7 and at risk of not making the playoffs. It's good to know that the media is just making stuff up and all is well. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1227708691

And I just read that we've lost 4 out of our last 5 games. That's gotta be a lie as well. I knew there's no way the Steelers could lose 4 out of 5 games. And I knew there's no way they could have any drama on the team. That kind of stuff happens to other teams, but definitely NOT to the Steelers. DAMN YOU LYING MEDIA!!! Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 2625562446

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:22 pm

ive watched the interview and i dont think he really said anything that he needed to apologize for Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 2087824411

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:23 pm

vasteeler wrote:
ive watched the interview and i dont think he really said anything that he needed to apologize for Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 2087824411

Shh! Ben bad! Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 3798349058

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:27 pm

If Ben thought apologizing would put an end to the media bullshit, he's absolutely wrong. Now they'll be out to make his words into something totally opposite even MORE often. It'd be best for him if he just nods and shakes his head from here on out. If he doesn't, he'll be made out to be immature and a bad leader by most, if not all, beat writers and reporters from here on out. I mean, I suppose he's already doomed considering his apology hit #1 on several news outlets these evening.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

bayz101 wrote:
If Ben thought apologizing would put an end to the media bullshit, he's absolutely wrong. Now they'll be out to make his words into something totally opposite even MORE often. It'd be best for him if he just nods and shakes his head from here on out. If he doesn't, he'll be made out to be immature and a bad leader by most, if not all, beat writers and reporters from here on out. I mean, I suppose he's already doomed considering his apology hit #1 on several news outlets these evening.
During the offseason when Dulac first reported that there was a possibility Arians might not be returning, I could tell by the words he used that he had a reliable source and wasn't just giving his opinion. I was told by a former member here that basically I had no idea what I was talking about and Dulac was just making shit up. We saw who was right.

Look, I'm just an average football fan. I don't know any more than anyone else here ... I just offer my opinion like the rest of you. But it's safe to say that I know a thing or two about the media and how they report. You can believe whatever you want, but I'm a journalist, and when it comes to the media, I'm offering more than just my opinion. I have 16 years of experience.

I consider Dave Bryan at Steelers Depot to be one of the most knowledgeable and objective Steelers bloggers on the Net. So if you don't believe me, then listen to him:

Quote :
I think that it is clear that there remains a disconnect between Roethlisberger and Haley and if you can't see that I would suggest removing your homer glasses.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:07 pm

More wisdom from Dave Bryan on the subject.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/festivus-airing-of-the-grievances-on-the-southside-not-necessarily-a-bad-thing/

Quote :
Frustration? Sure, without a doubt, but like it or not there is still some disconnect there. The same disconnect that started after Bruce Arians "retired" and Haley was named as the new offensive coordinator.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm

Here's what Jesus Christ thinks of the subject:

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches Crying+Baby+Natural+High+for+Some+Moms

Proof of friendly relationship:

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 940x

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches Best-friends-grades-lessons-musics-posts-Favim.com-425520

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 172358698_b0259eb1cb_o

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1304072100_1304047163_1

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Well, no amount of reasoning and respectful debate can refute a picture of a baby crying or a GIF of a woman deep throating a hot dog. So I guess you win. Go Steelers! Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 792589548

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Well, no amount of reasoning and respectful debate can refute a picture of a baby crying or a GIF of a woman deep throating a hot dog. So I guess you win. Go Steelers! Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 792589548

Hey, you cited wisdom, and the first person I thought to call up was Jesus himself. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1797695198

The crying baby symbolizes Ben, and most of the media, and the pictures below that are pure proof they have a healthy relationship. No, i'm not talking about marriage counseling, either. Steelers nation actually believes these two should have a healthy relationship, damn-near bordering marriage itself. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1797695198

Ben better sign the pre-nup. I hear Todd's in it for the money. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1378315869

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Hey, you cited wisdom, and the first person I thought to call up was Jesus himself. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1797695198

The crying baby symbolizes Ben, and most of the media, and the pictures below that are pure proof they have a healthy relationship. No, i'm not talking about marriage counseling, either. Steelers nation actually believes these two should have a healthy relationship, damn-near bordering marriage itself. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1797695198

Ben better sign the pre-nup. I hear Todd's in it for the money. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1378315869
Someone brought up the fact that Noll and Bradshaw didn't exactly have a great relationship, and they won four Super Bowls together. I honestly don't care if Ben and Haley like each other. They can hate each others guts for all I care. But they have to work well together as a coach and leader of the offense. But here's what I see right now ... Despite all our talent, we're 7-7. Our record can't be placed solely at the feet of the offense, because we know the defense has its issues as well. But lets just focus on the offense. If you remember during the offseason, one of my fears was that Ben's attitude and refusal to fully buy into Haley's system could negatively affect the younger players. How can they buy into and trust the system and play at their highest level when the leader of the team isn't willing to buy into the system? And what have we seen this season? Wallace has regressed. Sanders has regressed. And even Brown has regressed. Is it because of poor leadership from Ben? Maybe, maybe not. But I provided evidence of how Bubby Brister's complaining about the offense had a negative effect on his teammates. It's quite possible that Ben's attitude and feelings toward Haley's offense has had a negative effect on his teammates as well.

Here's some excerpts from a 1990 article about Brister. See if you notice any similarities:

Quote :
New offense, old results for dazed Steelers

Throughout the preseason, Brister complained that Walton, the former head coach of the New York Jets who is now the Steelers' offensive coordinator, was installing an overly complicated system that was depriving the team of some of its best weapons.

Steelers fans are fond of Brister's big-play ability, of how he makes something out of nothing. He is a scrambler and bomber, but now he is being asked to "think-and-dink."

Walton does not like to leave much to chance and improvisation.

Brister's favorite pass routes are the deep ones to Louis Lipps, and the quarterback has griped about Walton limiting these.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...-steelers.html

Brister didn't like Walton's offense, and he openly criticized it. And it had a negative effect on other players. As Bouchette stated:

Quote :
Bubby Brister didn't react well to Walton's offense and some teammates took their cue from him.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116376-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-51512

Ben didn't react well to Haley's offense. Heck, he didn't react well to Haley being hired ... or Arians being fired. Have some of his teammates taken their cue from him? Could that help explain all the drops, fumbles, mistakes, and overall poor execution throughout the season? It's really not farfetched. And we've seen it happen before.

So where we stand right now is that Ben had a meeting with Tomlin and apologized to him, Rooney, and Haley. Everything is hunky dory. They're all BFFs, and there's nothing to worry about. It's all just the media overreacting and making something out of nothing. All this sounds familiar.

Quote :

Brister backs off criticism of system

PITTSBURGH - A chastened Bubby Brister retreated Tuesday from his battle with the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching staff.

For the past month, Brister, the Steelers' starting quarterback, has been complaining about the strategies of new offensive coordinator Joe Walton.

Brister said Tuesday, "I'm not going to react. I've got to get better. For the most part, what he said is true."

He insisted he is not feuding with Walton, who was fired last season as head coach of the New York Jets.

"I like Joe; we get along good," Brister said. "I think what we're doing, we just have to believe in it and execute."

Sounding like the confident leader he was last season, when he took the Steelers to the playoffs and a wild-card victory over the Oilers, Brister said, "I'm going to get our offense in gear and get us going, get us fired up.

"It's my fault right now, and I'll take the blame and take the heat off everybody, and I'll see you Sunday."

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1990_728489/brister-backs-off-criticism-of-system.html

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 am

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 am

I agree Wally.

Let's face it -- they fired Ben's best friend and a coach that basically allowed him to run the offense as he pleased. I think we have a somewhat disgruntled QB, and we have no one, and I'll say it ad nauseum --- no one to step into that badly needed leadership role. I got flack from people when I said that we were going to miss Hines and Farrior not just for their play, but even more importantly, their leadership. I got into an argument with someone that said all that was important was young and healthy players. I don't care what anyone says -- there is no one on that field that can fire up the players. So that's suppose to be the coaches job, but you still need that leadership in the lockeroom. I think Ben is too pissed off to be that leader. And frankly, I'm disappointed that Woodley didn't fill Farrior's shoes.

Thank God for Miller and Suisham this season, or we could have counted even more losses. I have to hand it to Charlie, too. He wanted that game in Baltimore and it showed.

This is all too bad, because we have some of the most talented players in the NFL. All I know is something has to change by next season, or I believe that we are headed for a long dry spell.

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches We_bel10
Back to top Go down
burgboy41
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 6:57 am

Disgruntled QB? Mistreated and misrepresented QB?
No, what we have is a spoiled little brat, who, when he doesn't get his own way, sulks and/or acts out and/or just takes what he wants anyway (ask the girls in Nevada and Georgia).
This is not new. Ben has been a jerk since he learned how to throw a football (oh, and he still has some learning to do).
I find it amazing that EVERYONE in the media is wrong and Ben is right. Gimme a break.
Grow up, Ben. You're not in Finley anymore.
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 am

burgboy41 wrote:
No, what we have is a spoiled little brat, who, when he doesn't get his own way, sulks and/or acts out and/or just takes what he wants anyway (ask the girls in Nevada and Georgia).
This is not new. Ben has been a jerk since he learned how to throw a football (oh, and he still has some learning to do).
I find it amazing that EVERYONE in the media is wrong and Ben is right. Gimme a break.

Wow.... sounds like you don't like Ben. Don't you think its a little too much by bringing up the accusations?

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 am

I understand why a lot of fans are complete homers regarding Ben. Not only is he our QB, but you've got the rest of the football world constantly hammering him, especially with the rape allegations. So Steeler Nation is going to defend him no matter what (except for burgboy Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1664291743)

If fans wanna be homers, that's fine. That's their right. There's nothing wrong with it. But I always try my best to look at things objectively. Here's some observations and a few questions:

*Our patchwork offensive line was able to protect old and slow Charlie Batch, but as soon as Ben comes back, he's scrambling for his life again? How much of the O-line's failures are Ben's fault?

*There's been tons of reports in the past about Ben being a complete jackass around fans. And even his own teammates weren't exactly crazy about him before. He had a very rocky relationship with Ward, and until this day, I think Ward still doesn't like him. After his second rape allegation, Ben said himself that he wasn't a good teammate and leader, and he promised to change. Now, as we all know ... it's not easy for people to just suddenly change their personalities. Are we expected to believe that Ben completely changed? Why is it so hard to believe that his old personality hasn't kicked in this season and he's being selfish again? Why is it impossible to believe that his attitude can be affecting the entire team?

Don't wanna believe that there's a problem? Just wanna keep thinking that the media is making stuff up? Would you believe Jerome Bettis? Here's what The Bus had to say on Mike and Mike:

Quote :
"You know, it's clearly a problem. It's been a problem all year. They've been able to mask the problem, I think partly because of Ben's injury and other issues they've had to deal with. But it's always been there. ... I think as this year goes on, and as the losses start to mount, there's a frustration there that you're going to start to see more and more, so if they can kind of get through and get a couple more wins, I think it can die down, but I think you're going to start to see this, if they can't get to the playoffs, I think it's going to explode right here in the offseason."

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8754574

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 am

I'm in no way a homer (I'm not saying that your calling me one either). I know how Ben used to be. I know he treated people poorly, was cocky, and wasn't a good team leader. I know he wasn't a good person, but in my eyes he's changed and I think its pretty obvious. You can tell in interviews and such. In all reality, I don't think he had anything to apologize for in his interview after the game. He said one thing about one play and the media decided to jump on it. Too bad ESPN and NFL Network report the Steelers; I really wish they didn't. They always make things worse. I think that people who says he cries are being over dramatic in my opinion. By the way, if you feel his old personality has come back, what evidence do you have? One more thing, I know that you work in the media and I'm not trying to insult you, but I really don't trust anything that the media has to say.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:55 am

steelerdude15 wrote:
I'm in no way a homer (I'm not saying that your calling me one either). I know how Ben used to be. I know he treated people poorly, was cocky, and wasn't a good team leader. I know he wasn't a good person, but in my eyes he's changed and I think its pretty obvious. You can tell in interviews and such. In all reality, I don't think he had anything to apologize for in his interview after the game. He said one thing about one play and the media decided to jump on it. Too bad ESPN and NFL Network report the Steelers; I really wish they didn't. They always make things worse. I think that people who says he cries are being over dramatic in my opinion. By the way, if you feel his old personality has come back, what evidence do you have? One more thing, I know that you work in the media and I'm not trying to insult you, but I really don't trust anything that the media has to say.

It's not just about this one incident. I can go back to the days, weeks, and months after Arians was fired and find quote after quote of Ben taking veiled jabs at Haley and showing signs of being disgruntled.

Everyone uses the word "media" likes it's one big organization and they all think and act the same way. That's not the case at all. And don't think of sports reporters as Fox News or MSNBC. They're not out there manipulating their reports to further an agenda. And just like with any profession, you're going to find great reporters, good reporters, and bad reporters. Overall, the guys at the Trib do a much better job than the guys at the Post-Gazette.

One thing you have to realize about sports reporters (I'm talking about local beat writers) ... they like to stay on good terms with players and coaches. It's important because if a player or coach cuts them off, then they're screwed. So if anything, a reporter is going to be more KIND than he should be. If you're a reporter and you start writing nasty things about a player or coach because of some hidden agenda you have ... you're going to get cut off. You're not going to get interviews. You're not going to get scoops. They're not going to return your calls. Did you notice that when Arians was still here, very few of the reporters ever said anything negative about him? Then as soon as he was gone, all this stuff started coming out.

If there was just one reporter saying something, then I might believe that he has a problem with the player or coach and it's affecting his writing. But when you have EVERY beat writer from EVERY news outlet in Pittsburgh saying the same thing, they're not just making it up. That's not the way it works. And if you have a national reporter (like from ESPN) saying something contradictory to what the local guys are saying ... believe what the local guys are saying. They're more in the know.

EDIT: One more thing I want to mention. Reporters get told stuff all the time off the record. So even though they can't report it, it can affect how they report and what they say. It's an interesting dynamic.

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
steelerdude15 wrote:

It's not just about this one incident. I can go back to the days, weeks, and months after Arians was fired and find quote after quote of Ben taking veiled jabs at Haley and showing signs of being disgruntled.

Everyone uses the word "media" likes it's one big organization and they all think and act the same way. That's not the case at all. And don't think of sports reporters as Fox News or MSNBC. They're not out there manipulating their reports to further an agenda. And just like with any profession, you're going to find great reporters, good reporters, and bad reporters. Overall, the guys at the Trib do a much better job than the guys at the Post-Gazette.

One thing you have to realize about sports reporters (I'm talking about local beat writers) ... they like to stay on good terms with players and coaches. It's important because if a player or coach cuts them off, then they're screwed. So if anything, a reporter is going to be more KIND than he should be. If you're a reporter and you start writing nasty things about a player or coach because of some hidden agenda you have ... you're going to get cut off. You're not going to get interviews. You're not going to get scoops. They're not going to return your calls. Did you notice that when Arians was still here, very few of the reporters ever said anything negative about him? Then as soon as he was gone, all this stuff started coming out.

If there was just one reporter saying something, then I might believe that he has a problem with the player or coach and it's affecting his writing. But when you have EVERY beat writer from EVERY news outlet in Pittsburgh saying the same thing, they're not just making it up. That's not the way it works. And if you have a national reporter (like from ESPN) saying something contradictory to what the local guys are saying ... believe what the local guys are saying. They're more in the know.

EDIT: One more thing I want to mention. Reporters get told stuff all the time off the record. So even though they can't report it, it can affect how they report and what they say. It's an interesting dynamic.

Thank you for your take on things, I really do appreciate it. I also agree that the Trib is MUCH better than the Post-Gazette. I only go to them and 93.7 The Fan for Pittsburgh sports news. I do not trust the national media (ESPN and NFL Network, even though NFLN is better than ESPN) because I've found that they are often wrong on things and really have no clue what they're talking about.

Back to Ben; I understand that he was upset when Arians was fired because that was one of his closest friends. If he was really upset, I think he has every right to not be happy about what happened, but he needs to realize that the Steelers are doing whats in the best interest for the team, us fans, and him. Ben is playing the best he's ever played in his career this year and that is because of Haley. There is no doubt in my mind that Haley has made Ben a better QB.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 pm

steelerdude15 wrote:
Thank you for your take on things, I really do appreciate it. I also agree that the Trib is MUCH better than the Post-Gazette. I only go to them and 93.7 The Fan for Pittsburgh sports news. I do not trust the national media (ESPN and NFL Network, even though NFLN is better than ESPN) because I've found that they are often wrong on things and really have no clue what they're talking about.
The problem with outlets like ESPN is that they tend to lean more toward entertainment than actual reporting. They're kind of like the Rush Limbaugh of sports reporting. They DO manipulate their coverage to push agendas. That's why you'll see more favorable coverage of certain teams. Or why you'll see nonstop coverage of Tim Tebow. There's some really good national writers and analysts, but for the most part, stick with the local writers when you want good, solid information.

And there's one more IMPORTANT thing I want to say regarding the media. I've seen too many people on Steelers message boards confuse bloggers with the media. Bloggers are NOT media. Reporters actually went to school and studied journalism. ANYONE can start a blog on the Internet and pretend to know what they're talking about. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posters comment on a blog article and say something like, "Just the media making stuff up again." On every message board, including Steelers Xtreme, you'll see blog articles posted as if they're actual news stories. They're not. They're just commentaries from fans. That's not to say there aren't really good bloggers out there. There's quite a few I enjoy reading. But we shouldn't confuse them with the media.

steelerdude15 wrote:
Back to Ben; I understand that he was upset when Arians was fired because that was one of his closest friends. If he was really upset, I think he has every right to not be happy about what happened, but he needs to realize that the Steelers are doing whats in the best interest for the team, us fans, and him. Ben is playing the best he's ever played in his career this year and that is because of Haley. There is no doubt in my mind that Haley has made Ben a better QB.
I don't blame Ben for being upset. Me and my manager are good friends outside of work, and we work well together. If he was fired, I'd be pissed about it. But I'd still have a job to do and would do my best for his replacement. I get paid to do a job, not make friends. Same goes for Ben.

Almost everyone except Ben (and Arians apologists) agreed that getting rid of Arians was the right decision. A lot of fans didn't want to believe it at the time (and accused the media of making stuff up), but Ben was pissed and was letting it show. And he wasn't pissed because he thought it was a bad football move. He was pissed for personal (and selfish) reasons. My biggest concern at the time, which I stated over and over and took a lot of grief for it, is that Ben's attitude toward the situation could potentially affect the young players. We saw that happen with Brister. His attitude toward Walton affected the other players. Am I willing to bet that that's what happened now? Nope. I wouldn't bet on it. But I'm a results kind of guy. And right now, we're 7-7, the offense has struggled, and our good young players have all regressed. Does that mean that it's a direct result of Ben's attitude and poor leadership? Not necessarily. But it's possible. And that's all I'm trying to say.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm

I thought I was done, but I've got one more thing to say regarding the media ...

I'm not pointing out anyone here ... this is something I've seen over and over during my many years on message boards. Hell, I'm sure I've done it myself.

When you're debating someone and post a news story to support your argument, you often get responses like: "The media just takes things out of context." "The media likes to make stuff up." ... etc. But then those same people turn around and constantly post news stories in support of THEIR arguments. Well, you can't have it both ways. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1664291743

The bottom line is this: There's some bad sports reporting out there, and it should be called out when it occurs. When I see bad reporting, I'll be the first one to crap all over it. And even great reporters, just like with ANY professional, aren't perfect. And their errors should be pointed out as well.

But here's how we are ... most of us hate to be wrong. About anything. It doesn't matter if we're talking about football or politics, we're all homers to some degree. And we don't like to hear or read anything that contradicts what we believe. So rather than admitting that we might be wrong, it's always easier to just accuse the media of being wrong. Sometimes they are. But they're not wrong just because what they reported goes against what we believe.

The Steelers beat writers talk to players and coaches all the time. Sometimes they're told things off the record and it doesn't get reported. Whether we like it or not, they have more knowledge than we do about what's going on behind the scenes.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
I agree Wally.

Let's face it -- they fired Ben's best friend and a coach that basically allowed him to run the offense as he pleased. I think we have a somewhat disgruntled QB, and we have no one, and I'll say it ad nauseum --- no one to step into that badly needed leadership role. I got flack from people when I said that we were going to miss Hines and Farrior not just for their play, but even more importantly, their leadership. I got into an argument with someone that said all that was important was young and healthy players. I don't care what anyone says -- there is no one on that field that can fire up the players. So that's suppose to be the coaches job, but you still need that leadership in the lockeroom. I think Ben is too pissed off to be that leader. And frankly, I'm disappointed that Woodley didn't fill Farrior's shoes.

Thank God for Miller and Suisham this season, or we could have counted even more losses. I have to hand it to Charlie, too. He wanted that game in Baltimore and it showed.

This is all too bad, because we have some of the most talented players in the NFL. All I know is something has to change by next season, or I believe that we are headed for a long dry spell.
I agree that leadership is part of our problem, especially on offense. Other than Ben, I don't see anyone even trying to step up and be a leader. Maybe someone is, and we just don't see it. But if they are, I think we'd see it.

burgboy41 wrote:

Burgboy, I'm never quite sure how you feel about things. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 1797695198

You know I agree with you most of the time about Ben. But you lost me with the rape allegations. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 3939274466

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 pm

burgboy, it's FINDLAY. I should know, I'm from there. Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches 469886443

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 am

Quote :
Roethlisberger's criticism doesn't faze Haley

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said he and Ben Roethlisberger are on the same page "as much as a quarterback and coordinator can be." Haley brushed aside the critical remarks Roethlisberger made after a loss Sunday against Dallas at Cowboys Stadium, and, later in the same 10-minute interview sessions with reporters Thursday afternoon, complemented his quarterback by referring to him as "elite"

There is no controversy from Haley's perspective after Roethlisberger questioned his play-calling and use of tight end Heath Miller in the second half of a Steelers 27-24 overtime loss.

"That was an emotional game," Haley said. "Whatever was said can't be taken too much to the heart because that's the way this game is. Guys will get into it in locker rooms, in the building, on the practice field. It's the mindset you get into when you're getting ready to compete and coach a big game. There's emotion involved. I wouldn't really pay much attention to anything that's said in an emotional state of mind."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisbergers-criticism-doesnt-faze-haley-667250/#ixzz2FfDm4aMb

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches   Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches Empty

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger apologizes to coaches
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next