Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   Empty
PostSubject: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:14 am

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority says it is under no obligation to pay for two-thirds of the cost of a proposed 3,000-seat expansion at Heinz Field.

In a formal response to a lawsuit filed in December by the Steelers, the SEA contends that the proposed expansion does not meet the definition of a capital improvement in the team's stadium lease.

While the Steelers maintain that Heinz Field ranks 25th out of 31 NFL stadiums in terms of seating capacity, the SEA, in its response, argued that the proposed expansion does not meet the definition of a capital improvement because the addition or modification has not been installed in at least half of all league facilities, with at least 25 percent of the cost being paid for by federal, state or local governments.

In fact, the SEA contended that far less than half of all stadiums in the NFL have had such modifications of additions where no less than 25 percent of the cost was funded by the various levels of government.

The team, the response stated, apparently interprets the relevant lease clause "as giving it the right to obtain a seat expansion of up to 10,000 additional seats . . . just by demanding such without meeting the capital improvement criteria."

In its lawsuit, the team argued that a clause in the lease requires the SEA to pay two-thirds of the cost of a "designated expansion" of no more than 10,000 seats in the south end zone. It maintained that the proposed expansion, which would cost $40 million, qualifies as a designated expansion that is automatically deemed to be a capital improvement. The SEA denied that.

The Steelers went to court after a deal to finance the addition fell apart. The proposed agreement would have paid for the expansion through a $1 increase in an existing surcharge on Steelers tickets and a new parking surcharge of $2 to $3 at lots around Heinz Field during home games.

The team also is seeking $5 million in reimbursement for repairs to the stadium control room and wants the SEA to pay for a second scoreboard at north end of Heinz Field. In its response, the SEA said it is not obligated to pay for either of the items.

Because of the court fight, the seat expansion, originally scheduled for the 2013 season, has been postponed.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/sea-stands-firm-on-refusal-to-pay-for-heinz-field-expansion-672985/#ixzz2Jk8loPRb

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 am

SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   1505004552 I guess this means I won't be getting off the season ticket waiting list any time soon.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Quote :
a new parking surcharge of $2 to $3 at lots around Heinz Field during home games.
Pretty soon it's going to cost more to park than buy a ticket to the game.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:59 am

should of built a bigger stadium from the get go SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   2893009358
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 9:24 am

I would hate to see the open end of the field closed this is what Heinz field is about.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Galax Steeler wrote:
I would hate to see the open end of the field closed this is what Heinz field is about.
Personally, I hate the open end. The noise travels out of the stadium.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Galax Steeler wrote:

THIS! I loved the fact that 3-Rivers Stadium was closed in. I love the noise, I love the atmosphere. I don't need to see dahn-tahn during a football game. If I want to see that, I'll go to PNC Park.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:15 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Galax Steeler wrote:

THIS! I loved the fact that 3-Rivers Stadium was closed in. I love the noise, I love the atmosphere. I don't need to see dahn-tahn during a football game. If I want to see that, I'll go to PNC Park.
Yeah, from a visual aspect, it looks great. But it reduces the noise level.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion    SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion   Empty

Back to top Go down

SEA stands firm on refusal to pay for Heinz Field expansion
Page 1 of 1